Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Tracer VP vs Uzzi VP

Which one's the better All Mountain weapon.

Tracer VP or the new Uzzi VP with the air shock ?

mtbr member
    imo, it depends on the rider. i've been lucky enough to ride both and while the tracer is a very nice bike, its a bit too xc for me. I will note that the tracers were set up per spec and ran zerostack headsets and 90mm stems. i would personally run an external headset and 50-70mm stem since i like a shorter cockpit. The uzzi to me just feels right when i ride the bike. sure the bike will be heavier than a tracer ~34-35 lbs running coil shock and fork, but my everyday bike currently is 38lb. anyhow, i was very impressed with how well the uzzi pedals in and out of the saddle. if the bike i rode didn't have a 36T single ring, i could ride it around everywhere..i just had to push it up some hills since the climbs were pretty steep and thats a mean gear to climb with. The uzzi feels just like a headvy duty version of the tracer, IIRC the standover is about the same and the front end isn't high like other 6"+ travel bikes.

regardless of the frame you go with, it will be a winner for sure. Versatility wise, its very hard to beat the uzzi if you are more on the am/fr side as opposed to the xc/am side.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with the Tracer for a couple reasons. First, as much as I'd like to pretend I am, I'm just never gonna go big. 3' drops are about it for me. My riding is long trail rides, fairly rocky trails and some decent technical sections. I was on a 6.6 weighing 33.5 lbs. While I really liked the 6.6 I wanted something with a little steeper head angle (my 6.6 with Lyrik and 2.4 tire measured 66.5), lower bb (was at 14.5) and possibly lighter weight.

I could have gone with the Uzzi and gotten the head angle and bb height I wanted but would still have been on a bike that was more than I needed. With the Tracer my build is at 31.5 and I have no concern that it will not be tough enough for me. It would be easy for me to lighten it up more but I'm happy with the current build and I'm not a weight weenie.

I think if you are into bigger jumps/drop etc then go with the Uzzi. If you're into trail riding go Tracer.

NOJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Went with Tracer Too

Almost the identical situation as ScottW. I am coming off a 6.6 too. I was pretty much set on the new Uzzi, until I took a hard look at the Tracer, and decided it would plenty capable for me. I want to be able to run a 66 ATA on my more technical rides, while still keeping the BB height reasonable, and not slackening out the head angle too much. In six inch mode, and a CC double flush headset, the BB height is only 14.5 inches with the 66 at full travel (570 A/C). This is with a 2.3 eskar rear and 2.5 Nevegal front. Overall bike weight is 32.7lbs, but feels lighter. Haven't taken her out on her maiden voyage, but I couldn't be happier with how the build turned out. I can easily be swap out a '09 Talas 36 for the easier trail rides. Only thing left is what to do with the RP23. As other people have noted, with that big can, it seems to really want to blow thru the mid stroke...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If I go Intense, then I'll be deciding the same because the SS doesn't seem as compelling as Uzzi or Tracer for trail. Your riding sounds like mine except I will do up to 5 foot to flat. I want a bike that'll take it and I have a Fox 36 ready to mount in front. I'm thinking 'bout the Tracer, but if the Uzzi is significantly better and durable, then I won't mind the extra weight. My last bike didn't survive the riding.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong either way. Both great bikes. I would say it depends what you want. More travel, FR,AM, Mini DH, Go with the New Uzzi or more Trail/ All mountain go with the Tracer Vpp. I have the Tracer Vpp with 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5, XT build Kit, Shimano 20mm All Mountain wheel set, Thomson stem-45mm, Thomson seat post, The bike rips very happy with it.I called Intense before I got the Tracer Vpp.It was between the Tracer Vpp and the 6.6 The guys at Intense said go with the New Tracer Vpp.I am glad that I did. The bike is great.It handles everything I dish out and then some. It's great in the tight stuff,climbs very well-stays hooked up on the climbs,Rock gardens GREAT, going down rocky,rough,rutted,hills the bike makes you just want to go faster-AKA, Drops, you never second guess yourself on this bike. Feels very solid. Plus if you go with the Tracer Vpp you can build this bike up either XC or All mountain with the Uzzi 6+ inch of travel might be over kill for tame/light- trail riding if that is all you're going to be doing. You really can't go wrong with either bike. P.S There was a review on the Tracer Vpp by Nigel.Page from Intense. The review really impressed me. The guy-N.Page took the Tracer Vpp on a DH coarse that says volumes about this bike.One of the things he said in his review was That he was going way too fast for just wearing a MTB helmet not a DH full face helmet on the DH coarse.After reading that I would say the Tracer Vpp is a STRONG BIKE.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 01-09-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member

My thoughts.

I think Johnny is right, they really are two sides of an "all mountain" coin. The short answer is if you are planning on putting a 180mm-203mm fork on it once in a while for some FR and DH sessions, go with the Uzzi. If you plan on putting a 140mm fork on it sometime to do some XC, go with the Tracer. If you want to stick with the 160mm fork, all the time, rain or shine, then it really is up in the air and determinative upon your weight tollerance threshhold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Which one's the better All Mountain weapon.

