mtbr member

Tracer VP question

There's a red one built up at my lbs and the bike is gorgeous. I am curious about the very large headtube tho. Will it fit a normal sized fork like a RS Revelation 130 ?
    The price is steep tho. $6700 for the one in lbs. yikes!

mtbr member

1.5"

The headtube is a 1.5" headtube, instead of the regular 1 1/8". A 1 1/8" steerer tube fork will fit, however, with either a reducer pressed into the headtube, or a reducing headset. Cane Creek, FSA, Chris King, etc. all make a reducing headset, and E-13 and Problem solvers make the reducers.

So, will a 130mm Revelation fit? Yes, but it would steepen the bike out a bit more than someone might like. Just guessing here, but I figure it would bring the head angle down to around 69-70 with that short a fork on it. 150mm - 160mm would be optimum for this frame.

Wow, $6700.00, that is quite steep. Full XTR?

mtbr member
    depends on the headset used, but the 1.5 headtube allows you to run a 1.5 steerer fork, 1 1/8 - 1.5 tapered steerer fork or the standard 1 1/8 steerer fork with a reducing headset. i would run a 140-160mm fork on the bike.

mtbr member
    That is a pretty steep price. I just bought a new complete Tracer Vpp with the Intense XT kit with a 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 fork. For allot less than that. From a on-line bike shop. RBikes.com. Look at it this way no taxes, shipping is not bad $100.00 the most.Plus the money you are saving you can buy other MTB stuff. My bike MSRP-$5500.00 most places dropped the price a $1000.00 Competitive cyclist-$3995.00-Intense Tracer VP x-9 complete bike special. RBikes.com- $3,399.00 Tracer Vpp X.9/X.O, $3,900.00 XT, $5,200.00 for a XTR shop around get the best deal. The days of getting ripped off by the local LBS are over shop smart go on-line.

mtbr member
    For a fork go with the Fox 2009 36 Talas RC2 1.5 it is a work of art. With 160mm,130mm,100mm. It will make your Tracer Vpp a truly do it all bike. Or go with the Lyrik if your a Rock Shock person. Those are the two I would go with. P.S for $5999.00 you can buy Intense Tracer Vpp S.E only 50 of them made. RBIKES.com has them. Rode today- first time in the 5.5 in the rear setting drop the fork to 100mm felt like a totally different bike very fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    The days of getting ripped off by the local LBS are over shop smart go on-line.
    The LBS doesn't purposely rip customers off; why the hell would they want to? They charge more because simply they have to pay for more. They need to pay rent, utilities, usually more employees, and carry stuff in a retail location, which ties up $$$. It's much easier to set up shop online, pay 30$ a month for a hosting company for the website, and ship product in and out of some warehouse with 2-3 guys.

I'm not knocking online stores, as I purchase from them freqently for good deals, but no-one should knock the LBS for pricing. I'm sure esquire could chime in on this...

mtbr member
    The on-line shops I buy from. ARE BIKE SHOPS. They are smart. NOT GREEDY. Sell for a better price sell more word gets around makes for good business. Trust me I know. I have E/BAY business on the side. The reason I sell all my stuff and my rating is so high is because. I sell at a low price aka people feel like they are getting a very good deal. Shipping I don't BURN people on the shipping like so many other people do. A little true story for you. When I was looking into buying my 2009 Tracer Vpp complete bike with the factory Intense Shimano build Kit.I tried to find a local dealer. There are no Intense dealers in R.I So the closest dealer was Mass. The shop is called Bicycle Alley big shop nice bikes road and MTB. I asked the sale guy do you still carry Intense. I hope Intense is reading this. The guys tells me yes but we don't have any in stock-Then tells me that they don't stock them just to stock them the only way for me to see or ride one is to buy one from them and when it comes in then I can ride it. if you want one we can ordered it for you. So then the guy takes me to the Santa Cruz row of bikes and says this is want you want a Santa Cruz this is what I ride. No I wanted a Intense made hand made in the USA not a mass production bike that is made over seas. When the guy finally let up on trying to sell me a S/C Nomad. When I asked how much for a 2009 Intense Tracer Vpp complete bike with the Intense XT build kit. He said MSRP aka full price so I walked out. Went home got on-line. Found the three best prices Jenson USA, The Fix Bike Shop, and Richard's bike-RBIIKES.COM- Who match the best price. Thats who I went with and I made the right choice I could not be any happier with the shop RBIKES.COM and with my Tracer Vpp and the way the bike came. Note again all three of these places are bike shops. For my 2008 SPEC enduro sl expert I went to my LBS got a great deal. Note he does not carry Intense. I go to him to see if he can match prices of the stuff I want sometimes he can sometimes he can't sometimes on-line is rock bottom. There is another big shop in R.I- Providence Bicycle there are another of those MSRP shops. The bike techs they have don't know there a** from there elbow. They are pretty bad. My point can a LBS have good prices yes is it good for business yes. Are all the on-line shops I buy from bike shops yes. Last time I looked every business has over head and the ON-LINE SHOP HAVE OVER HEAD TO. That is not a good reason to charge high prices aka MSRP. But that is fine I will shop and get the best deals and spend good money at the places that respect me as a buyer. Thats how RBIKES.COM made me feel. And my next Intense complete bike will be from them.I can see why they do so well. The bike came to me not just thrown in some box with some card board on it. It came totally shrink wrap the whole bike. And the only things that had to go on the bike were the front wheel,handle bars, seat post that was it. I would say in todays poor economy allot more people are shopping around.

