mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tracer vs Spider 29 questions.

Looking at the either the Tracer 29 or the Spider 29 as my first full suspension bike and had some questions.

What is the headtube length of the large Tracer 29? I have a Revelation with 20mm TA I'd like to use for this build and it has a 7" steerer tube. I know it would work on the large Spider.

What travel are most people using on their Tracers? Looks like most people are running 140mm. Has anyone set the rear travel to 5" and run their fork at 120mm for a more XC build?

How stiff are the two frames compared to each other? I weigh 220 without gear during my peak riding season so am by no means a light weight once I am fully kiited out. I will be running a 142x12 rear end either bike to help stiffen things up.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    I ride a small Tracer 29 so I can't answer your head tube question but the other 2 I can add my opinion.
    I run my tracer at 5.5" with a 5.5 fork, I may try the 5" setting to see how it effects the ride.
    The frame hasn't proven very ridgid for me but I have quick release drop outs on mine, I have tire rub marks on both seat stays; I'd suggest 142 X 12mm rear to help stiffenit up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How much do you weigh that you are flexing the stays that much slowrider? If you don't mind me asking.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    What is the headtube length of the large Tracer 29?
    ...roughly 4.5" on my '13.

There's always next year.
    I have an '12 Tracer29 (with the old G2) dropouts... Here's my thoughts:
    I have always run a 140mm fork on mine. Seems silly to buy this frame to run a 120mm fork a majority of the time. I have played with both travel settings. To me, the 5inch setting is abit less plush then the 5.5 setting, and seems more "pedal" friendly, if that makes sense. If I had XC race this frame, I'd go with the shorter travel setting. It seems that switching travel doesn't change the geometry of the frame at all, so it's more about find what works for you.
    I'm around your same weight within 5 pounds or so, and was worried about the rear triangle. I currently run a 10mm thru bolt on my AmClassic all mountain wheelset, and the rear triangle is rock solid to me. I have no complaints, but I think I read the newer dropout design should have stiffened it up further.
    I love mine. I was out for 2 hours today and was reminded how confidence inspiring the frame is. It's a really underrated frame, in my opinion. It pedals and climbs well for what it is, and really is a blast in technical terrain, both at low and high speeds. It's helped me develop as a rider for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have ridden both bikes and to me the Spider is much more of an XC bike. Its not super light by any means but the travel and geometry are definitley more towards XC riding. The large size one i rode weighed about 28lbs with pedals.
    The Tracer on the other hand is an absolute machine on the decents but I did find it a bit of a chore to climb on. Still effient but I definitely noticed the extra weight (32lbs).

If you want to put a 120 fork on the bike then the Spider is the obvious choice.

mtbr member

not horrible flex

How much do you weigh that you are flexing the stays that much slowrider? If you don't mind me asking.
    I like my bike to run quiet and when climbing super steep hills in granny or middle ring I an hear the tire rubbing the frame, hopefully the 12mmx142 drop outs will solidify the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you for the replies. I am definitely leaning towards the Spider right now. Being from the Midwest means most of what I ride is Xc anyways. Not sure if the extra travel for a trip out west once a year is worth giving up the Xc riding ability of the Spider.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Forgot my weight; I'm 200 lbs geared up.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by MavAndy View Post
    The Tracer on the other hand is an absolute machine on the decents but I did find it a bit of a chore to climb on. Still effient but I definitely noticed the extra weight (32lbs).
    Just to add to the conversation, my large tracer tips the scales at 28.5 lbs. It's not an over the top build either...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    Just to add to the conversation, my large tracer tips the scales at 28.5 lbs. It's not an over the top build either...
    Can you give me a bare bones build and your weight?
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Can you give me a bare bones build and your weight?
    All XT except SLX cranks
    MRP G2 SL
    Charger Pro SLs
    Rev XX 140mm / 20mm
    Nic/Ralph 2.35 Tubeless

Check your PM...
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 02-25-2013 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    All XT except SLX cranks
    MRP G2 SL
    Charger Pro SLs
    Rev XX 140mm / 20mm
    Nic/Ralph 2.35 Tubeless
    Thompson

Check your PM...

Nice looking bike and build. Thank you for the info. Not making my decision any easier though!
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Nice looking bike and build. Thank you for the info. Not making my decision any easier though!
    Thanks...no prob.