Tracer VP or the new Uzzi VP with the air shock ?
    I have the same dilemma. Which one would be better for the megavalanche type riding?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I think Johnny is right, they really are two sides of an "all mountain" coin. The short answer is if you are planning on putting a 180mm-203mm fork on it once in a while for some FR and DH sessions, go with the Uzzi. If you plan on putting a 140mm fork on it sometime to do some XC, go with the Tracer. If you want to stick with the 160mm fork, all the time, rain or shine, then it really is up in the air and determinative upon your weight tollerance threshhold.
    This explantion hit it on the head for me (everyone else explained it well also BTW). I'm in the air between both bikes, however do love to go DH and FR at mountains like Mammoth. Sounds like the Uzzi would be it for me personally.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    set up an SS in 160mm mode with single ring upfront for DH this season and am looking for something to replace my hardtail for all mountain rides due to back problems and awesome hardcore terrain in the french vosges, looking for something in the 160mm range too. both the tracer and uzzi look intense for this job and it's a pain in the ass to decide on one of the frames.

regarding the mega type riding, dudes like vouilloz and absolon seem to ride really light set ups.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Yeah, the mega is won in the pedally sections, no matter how fast you go down the DH, if a fit guy catches ya on the ups, he fly past and gain back the time and then some. Lighter builds are good, but not too light as it'll take a beating.

Most of my friends rode Patriots, SS's but not built too heavy. Some on air shocks all round, single ply tires even!!!

Uzzi or tracer would work i reckon.

I ride my SS with 180 Totem for everything including DH and LOVE IT. Reckon the Uzzi would be a worthy successor though, although maybe not as good in the air ....?
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have a Tracer VP (CK &721) with Talas 36RC2 for general hacking about and use for rides where I can pedal up the climbs. I use a SS for DH built with Burgtec & Mavic 721, Fox Van 36 RC2 and use it on DH courses (Fort William, Innerliethen, Dunkeld etc) and routes where I have to hike-a-bike (usally 2-3 hours climbs).....this is more than enough bike for me...I was thinking about a Socom or an Uzzi or even a Nicolai ION ST with 180 Totems.....but it would be a bugger to carry 2hrs + all the way to a top of a Munro! :-)

The Tracer VP climbs great and is very capable on technical descents...but I wouldn't want to push it that hard through the rocky chutes...the SS can deal with everything with out question...I think moving to the UZZI, Socom or ION ST I would give me the ability to charge through some larger stuff, but loose the responsiveness and quick handling I have with the SS. I'm not racing DH just enjoying myself riding.....so it begs the question do you really need a bigger bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i wouldn't consider the new Uzzi in AM mode a bigger bike than the SS. The SS handles really awesome for DH and i don't wan't to start switching components all the time, that's why i basically look into to setting up a second bike this season. I'm just afraid that the Tracer won't handle harder stuff like rockgardens root sctions since there's plenty of natural lines like that out here and i don't care about weight either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting discussion guys. I too am weighing up the Pro's and Con's of the Tracer Vs Uzzi VP.

I ride a mixture of XC, All-mountain and the odd bit of DH. Although I want something tough enough for the odd bit of DH riding I also need something light and spritely enough for XC and in particular UK trail centre riding.
    Does anyone know how the Uzzi handles on relatively tame single track - is it too wallowy?
    I have Fox 36 Van R's to plug into it, am 15 stone and don't drop more than 4 foot to flat - which one should I go for??!! help appreciated!

If i was getting a second bike to complement my SS i'd get the Uzzi but build it a bit lighter maybe, Fox Talas, DHX Air maybe, lighter weight components, that means i have a very strong bike, but it'll be a semi-lightweight FR / AM bike. I rather do this than build up the Tracer because i be scared of trashing it. Thats not to say it isn't strong, just not AS strong!
    I am 210 and ride fairly hard (read 'not smooth' !!) and would want the frame to outlast the components, plus i could then build the SS a bit brulier again, so songle-ring etc and have that as a more devoted DH / FR beast!!

mtbr member
    The Uzzi is basically the Tracer vp on steroids, the rear end tubes, drop outs, down tube, mono shell top tube is wider & extra gusset at HT.It was posted somewhere that the Uzzi climbs and sprints just as well as the Tracer just a heavier ride, this is true.
    I personall would run the Uzzi as a mini DH before the SS.
    The new VVP 2 also works much better with the new Fox DHX air, no more wallowy mid stroke same for Tracer vp.

But Jeff, what would i do with my SS then....? Build THAT as a trail bike???

I can't do that, especially as the Uzzi is gonna climb better, and have more (TT) room to move about on.......i prefer the low standover of the SS for DH also.

mtbr member

New question here. So when will the Uzzi be available?

So when will the new Uzzi be available for purchase?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin

I can't do that, especially as the Uzzi is gonna climb better, and have more (TT) room to move about on.......i prefer the low standover of the SS for DH also.
    same thing here ;-)

mtbr member
    Jeff, The new Fox DHX air is that the shock that is out now? Or is it coming out for 2010? AKA when will it be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Jeff, The new Fox DHX air is that the shock that is out now? Or is it coming out for 2010? AKA when will it be available?
    The 2010 model, but the main reason the DHX air works better is the VPP2 shock rate vs the original version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin

The SS was originally designed as a park/play bike and it does that real well, but as a trail bike the seat tube is a bit short.The Uzzi @ 7.5" travel is more in the DH range for me anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    The 2010 model, but the main reason the DHX air works better is the VPP2 shock rate vs the original version.
    Thanks for the info.

Exactly, so if i was going to get another bike to compliment my SS i'd get the Uzzi as i need something stronger than the Tracer for my size/weight/riding, but the Uzzi would be better served as the trail bike, and the SS as DH for me, otherwise the SS would be wasted as a trail bike don't you think?

The extra 1" doesn't bother me so much, feels bottomless as it is!!

Hmmm a complex dilemma methinks!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There is no lack of feedback on how great the 2nd Gen VPP climbs, but how does it compare going downhill?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast