Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think the Uzzi geometry is optimized for 180mm of fork travel... otherwise you are turning it into a glorified Tracer 2.. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    180mm Fork or else buy a Tracer 2!!

wuss
    I had a 170 Lyrik with 0-stack headset, changed to a higher stack height headset (and converted air Lyrik to coil so it stays higher up in it's travel).

I'd say it depends a lot on the trails you ride, the BB is pretty low, so at least on our really rocky trails I had to find a way to get it up a bit. Actually a 170mm fork with heigh stack hight headset will be about as high as a 180 with 0-stack (even higher when compressed). For downhill I wouldn't mind an even longer fork, but I'm sure it would start to be a hindrance on trails.

I had a Tracer too, and it felt very different even when I initially just swapped all the parts over. The Uzzi is a lot more stable, plush etc, more like a tractor when going up hill or straight terrain (better traction, slightly slower to accelerate but keeps up it's speed better). The different G3 dropout positions also has a big effect on how the bike feels, but the slacker positions lower the BB quite a lot. So with a low fork you might be forced to use a steeper position, meaning you end up with a steeper HA. On the other hand the steeper settings also result in a more nimble ride due to the shorter wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    OCMoto, please let me know how the floating rotors work out with the Lyrik and V2!
    Clearance is just right(the lower post spacing is actually more than it looks it the pic due to the crappy camera angle). Btw, I'm running Hadley hubs and it seems that the common problem hubs are Chris King and Industry Nine from what I've read while researching.

I had a 170 Lyrik with 0-stack headset, changed to a higher stack height headset (and converted air Lyrik to coil so it stays higher up in it's travel).

I'd say it depends a lot on the trails you ride, the BB is pretty low, so at least on our really rocky trails I had to find a way to get it up a bit. Actually a 170mm fork with heigh stack hight headset will be about as high as a 180 with 0-stack (even higher when compressed). For downhill I wouldn't mind an even longer fork, but I'm sure it would start to be a hindrance on trails.

I had a Tracer too, and it felt very different even when I initially just swapped all the parts over. The Uzzi is a lot more stable, plush etc, more like a tractor when going up hill or straight terrain (better traction, slightly slower to accelerate but keeps up it's speed better). The different G3 dropout positions also has a big effect on how the bike feels, but the slacker positions lower the BB quite a lot. So with a low fork you might be forced to use a steeper position, meaning you end up with a steeper HA. On the other hand the steeper settings also result in a more nimble ride due to the shorter wheelbase.
    This is what I was thinking with the Lyrik (using an external lower cup to compensate a bit), but my Lyrik is a 160 U-turn so it's still a bit short. It will end up probably being temporary since I have a Tracer as well and can use that for more mellow stuff. I will have the bike finished tomorrow night and hopefully will get to test a Totem on it this Saturday. I got selected by Rockshox to do a suspension demo on one of my bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Your a fortunate guy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just added a CCDB Air to mine in anticipation of the snow melting.... Very impressed so far with the shock... no real ride time yet, but the installation and setup went smoothly. Weight is at 33.8 lbs.

mtbr member
    Awesome on the CCDB Air gretch! Keep us informed when you get some good trail time in. How do you like the Straitline Silent Guide? I'm going to end up running mine 1x10. Spent a bunch of time trying to get 2 different derailleurs setup and then my nice new X0 shifter broke right before I put the bike in my rack to head for the trail. Ended up riding it in my 24T granny

It's complete for now and I got a ride in on San Juan trail before the rains hit in SoCal this weekend So far, I love this bike. It does need a bigger fork, but it actually rode surprisingly well with the 160. Plus it let me get a ride in on it and an initial feel for the bike. Looking forward to a fun summer!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    OCMoto, nice looking rig....

I've done a few laps around the hood on the CCDB Air and first impressions are very good mid-stroke support and extremely plush off the top of the travel. Good things in my books. The ramp up after mid-stroke is quick though even with HSC backed right down. Apparently that is a trait of this shock that I won't have a chance to test until I can get in some hard DH runs. The Straitline guide is nice.... no moving parts and it has a flush mount back plate that doesn't interfere with the lower VPP link.

