Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Uzzi or not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

To Uzzi or not?

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback from Uzzi VP owners. I currently have an 07 VPX, as well as an M9. I have used the Uzzi as my do-it-all bike (XC, little FR, anything rough) and now looking to update to a newer frame. I am considering the Tracer 2, Nomad and Chilcotin. All nice bikes but I am partial to the Uzzi. The only thing keeping me from the Uzzi again is I am looking for a better climber. Not that my VPX is that bad, but it is a bit of a tank.

Should I stick with the Uzzi or go with something else? Any input would be great.

mtbr member
    Ooh that's a tough one. If you plan on sticking with Intense and want to stay with aluminum I would say you can't go wrong with the T2 or the Uzzi. Probably save a couple of lbs with the T2 and the geo is a little steeper for climbing. My Uzzi climbs really well, but you can feel the heft climbing so it may not give that much of a difference from your current VPX. If you are considering a carbon frame at all I would think seriously about the Carbine. I went from a Tracer VPP, which I absolutely loved, to the Carbine and the Carbine just rips up and down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I do want to stick with Intense if I can as they have been good to me for a long time. My only concern with the Carbine is I'm a bit of a clyde and tend to plow, not the most finess rider out there. Not worried about breaking a frame but not sure it will be as "plush" as an Uzzi or Tracer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another good reason for intense to build a carbon Uzzi !

mtbr member
    Uzzi VPX is one pound heavier than the Uzzi VP which is not even 1/2 pound heavier than a Tracer 2 (all weights are frame w/o shock).

wuss
    I had a Tracer VP and changed for an Uzzi. On paper the Geometry seems very similar, but in practise (even with the same fork) it's quite different. The Uzzi feels a bit shorter and like more of a couch. The Tracer was not as plush as an Uzzi, and I would imagine the Carbine is even less so.

If you want something that you grind up long smooth roads, I would imagine the T2 (which I have not tried) could be better. However I'm clearing a lot of climbs on the Uzzi that I never managed on any bike before it (including Tracer), these are shorter technical steep climbs. The Uzzi has great traction, so while it's not the most efficient climber it can most certainly get you up.

I use this bike on a lot of trails where it's completely overkill, but I can keep up with most people as well as I can on any other bike. When the trail points down it really comes to life, and the faster I go the more it's in it's element. I just have one bike, and was really worried that I'm making a mistake going for the Uzzi instead of something lighter, but have never regretted it (ok, I did get a cyclo cross bike for riding to work). I even ended up moving to a longer fork and higher stack height headset despite having a 160mm in the beginning (the BB is quite low for rocky trails with a 160 fork and 0-stack headset).

Anyway, it really is a matter of preference. The Uzzi can be built up in many ways, and any of them will probably make it quite a lot better at climbing then the VPX. It's still probably a similar kind of bike...

Can't you test ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114 View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback from Uzzi VP owners. I currently have an 07 VPX, as well as an M9. I have used the Uzzi as my do-it-all bike (XC, little FR, anything rough) and now looking to update to a newer frame. I am considering the Tracer 2, Nomad and Chilcotin. All nice bikes but I am partial to the Uzzi. The only thing keeping me from the Uzzi again is I am looking for a better climber. Not that my VPX is that bad, but it is a bit of a tank.

Should I stick with the Uzzi or go with something else? Any input would be great.
    Hay Jim, all the bikes you listed are pretty rad and I'm sure you would like any of them if they were built up to your riding style and trail type. The new uzzi is a world better than your VXP(its still a good bike) it will do most things better dh, xc, jump the only thing you might have to get used to is the lower BB. The Tracer 2 is by far one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned. It climbs really good, there are a few climbs, really long and very steep that I have only cleaned on the tracer 2 and seen my friends on 29er hard tails spin out on roots and rocks. If you got the legs any of these bikes can climb any thing, The Tracer 2 reminds me of my VP Free on the HD.The Nomad was the same good at every thing but not as plush on the dh and drops but was a better jumper and felt like a snappier climber. I have not ridden the Chilcotin, my friend has one and loves it. He also had a Tracer 2 and Mojo HD, he wishes he never sold his Tracer. I just got a Carbine 275, It is a very rad bike. It is so fast, stiff, and light. It blasts up climbs with much less effort, I haven't gone up any really steep tec climbs. I'm not sure bigger(275) wheels are right for me, but I have to say so far there is not much not to like about them maybe a little weaker and fewer tires to pick from. They roll a lot faster than 26 wheels and do most things as good or better. The Carbine doesn't feel any lest plush that the Tracer 2, that might be because of the bigger wheels. I haven't ridden the the Carbine with 26 wheels. The guys at Intense talked me out of getting an other 26er and I'm glad to try 27.5. time will tell if it is better for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an Uzzi and it is a great all around ride for the reason's many have pointed out. With that said, if I did not do lift assist riding, and did not want to go carbon, I would be investing in the Tracer 275 for all around rough trail/light freeride riding. Its worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the Trace 2 is something I will give a lot of consideration to. I am looking for a shop that has a demo so I can at least ride around a parking lot with one. Iíll keep you posted on my decision as soon as I make one. Again thanks for the input, it is really helpful.

mtbr member
    Smithrider, you are not alone about carbon bikes, and I felt the same way until I rode my friends carbon Nomad next to my aluminum Nomad. Big performance difference between the two. He rode and in my mind abused that bike for three seasons and sold it to an other local rider that is still riding it. I hope that the Carbine holds up as good. I work at a shop that sells Intense, they told me that there is less that 1% failures on their Carbine and Spider Comps, most were the typical catastrophic impacts that would have dented, bent, or ripped a aluminum tube. But I understand you not wanting a carbon bike. I'm not sure I would want my M9 or any of my DH bikes to be made of PLASTIC I hope we are getting a Tracer 275 in the shop soon, so I can take it for a spin. It should be a great bike. Jim if you are in New England or close you can ride my Tracer to see if a large fits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Vice Grips - I am with you on the carbon thing. As a matter of fact, my Spider Comp is showing up at the bike shop this week.

