mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Which Travel Position is This? (Tracer VP)

Hi, can anybody tell me if this is in the short travel or longer travel position?Which Travel Position is This?  (Tracer VP)-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp7 View Post
    Hi, can anybody tell me if this is in the short travel or longer travel position?
    Can't tell by the photo. The bottom portion of the shock can be mounted to one of two different holes about 1/4" apart.

Top hole = Long Travel (6")
    Bottom hole = Short Travel (5.5")

mtbr member
    Oh, one other thing.... your shock is on backwards. Flip it 180.

Other than that looks like a nice build. I had Havens on my Tracer for 3 years until I converted to 650b and they took a beating and still going strong on my bro's TVP.

CTB
    mtbr member
    To expand on what Trojans said:
    The shock will function fine in that orientation, but it may clash with the frame as you get deep in the travel - most notably the cable hanger that is on the top tube. You don't want that crashing into your air can and icing a $300 shock. I don't know if it clears (you could check by deflating it and compressing), but better safe than sorry. I had to do a lot of work on my bike to fit a different shock and have it clear those things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    To expand on what Trojans said:
    The shock will function fine in that orientation, but it may clash with the frame as you get deep in the travel - most notably the cable hanger that is on the top tube. You don't want that crashing into your air can and icing a $300 shock. I don't know if it clears (you could check by deflating it and compressing), but better safe than sorry. I had to do a lot of work on my bike to fit a different shock and have it clear those things.
    Thank you both for your comments! I never realized the shock was backwards. It came with the frame and that's one thing that I never even thought about. So do you think it's installed that way for a reason by the previous owner (like clearance issues)? Doesn't make sense to me because I'm pretty sure this is the original shock that came with the frame from Intense.

mtbr member
    It comes from the factory with the shock flipped the other way, it will work both ways. It is easier to reach the Pedal Pro lever while you're on the bike with the shock flipped the other way also. Do a google images search for "Intense Tracer" and look at the shocks in the pics.