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    I also gotta chime in and give props to Competitive Cyclist for putting together my tracer. They too are an actual bike shop in little rock, not a shack in the middle of nowhere.

Back on topic, the 1 1/8 reducer headset is all you'll need to fit a normal steerer tube on the 1.5 tracer.
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Competitive Cyclist hooked me up with a great shop too. Another shop that was very competitive in pricing was the Fix in Boulder, Colorado. Another physical shop.

mtbr member
    I'm not denying that there are physical shops that sell online; someone include wrench science. I'm simply stating that if not online, pricing tends to be a bit higher than a web shop because of additional expenses, not because anyone is trying to rip anyone off.

mtbr member
    Selling at MSRP is ripping someone off. And as myself and other guys have shown. There are BIKE SHOPS that sell on-line below MSRP. I am sure they have overhead. But they are smart business owners by giving good deals word gets out aka Thats how I heard about RBIKES.COM. Not one place that I buy on-line from is not a bike shop. aka- Bike Bling.com-bike shop,Richard's Bike- bike shop,CBO-bike shop,Beyond Bikes-bike shop,Jenson USA- bike shop, Wheel World-bike shop. P.S last time I looked renting a warehouse is not cheap thats more overhead then your LBS.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-08-2008 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    rbikes aka Richards is one of my local lbs. They are nothing but standup people. My next bike will be a tracer from them in the next coming weeks. And their deals online are great and at their shop not all items are stocked not even close but some things that are in stock are given a even better deal then what is priced online. And even then they will work with you on prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1984
    rbikes aka Richards is one of my local lbs. They are nothing but standup people. My next bike will be a tracer from them in the next coming weeks. And their deals online are great and at their shop not all items are stocked not even close but some things that are in stock are given a even better deal then what is priced online. And even then they will work with you on prices.
    You are a lucky guy thats your LBS!!! SWEET. Mike the owner and Adam the sale's guy who sold me my bike GREAT GUYS GOOD PEOPLE. My next bike another Intense- on the fence about either another Tracer Vpp or the new Uzzi waiting to see the final specs. Will be bought from one place and one place only Richard's Bike's. I am very happy with the five star treatment from them they truly take pride and what they do.

mtbr member

Msrp

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Selling at MSRP is ripping someone off. And as myself and other guys have shown. There are BIKE SHOPS that sell on-line below MSRP. I am sure they have overhead. But they are smart business owners by giving good deals word gets out aka Thats how I heard about RBIKES.COM. Not one place that I buy on-line from is not a bike shop. aka- Bike Bling.com-bike shop,Richard's Bike- bike shop,CBO-bike shop,Beyond Bikes-bike shop,Jenson USA- bike shop, Wheel World-bike shop. P.S last time I looked renting a warehouse is not cheap thats more overhead then your LBS.
    Actually, MSRP is just that, its the suggested price, not ripping someone off. In fact, its REQUIRED many times to sell at MSRP or thereabouts by a dealer/manufacturer contract. Of course, what happens in the real world is things get discounted as they go online for very simple reasons. A shop doesn't have to fit the bike for a sale online, labor costs go down, they don't usually have to deal with a lot of issues after the sale (my brakes are squeeling, what do I do...?), and they can utilize online sales to create cash for new purchases of the newest and hottest. The key, as you said, Johnny, is to find a shop that has a brick and mortar physical shop, and CAN deal online. Lets not forget that not all shops are allowed by their vendors to sell online. Competitive Cyclist is one of the few that have done their homework and got the required permissions to sell items right off their website. This takes dilligence and is why you will see almost full MSRP retail pricing (except for allowed discounts), on their website, its part of their contract obviously. Doesn't mean you can't call them, discuss your build with them and get a full bike discount, but as far as "listing" goes, its retail.