The original poster stated he wanted to stay away from Carbon, so I crafted my comment as "if" I didn't want carbon, I would check out the Tracer 275. Now if it were me, I would look at the Carbine 275. I went the Spider Comp route as I am looking for my main ride for 30 mile epics in Colorado which is my main riding now a days. I still have my Uzzi for Moab and Winter Park and my 29er hardtail for the smooth days in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Smithrider, sorry my bad, your post was dead on. Pumped you got the Spider Comp. It was that or the Carbine 275. What fork are you putting on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Putting a fox float 34 reduced to 130 on it. I'll post it up with impressions when I get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    had both a vpx and vp. vp is hard to beat, and a lot better all-around than the vpx. a friend has a t2 and swears by it. really can't go wrong with either--just depends on what you're going to use it for. if you spend more time in the gnar/steeps/jumps, I'd lean uzzi. if you're not hitting big/super rough stuff all the time, I'd lean towards the t2. i actually end up using my vp for basic xc most of the time, and run it 1x9 to boot, but when i do head for the hills, it takes whatever i give it. I cannot understate how much I love the adjustability of both the travel and esp. THOSE G3 DROPOUTS. that's what sold me on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    had both a vpx and vp. vp is hard to beat, and a lot better all-around than the vpx. a friend has a t2 and swears by it. really can't go wrong with either--just depends on what you're going to use it for. if you spend more time in the gnar/steeps/jumps, I'd lean uzzi. if you're not hitting big/super rough stuff all the time, I'd lean towards the t2. i actually end up using my vp for basic xc most of the time, and run it 1x9 to boot, but when i do head for the hills, it takes whatever i give it. I cannot understate how much I love the adjustability of both the travel and esp. THOSE G3 DROPOUTS. that's what sold me on the bike.
    Adjustability is what is drawing me towards the Uzzi as well. Looks like I will be able to throw a leg over one this weekend and hopefully a Canfield Brothers The One. That looks like an intriguing bike as well, but hard to give up on Intense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114 View Post
    Adjustability is what is drawing me towards the Uzzi as well. Looks like I will be able to throw a leg over one this weekend and hopefully a Canfield Brothers The One. That looks like an intriguing bike as well, but hard to give up on Intense.
    I checked out the Canfield when I was shopping for my Uzzi. The Uzzi isn't the most rigid frame around (this was in 2009, the new ones are more solid) but the Canfield felt like a noodle in comparison.

It's good you can try them both and pick what suits you best though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    I checked out the Canfield when I was shopping for my Uzzi. The Uzzi isn't the most rigid frame around (this was in 2009, the new ones are more solid) but the Canfield felt like a noodle in comparison.

It's good you can try them both and pick what suits you best though.
    Did you ride the new Canfield?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had my uzzi for 2 years now, I love it but when I am climbing you will feel it, I can climb but no as efficient as I would like. So I went I got a niner rip 9 but I sold it (no too happy with 29er), and I got a carbine, I am really happy how this bike goes up and down!!! If I would like to get another bike must likely is going to be an intense.

whatever she says gueuze.

Uzzi all the way

I've had my uzzi for about 1.5 yrs (2011 frame) and I can honestly tell you, it's the best bike I've owned. This coming from a guy that's gone through numerous Ellsworth DH/FR frames, 6.6, VPX, Foes, etc. I have it built fairly light ~ 30 lbs and it does climb well. About a month ago, I was looking for a change and was shopping around for a Nomad carbon but then rode my uzzi again and decided this frame was hard to beat. My other bike is a M6 and it pretty much sits in the garage all year.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    I have the 5.5 FRO and it climbs like a beast! I also have the Uzzi VP. It's no climber, but a perfect, fun bike that is super plush. I love it! I only ride the FRO for races and the Uzzi for everything else. I owned the SLX which I bought new in 2003 and loved it!
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    I have the 5.5 FRO and it climbs like a beast! I also have the Uzzi VP. It's no climber, but a perfect, fun bike that is super plush. I love it! I only ride the FRO for races and the Uzzi for everything else. I owned the SLX which I bought new in 2003 and loved it!
    I really liked my VPX. It is not the best climber, so that is why I am looking hard at the Canfield One. I have a DH bike so maybe it makes more sense to go something much lighter (T2 or Carbine) but I dont think I will like the steeper geo, harsher ride (compared to the couch like plushness of the Uzzi) etc... I really like the planted feel of the Uzzi. Seems like a good bike, but I really like the Uzzi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I hope that you replace it with something that is as equally fun to ride. I'll I can say is that I am looking forward to having as much riding it as you did. And as for it not being the best climber, it's ok cause neither am I.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Well I hope that you replace it with something that is as equally fun to ride. I'll I can say is that I am looking forward to having as much riding it as you did. And as for it not being the best climber, it's ok cause neither am I.

You will!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So got her partially built up yesterday, but have still have a few thing to do. Sort of a crappie picture, but at 6 in the morning before rushing of to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    So got her partially built up yesterday, but have still have a few thing to do. Sort of a crappie picture, but at 6 in the morning before rushing of to work.

Nice. You're going to love it. Lot of good times on that frame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast