Too old to jump

Tracer VP w/ CCDB questions

I am very excited to have a large TracerVP in stealth black on the way with the Double Barrel. I'm wondering about the access to the adjustments on the shock. In the photos that I've seen with the piggyback on the fixed end, the low speed screw adjustments seem like they will be pretty tight.

Is there any reason you couldn't run the shock the other way with the piggyback on the moving link side? It looks as though there would be more room for the screws in that orientation. I've looked at the specs on the shock and the mounts are the same dimensions so that the spacers should be interchangeable. Hopefully Mr Intense can shine some light on this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    wow, that's extremely tight. Don't know the answer, but at the same time, as an owner, don't be afraid to fiddle with the settings, as it's not as set and forget as we are led to believe. You will need to make course-wise adjustments to get the most out of it.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I would think that the biggest and possibly only issue (as long as there are no clearance issues) is that you would increase unsprung weight. In the orientation above the shock canister and piggy back are sprung weight. If you reverse the orientation, they would be unsprung weight. I suppose those pieces probably weigh in the neighborhood of 300g so it may not be the end of the world but it might be noticeable.

Give it a try and see.

suspension whore
    maybe I'm not getting the most out of my shock but I'm still loving it anyway.
    I've only tweaked it three times in the two years that I've owned it so for me it is set and forget. I'm sure you could flip it the other way but the adjustments you may or may not be making should be small and gradual and over longer periods of time so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    I rode it for a month when I first got it then tweaked the low speed compression two clicks then a month later tweaked the rebound one click... that's it for me.
    I'm often adjusting my for to different ride conditions but the only adjustments that I make on the shock are preload turns to slightly reduce the sag if I'm going to do a lot of climbing.
    Maybe I could improve the CCDB's performance if I tweaked it more but it feels exactly the way I want it to feel so I cant see the point... and the improvement over the DHX air was so massive it was a joke.
    (i run around 32% SAG on a 6.6 FWIW ).
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

banned
    Unsprung weight? I'm thinking Err is confusing that with CoG. I don't think there would be any difference with the weighting being reversed in that orientation.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Unsprung weight? I'm thinking Err is confusing that with CoG. I don't think there would be any difference with the weighting being reversed in that orientation.
    Well, it's a confusing thing for sure. But, I'm think that the with the weight of the canister being at the linkage end and therefore "below" the spring that it becomes unsprung weight. Similar to the way traditional forks have the weight of the lowers as unsprung weight and USD style forks have only the stanchions as unsprung weight.

But then I'm doing 10 things at once...

Too old to jump
    Thanks guys

Err is totally right. It would increase the sprung weight, basically everything that is accelerated by the movement of the suspension assuming the frame is fixed. The unsprung weight must be accounted for in your damping settings and therefore could be an issue but I think in this case it will be relatively minor. Think about how heavy a rear wheel is!

I may use the inverted orientation simply for inital setup to get the shock 90% there. Then I can flip it back the other way. Little tweaks should be possible with a box end wrench for high speed and a dime or something for the low speed screws.

Too old to jump
    ^ My bad, unsprung weight.

mtbr member

Tools

On my 6.6 / CCDB I kept a small flexible screwdriver and small open end wrench with me to make adjustments (not many) these tools negate the the clearance issues.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Tracer & Err are 100% on this one. It is always best to have as little mass as possible on the suspension components,ie the rear end ( unsprung). If the shock body is mounted to the link you are accellerating that extra weight & some shock bodies can be sensative to that amount of movement. If you are setting up a car to go fast at the track ( accelerate & handling ) you always start in the suspention , the lightest wheels and tires & bigger ussually isn't better.The adjusters screws on the DB are pretty easy to get to with a box end wrench and a small screwdriver or even better one of those flexable ones avail.
    You will love the DB on the tracer !

mtbr member
    what would you say is the advantages/ disadvantages of the CCDB versus the Fox RP that ships with the bike?
    I come from a moto background and am partial to coil... but I'm wondering if it's worth the bones?
    I'm 160lbs... all mountain riding (climbing, downhill, huck, jump, etc)...
    Thanks for your insight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    .The adjusters screws on the DB are pretty easy to get to with a box end wrench !
    I use a 6mm box wrench to adjust the LS adjusters on my CCDB on my M6, it works great!

Too old to jump
    boogenman -- Thanks, I always figured that was possible but everyone seems to talk about the screwdriver for those. I never got it.

ssman -- Coming from an engineering background, I'd say everything. Except for weight, but who cares because you will have the most traction and most effective pedal stroke possible. Ohlins design (let's be honest, it's not CC) is so elegant and effective at ensuring that all behaviors of the shock are controlled by the rider, it's just awesome. You will need to have some understanding of the function of damping and the willingness to dial it in however. Maybe even on a trail to trail basis if you so prefer...

suspension whore
    [QUOTE=stuffshredman]what would you say is the advantages/ disadvantages of the CCDB versus the Fox RP that ships with the bike?
    Thanks for your insight![/QUOTE

Performance, performance, performance, Adjustability and fine tuning > Cost, need to get correct spring, weight penalty.

In other words once you have it on your bike and you have it set up, the ride more than makes up for any of the set up issues. I couldnt recomend it enough
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0