Other shops may have a website, but don't "technically" sell online because you can't go to their website, click a button, insert a credit card number, and then see it shipped. This is typically your LBS who wants an online presence but not the difficulty of constantly doing inventory, constantly updating prices and items, and constantly processing shipping orders. You basically need almost a full time IT guy if you are going to do that. Now, you can get parts, frames, etc. from an LBS who has a website, you call them or email them and see if they will ship it to you. This takes a bit more work on behalf of both parties, but typically, one can head off obvious problems before the bike gets ridden and someone decides they really didn't mean they wanted a 140mm stem on an Uzzi....

My guess is, the $6700 price tag on that bike was full retail all the way around, and was a way to show "What you'd be spending" if MSRP was fully used. That bike would likely sell for less than 6k with just a few questions, some interest in the bike, perhaps a frank discussion with the sales person, like, "Dude, you really think I'm going to pay full retail???"

Johnny, I'm still wondering if that kit you got for your Tracer was going to be ours, as we still haven't gotten ours yet...

mtbr member
    I think it was AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! After your post to Paul at Intense shortly after that. Adam from Richard's Bike contacted me and said my stuff came in the Bike-Frame and the Intense -straight from Japan XT build Kit. As you know from the post that Intense's Paul wrote there was a huge back up on the Intense build kits being that they are coming from japan. Thank you again. Thanks to you I was able to ride my Tracer Vpp before the snow hit and before it got freezing down here in New England.I agree with your above post except there are some shops that will only sell at MSRP aka my story about Bicycle Alley is Mass, Plus I tried calling CC about a complete Tracer Vpp they were way to high in price. My thing is why scare off a potential customer with a MSRP only on the tag I would have the MSRP/ what the bike shop is going to charge you so the person can see what they are saving. Here is a little info I remember when I was first looking into buying a high end MTB. I was looking at Ellsworth and Intense at on-line shops this shop who is still around. Note Intense found out they were selling there frames below MSRP another shop drop a dime on them. So they are no longer a Intense Dealer. I know I guy who bought a 5.5 29 frame from them after they-the shop lost there Intense Dealer status. He paid next to nothing for that frame. So I have to say that Intense makes it a level playing Field for there Dealer's. Personally I think they should drop Bicycle Alley as a Intense Dealer. All they push is Santa Cruz line.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-10-2008 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member

no problem...

No problem on the kit, we are under 4" of snow, so why bother with the demo Tracer right now? Thats more of a spring thing...

I understand the whole MSRP thing, and the difficulty for small shops, I really do. I've actually even seen a few Santa Cruz dealers doing MORE than MSRP in years past (charging for an ala-carte when there is a perfectly viable complete bike option available). But, IMHO, that is their option, really, its the good old capitalist system and if they charge a premium for whatever reason, they simply will probably lose sales. The purpose of manufacturers keeping up with MSRP (or thereabouts), is to maintain the value of their product and to protect their dealers. Nobody wants to get undercut by someone blowing out frames without regard to their dealership, and the manufacturers don't "have" to sell their product to all dealerships, so it typically works well. Again, I don't think the tag on a bike showing MSRP is ripping someone off, it simply is attempting to sell at retail... And if they are a "retail" shop, well, the savy buying public will know that. The real key to retail is to offer great service during and long after the sale. Sometimes, getting someone who blew out a frame at their cost to help out with a warranty claim can prove difficult...

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    I didn't pay anywhere near full price for my Tracer from competitive cyclist. Their bike builder doesn't list the price for each item (contracts don't allow them to), but the final price is right in line with the cheapest legit places online.
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"