mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Updating Lower Box Link

Will the new style lower link provide an increase in stiffness or any other noticeable change to a Socom frame?

The lower linkage on my frame is open in the middle (original design for the Socom). I've found the parts needed to update my frame to the newer 2011+ linkage on FanatikBike, but I'm looking for a potentially cheaper place. The lower box link itself is reasonably priced at $45, but the cup&cone pivot bolts are quite spendy at $40 each.

The parts that I'm looking to purchase for the replacement lower link can be found on Fanatik's site here:

($45) Intense Cycles Lower Box Link - For Alloy Bikes - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa
    ($80) Intense Cycles Lower Main Pivot Bolt Kit - Cup & Cone For Alloy Bikes - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa
    ($28) Intense Cycles Enduro Max 7902 Bearing - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

new bearings for the upper linkage:
    ($28) Intense Cycles Enduro Max 6001 Bearing - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

newer style shoulder bolts for upper linkage:
    ($120) Intense Cycles Shoulder Bolt NCS - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa (I really can't believe that Intense charges $30 each for these)

($40) and Ti bolts for a little extra bling:
    Intense Cycles Titanium Shock Bolt Kits - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

To update some relatively minor parts on the frame to the newer spec totals over $350 once you factor in tax and/or shipping! Is this true, or can these parts be found much cheaper anywhere else?

mtbr member
    I can't help you with this specific setup other than saying that a lot of people did this on their M9s and it worked. May be different on Socom though.
    However, I don't think it would change a lot regarding stiffness. The flex comes from the swingarm itself, not from the bolts, bearings or link. I don't think anybody that made the move on the M9 noticed and increase in stiffness (at least I haven't read anything).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    This refers to the grease ports installed starting with VPP2 bikes. The bearings are open to the inside and you can press grease in through a grease port. This is retrofittable to older style frames by drilling a hole into the frame and installing a grease port. There was a thread about this somewhere on here.
    However, if you find bearings that are sealed on both sides (2RS) in the dimensions needed for the new link kit you might not need the grease port.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The new lower box link for the M9 is more or less mandatory...otherwise you get the pivot bolts loosening and everything creaks like crazy.

Not sure how the older style box link affected the Socom.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    The new lower box link for the M9 is more or less mandatory...otherwise you get the pivot bolts loosening and everything creaks like crazy.
    Not if you know how to assemble the old link right.