Ironhorse Sunday WC
    Jan 2006
    Cool!

mtbr member
    So I'm pretty much ready to move on to a 180mm fork now. The dilemma is what to get

I have been riding a Lyrik Coil U-turn for over a year now(on my Tracer and now 4 rides with it on the Uzzi) and it was my first coil fork. I absolutely love the feel of it. What I am struggling with now is whether or not to go back to air for keeping the Uzzi's weight where it is(or close to it @35lbs) and whether or not I will want/need travel adjust. If I go coil I am looking at either the Totem or Marz 66 RC3 EVO Ti. If I go air and possibly travel adjust, I am thinking Totem or Talas. I personally have never owned a Fox fork but have read many mixed reviews about them, especially the Talas. I do prefer to work on all of my own equipment and have actually never had one of my bikes or suspension components in a shop. I think I can get past that on the fork if it means a solid weight and performance difference.

Thoughts from anyone out there with experience on a variety or forks? Especially on the Uzzi itself?

Thanks guys!!!

p.s. for gearing reference I am running 1x10 now with a 32T chainring and 36 cassette
    Last edited by OCMoto; 04-25-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added details of which bikes the Lyrik has been on

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've used a Totem and am currently running a Fox 180 Float on my Uzzi.... honestly I prefer the Fox, but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would prefer the Marzocchi 66. Itīs a nice fork. Or a Fox 180 Van. Coil is so much better than air.
    Perfomance is more important than weight.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would go with the 66. That'll be my next fork. Im still running an old one from 05 and its perfect. They had some bad years but the new ones seem to be back on track. So that gets my vote. Plush and serviceable, open bath is money

mtbr member
    Recently had Totem Coil, currently Lyrik Solo Air, but had a short ride on fellow's 66 RC3 Ti and I must say it's absolutely brilliant - so plush that it should really relief hand fatigue, not to mention front wheel traction. Marzocchi had some bad times but i think that now they are back in the business for good.
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

mtbr member
    Just finished this build after selling my Tracer 29. It may have company in a month or so

Literally just finished, tested it around the neighborhood and fiddling with lever adj, air pressure and any loose items. Breaking it in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    That is sick Albert!

mtbr member
    Alright, so after much deliberating with myself and feedback from a few of you(thanks guys!), I went for the Marz 66. Just installed the fork today, so nothing but a parking lot test so far. Tomorrow it will get some breaking in and I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Slight change to the suspension for me. Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO fork and Cane Creek DBAir. This setup feels really, really good, but not finished tweaking yet. Weights 35.5 lbs on the nose.

mtbr member
    Siiick gretch!

wuss
    So Gretch, since you've used so many different forks on the Uzzi, give us some experiences...

I currently have a 170mm coil Lyric but play with the idea of something bigger... Totems are a lot (40%) cheaper then foxes here, but sometimes I see boxxers for even cheaper.

But I do spend most of my time on trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, I've tried a Totem, Fox 180 and Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO to date.... the Totem and Fox 180 were mainly used for AM type stuff and the occasional shuttle, so pedalling was at a premium as was turning radius... I give the nod to the Fox because it is so much lighter and felt pretty plush and controlled when setup correctly. The switch to the 888 was due to the fact that I was mainly using the Uzzi for shuttling and wanted something with a bit more stiffness, hence the dual crown and direct mount stem. The 888 is bar none the plushest, most responsive fork I have ever had the pleasure to own. It just sucks up everything. The similarities in axle-2-crown height between the Fox 180 and 888 made the transition seamless as you don't really notice a change in the geometry (which is minimal), so that was good. The bike gained 2 lbs overall, but I think the gain in stiffness was worth it.

Basically, I wanted the Uzzi to be a dedicated mini-DH shuttle/park bike and my Tracer will fill the void for trail/AM riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Gretch, what length Thomson seatpost are you running? I wanna switch out my Kind Shock Supernatural 385mm for either a 367mm or 410mm Thomson Elite. I'm trying to figure out if the 410mm will be too long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by almeister View Post
    Gretch, what length Thomson seatpost are you running? I wanna switch out my Kind Shock Supernatural 385mm for either a 367mm or 410mm Thomson Elite. I'm trying to figure out if the 410mm will be too long.
    Its 367.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by almeister View Post
    Measure visible seatpost. Add minimum insertion length. Add little to be sure. Round up to next available length...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Its 367.
    Measure visible seatpost. Add minimum insertion length. Add little to be sure. Round up to next available length...
    Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast