mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tracer VP ride Review

Hi all,

here's a review from one of the world's best tester's, Guy Kesteven...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...09-frame-33657

Cheers.

Trail Rider

A couple of inaccurate statements in the review

1.The alloy top link also gets two different shock mount positions for either 5.5in (140mm) or 6in (152mm) of travel. More significantly, this also changes the head and seat angles by 1.5 degrees and the BB height by 0.3in (7.6mm).(review)

Changing the travel on the link does not effect the geometry , it is the fork height that controls that. The difference in the A/C height between a 140mm & 160mm fork will slacken the HA & raise the BB.(Jeff@Intense)

2.With a frame weight just over 6lb... (review)

Posted weight, with Fox air shock was 6.8.(on this forum) I saw one weighed at a shop at 7 lbs. Fox shock is about 1/2 lb ( RP3). Perhaps, the frame alone would be close to 6.4 lb.(med.) My old Tracer was 6 lb. with shock!

Other than that, good reading. Thanks for the link!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Hey Don, read it again

I glazed over the article and the part I saw that said 6 lbs was refering to that particular build being 6 lbs heavier than it could be with a full xc build and a fox 32 fork; but I could have missed the frame weight claim, I didn't read it word for word.
    That's the best prospect from Intense for my riding style in a long time. Very versitile and light at 7 lbs for a 6" frame. I really like the reduced pedal feedback idea; I'm going to have to arrange for a test ride.

nerfherder
    I think Don meant this passage:

With a frame weight just over 6lb and plenty of room under its belly, there’s nothing to stop the Tracer being built up race light and ready to rip past your riding mates. Riding a large frame set up with 5.5in travel the day before proved more climb-friendly, with great traction feedback and tracking from either end on loose trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

it looks like

the 5.5 and 6.6 are disappearing. no longer on the site line up. I guess the Tracer VP is replacing both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haaki
    the 5.5 and 6.6 are disappearing. no longer on the site line up. I guess the Tracer VP is replacing both
    Yeah, that's it, you're right. And Intense made it more clear with new Spider 2 recently presented by them. Think many riders, and I'm one of them, are aiming for more versatile bikes to be used in a wider range of situations, from trail riding to light freeride. If you want to go lighter than that, you're drafting XC waters, and if you want to go harder than AM or lite FR, then you're seriously considering go FR and DH big.

Anyway, the new Tracer seems to be a lot more bike than the 5.5 but it seems to fall short comparing with the 6.6. Maybe the new Uzzi is meant to take the 6.6 heritage up into a more burly package. The new Uzzi is looking freakin' awesome.

Another Monster.
    Oct 2004
    Surely the SS is a burly 6.6?