mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Uzzi still not playing well with chainguides?

Greetings all, I have a new Uzzi inbound that Im pretty psyched about. I want to run a dual ring chain guide. Im hoping to run a Blackspire Twinty. Ive found quite a few threads on the uzzi not playing well with chain guides. However they seem to be from 2010 and earlier. Is this still the case. If so are there any guides that work well?

I fix your broken ****!
    MRP 2x is sick. Give that one a go.

mtbr member
    I don't own an Uzzi, but I can verify that the MRP 2X doesn't work on a Carbine. I was told that it basically won't work with a VPP suspension design without modifying the boomerang. The Blackspire supposedly works well, along with the Gamut P30, but it only allows you to run a 36T max.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You can "verify" that it doesn't work on a Carbine because you were told so? (Also, this is about Uzzi's)

It's not like Sam works there or anything.

mtbr member

Re: Uzzi still not playing well with chainguides?

I can verify because I tried to mount one on my C29. I think you'll find that the VPP2 linkage of the UZZI will interfere with the boomerang on the MRP 2x.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Is the Mrp 2x the only one that will work. Had one on my trek slash and wasn't too keen on it. I was forever replacing the outside pulley plate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I tried to mount the MRP 2x on my Tracer 2 and the lower pulley interfered with the linkage. I am running a RaceFace Atlas crank setup with 2 rings. I just could not get the thing to work properly with the VPP linkage. I understand the Uzzi and Tracer 2 share the same lower linkage

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Uzzi frame, Race Face cranks and dual ring guide never want to work together. The problem is the Race Face spindle. It´s on the wrong side and too short. As a result you have no space between the lower link and the pulley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Narrow wide chainring and type two/clutch rear derailleur...no chainguide necessary.

Although I ran an lg1 - later with just the top guide part - for a while with no problems. I was using xt cranks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ah, I seen. Which cranks have you been able to run with a 2x setup? I like running 2 x 10 but find I still drop my chain on occasion even with a clutch rear derailleur. I'd like to run something like the MRP unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh, sorry, my bad. I run 1X - totally forgot the 2X part of it by the time I started responding.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    For running a 1x the MRP G2 SL Medium angle works on my T29. From MRP's site:

"Will the G2 guides fit my VPP bike?
    The standard G2 guides (36-40t versions) fit most VPP frame designs just fine. We make a special version of the Mini G2sl called the “Medium-angle” that is better suited to the chainstay positioning of VPP (and similar) frames. The Medium-angle is offered in BB and ISCG-05 mounting only."

You can see the difference here:

Medium / Regular

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Fellows- I had the MRP G2 on my 2010 Uzzi. Terrible. I was running 1X10 and on the 1st 3 gears, it would rub terribly. I used washers, moved BB spacers in and out and no matter what, it rubbed. I finally gave up, and just got a wolftooth chainrun, lost the chainguide and now it works amazingly. If you really need a BASHguard, you may have to either live with this or perhaps try a different brand.

I also found that the VPP design hangs makes the chainstay hang a bit low, so when the chain returns to the crank, through the bottom chainguide pulley wheel, it is really close to the bottom of the chainstay. I had to cock my chainguide almost all the way to the bottom to give the chain enough clearance.

Chainguides may be a thing of the past. With clutch mechs and no drop front rings..I am glad to live without the hassle.

That is my experience - hopefully not yours!
    Uzzi