player hater

Upgrade Vanilla to DHX Air on SLX??

I'm hoping to drop a few pounds on my SLX (~40lbs) and was thinking of replacing my Zoke Z150 with a Fox 36 and the OEM Vanilla with a DHX Air. Any insights as to why this would be a good or bad idea?

Also, I emailed Intense to see what they thought and the response was that they weren't sure if the DHX would fit due to it's size. But, the Vanilla looks pretty big, too. Anyone know if it would work or not?

TIA

TC3
    mtbr member
    I'll suggest just get a ti coil and push the vanilla RC.
    Costs less and might perform better than a DHX A.
    Also stick with coil forks as well like a Van 36.
    No more worries with air pressures.
    You might look into wheels and drivetrain for weight saving as well.
    There are many light tires with big volume and are quite grippy.
    My full coil SLX was in 34-35 lbs range with reasonable parts.
    Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have the dhx air,it is light weight, and super adjustable.I wasn't sure how it would handle hits,so far it's like butter .It pedals close to a hardtail,and drops like a coil.

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005

Air

I have a VPX with a DHX-Air and a 66 SL up front. I love both shocks. They both took some time to dial in, but I think their performance rivals coil shocks. I love having the adjustability of air, so I can tune the performance for trail riding ( a little softer) or lift- assisted (stiffer to handle faster/bigger hits).

I spoke with Intense about putting an air shock on my old SLX. The guy I spoke with (can't remember his name) felt that since the SLX was a rising rate linkage, an air shock might not be the best choice. You might want to consider that.

ride lots

SLX rear shock fit...

...is a bit tricky. There might not be enough space for a DHX-Air in the tower. I have an early SLX with a Vanilla and was told that the DHX-Coil would most likely not fit. The best bet is probably to push the Vanilla.
    Stefan

ride lots

Btw...

How do you like the Z150 on the SLX? I'm currently running an '03 Z1 and was wondering if anything longer would chopper out the frame too much...
    TIA,
    Stefan

player hater
    Thanks for all of your replies. Looks like I need to do a bit more homework before I pull the trigger.

DonRacer- I love the Z150, but it is a bit tall and WAY heavy. I use the SLX as my park bike, so I don't notice the height too much unless there is a lot a climbing. It has a lock-down feature which is helpful for extended climbs. Otherwise, this fork is a brute and I have had no problems whatsoever; it's been able to handle everything I can throw at it.

Amphibious Technologies
    No-go on a DHX coil or air on an SLX. The reservoir will hit the bottom of the seat tube at full compression. Go with a PUSH'd vanilla RC (the full Factory Race system). It will, for sure, be better than the DHXa on the high leverage SLX, for sure. I had a Z150 on mine too and I really liked the slackened geometry on steeps.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

player hater
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    No-go on a DHX coil or air on an SLX. The reservoir will hit the bottom of the seat tube at full compression. Go with a PUSH'd vanilla RC (the full Factory Race system). It will, for sure, be better than the DHXa on the high leverage SLX, for sure. I had a Z150 on mine too and I really liked the slackened geometry on steeps.
    Thanks for the info. Nice bike! Mine is red with the Z150, too.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Nice ride! One question for ya. Your Thompson seat post has some kind of spacer. So what's up with that?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Nice ride! One question for ya. Your Thompson seat post has some kind of spacer. So what's up with that?
    This was before the Gravity Dropper. It is actually a telescoping seatpost set-up made by Tamer.

This was before the Gravity Dropper. It is actually a telescoping seatpost set-up made by Tamer.
    Thanks Scuba, you wouldn't happen to know if those are still available would you? It may be just what I am looking for.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Thanks Scuba, you wouldn't happen to know if those are still available would you? It may be just what I am looking for.
    Not sure about the Tamer but I think Axiom and Titec also makes them. The Path has Titec Kits (714) 669-0784

Not sure about the Tamer but I think Axiom and Titec also makes them. The Path has Titec Kits (714) 669-0784
    Thankyou sir!

Members who have read this thread: 0