mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tracer VP shock choice.....

I know it's a dead horse beating and I've read all the other threads......so please bear with me and do me a solid!

Aggressive rider, 200lbs, love to jump, charge the roots/rocks/etc, really let it roll. 2010 Tracer VP 26".

I'm going to a Fox 36 Talas 160 (from a 32 Talas). I really use the Talas setting as a lot of what I ride tends to get really steep.

I'm not happy with the RP23.

My choices:
    1. Do nothing.

2. Have it Suspension Expert'd (killer guys, killer service but that's another story)

3. I spoke to Fox and the cool dude on the phone recommend the EVOL can that's coming out in a month.

4. Cane Creek coil - nothing but great stuff heard about it on this bike

5. I spoke to Cane Creek today as well. The cool dude on the phone recommended the Inline Air. He really wasn't keen on the coil b/c of the bob and the fact I ride to the top of everything.

Here are some thoughts:

I use the propedal so much I don't really know how it pedals w/o.
    So put the new fork on it and do my bigger terrain rides w the PP off the entire time. If everything is cool, slap a coil on it.

I definitely use the Talas. I'm interested to see how much bob I get on a steep climb with the front end slammed in the travel. It really shifts my weight forward (as its supposed to) and I'm hoping it will reduce the bob. if it does, slap a coil on it.

The Talas feature and the bobbing are so important to me b/c a lot of the spots where I ride are on ridges. A nice climb up to the ridge, a series of really steep pitches and descents then a nice descent down. Having to get off and walk really gets old and interrupts the thing.

Any words of wisdom?

you guys are a wealth of info and why I keep coming back!
    Thanks

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm close to you only in bike choice - I have a 2009 Tracer VP 26er with a CCDBA on it, and I had a 2009 Fox 36 Talas 160 RC2 on the front until this year. I'm a "sit and pedal" guy for a lot of my riding, and where I live doesn't have very difficult terrain, so take my comments with the right perspective. I'm also only 5'6" and 160 lb with no leg power.

I had an RP23 on it when I bought the bike, and moving to the CCDBA was a big step forward. I ride in the 6" mode and never used the Propedal on the Fox anyway, but I didn't notice any change in bob. The CCDBA won't fit the Tracer without offset shock hardware, though - the air can crashes into the top tube unless you offset the shock down in the fully-compressed position. Given that, of the choices you listed, I'd go with the Inline if it fits with no offsets. I'm very impressed with CC's stuff, and I have friends in CO that have tested Inlines on real terrain and given them the thumbs-up. The CC's take a fair bit of tuning, of course, but once there, it's really good. I only notice some harshness on chatter bumps; otherwise, I was very happy when I ditched the RP23 for the CCDBA. My DBA doesn't have a climb switch, so I can't give you any feedback on how well it works.

That's my 1-cent worth. Not quite the full 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I gave up on Fox a while back and have loved the change. Pike in the front and CCDB aAir CS in the back. You'll be so happy with the change! (I'm sure the CCDB Inline is just as good)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys!

I spoke to someone else today at CC (I called to confirm I had ordered the right HS parts) and he rec'd the CCDBA but said the Inline was great choice as well.

I called Intense about new linkage bolts and asked the guy his opinion.
    He rec'd the CCDBA as 1st choice of high end shocks. The Inline and the coil were both killer choices too.....but he liked the tune-ability of the DBA....which is a great choice considering I ride so much different stuff.

Either way seems like the CC stuff is the way to go.

Thanks!

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm surprised CC is recommending the CCDBA. Maybe the new ones have a different size, but mine crashes right into the top tube without offset hardware. If you do go that route, I can point you to pictures of my installation. Ebay'ed some hardware from a guy in Poland that makes them, and it works great. You just have to be very meticulous when installing the shock.

The DBA also, of course, lets you tune the air volume to be what you like. I run mine with max can volume, though. Being a bigger rider, you might like more ramp-up.

mtbr member
    Same boat here.

I have a 2010 Tracer VP (just broke it.. more on that in a minute). HV RP23 Boost valve, etc.... I got sick of the thing blowing through the mid-stroke on even the lightest of hits and on any steep climb.

I engineered HV Air can shims in multiple sizes after reading about this mod in turner forums, etc and this helped a lot. However, it never "fixed" the issues. I had the shock rebuilt with increased N2 pressure in teh BV, which helped... a bit.

Then, I said F-it and bought an X-Fusion RCX custom tuned for VPP with help directly from X-Fusion. It has actual honest to goodness adjustable compression damping (open-light-med-firm - like CTD) (yay!) and a rebound knob that does something.

Holy Mother of God!

Done deal. In 5 minutes of riding on a smooth gentle climb I knew this shock was the real deal. In that first ride, I was 5+ minutes faster over 4 miles. I could go on and on (and don't work for X-Fusion) about how good this shock is on the 2010 Tracer....

Sadly, I broke the frame last week and it's over. However, I am going to sell the shock (for about $150, < 1 season of riding), just haven't listed it yet. I bought a different frame that can't use it.

PM me if you'd like to discuss what this shock does better than the RP23 on this bike.

It will be for sale soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    CTB:
    in the CC guy's defense, he might not have though about the fit issue.......I do the same type of thing often on a bad day - stuff I shouldn't overlook......I knew about the fit issue but I thought it was only when installing it.......can you elaborate please?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Yep. A picture is worth 1000 words, so here's about a billion words.
    This album shows the CCDBA in both orientations on my Medium frame. Maybe your Large doesn't have the issue. Also, if you run the bike in 5.5" mode instead of 6", I believe this problem doesn't happen, but I absolutely always run mine in 6" mode. The ride is much more what I like in that setting.

CCDBA Photos by CTB1 | Photobucket

Here's the album of the shock after I bought offset mounting hardware to space it down away from the top tube:

CCDBA With Offset Bushings Photos by CTB1 | Photobucket

Here is the "3 picture summary" of those albums. Note that I inadvertently took pictures from the opposite side of the bike for pics 1 and 2. The bike swaps direction in those two shots.

With the offset bushings properly oriented, the bike has been fantastic. It doesn't clear by much, but it clears. I got the hardware from this Ebay seller:

Offset Shock Bushings Mounting Hardware Mount Kit All Frames Proshox | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ctb
    thanks the pics and info......tremendous help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't ride the tracer but I have a carbine, I had the same issue the RP3 was not a good shock, and the fox 32 at front was too soft, I switched to CCBD and I got a PIKE dual (i got a great deal on it) since I did the change my bike is a different bike I can ride more aggressive and I have not bottom down at all. I am 6' 2" and I am @ 215#.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Anytime. PM me/post if you go this route and have q's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    cvega........I'm essentially making the same changes....great to hear it's the right move!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Pike Syndrome seems to be going around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer VP shock choice.....-tracer-2015.jpg