Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aargh
    Last edited by awai04; 05-06-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Maiden ride 2010 Tracer VP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer VP Photo Album-img_5234.jpg  

mtbr member
    Updated 2009 Tracer VP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer VP Photo Album-123.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New Bits

Love those throwback decals.

Here's my Tracer with a new 70mm stem, Spank Spike Pedals, and the Bionicon C. Guide v2 at the Slaughterhouse trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer VP Photo Album-tracerslaughterhouse.jpg  

Tracer VP Photo Album-new-bits-resized.jpg  

You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe View Post

Here's my Tracer with a new 70mm stem, Spank Spike Pedals, and the Bionicon C. Guide v2 at the Slaughterhouse trail.

Nice build, how would you rate that Bionicon? I've heard mixed things, curious how it is on the TVP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Bionicon C.Guide v2

I like it. It doesn't provide as much tension as an ISCG mounted guide would, but it certainly quiets down the drivetrain. Big plus is that you don't really feel it. With the chain gliding through the housing you don't have any mechanism adding to resisting forces. It also cuts down the chatter while keeping the chain clear of the chainstay. I've always been concerned about my chain grinding away at the drop-chainstay over the rough stuff but had no luck getting a regular chainguide to mount and then getting the chainline and cranks set-up properly. This thing is super easy to install and way lighter than the alternatives. The long-term durability might be an issue and it's certainly not going to replace the guide on DH and Freeride bikes, but I'll post if it breaks. The biggest drawback to this is the price. I think if they would have positioned it at ~$30, they could be selling the things to everyone.

One last thing: I see a lot of triple ring Tracers on here - the Bionicon is reportedly compatible with triple ring setups and only augments the setup. Like I said, no negatives but price.
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

CTB
    mtbr member
    This sounds encouraging. My Bionicon is on the way to me, should be here late this week. Where I ride, I don't need a full guide, I just wanted something to stop the chain from eating through my chainstay and possibly quiet the thing down.

mtbr member
    Hey CTB, please post an update with your opinion of the Bionicon once you get some miles with it. I would like to hear a couple thoughts on it before I try one. I don't have a real problem with dropping chains, but I would like to have a simple guide to keep the chain a little less floppy.

I'm not sure if the lack of a bearing roller is a good thing or not - just seems to simple to not have any drawbacks (i.e. ,chain alignment issues, drag resistance, etc). I really hope I'm wrong and it works as good as it did for 7Point ^^^. I have a 2x9 setup on my T2 and considering a Stinger or one of these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i saw that they made an stronger rear triangle (tracer VPP 2009)but i am not going to wait until it break because my warranty expires in 5 months so i will like to send my old and of they can send me the stiffer rear triangle i will pay the shipment cost ???? someone know something?? please help me

CTB
    mtbr member
    My guide arrived today. It's very simple and the installation took less than 10 minutes, and that was with me moving like a snail and pondering different placements. It'll be a while before I get a ride in, though - I'm booked up until after the weekend, so it's likely Tuesday for my first ride.

Here's a crappy phone video of my guide as I run the gears. I have an 11-34 9-speed rear and a 3-ring front (24-32-42). I didn't click into the granny gear, but it works fine. You can watch the guide move as each gear is selected. Not a great video, but it was the best I could do with no one around to hold the phone/camera.

Bionicon c.guide - YouTube

PS: The video is available in up to 720HD, but you may have to select that choice with the Youtube settings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    The video is available in up to 720HD, but you may have to select that choice with the Youtube settings.
    Looks good CTB, I decided to give it a try and ordered one from PricePoint today. Were you able to get it snug enough going over the chainstay wrap? I wonder if it is possible to cut a notch in the lizard skin and have it wrap over the zip-ties? Just seems like it might get a more flush fit mounting right on the chainstay - I should have mine tomorrow and see how it goes - thanks for the vid, the quality was just fine.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Check Bionicon's website. Their shipped price was less than Price Point's, but I had already placed the PP order. Of course, PP claimed it was in stock, so that was worth something to me.

I think it got it tight enough over the wrap, but I'm going to continue to check. I gave the zip ties a solid yank with pliers, and the front zip tie went where there already was one, so that part of the wrap is very compressed. I'll keep an eye on it and redo the mounting if I have to.

It's a tight fit between the cranks and the tire when it reaches it's maximum deflections for the outer- and inner-most gears, but it looks like there won't be any clearance issues. I'm going to go 2x anyway, so the outer clearance on the big ring won't matter anymore once I do. The rear tire is a Conti RaceKing 2.2 Supersonic, so it's reasonably wide.

mtbr member

Hope Floating Rotor w/ CK

Quote Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
    Did you have any rubbing on the fork with this rotor set up.....I have heard hope floating rotors and ck and i9 hubs have compatibility issues with the fox 36
    Hi. I was having rubbing issues when i was using Hope Floating Rotor pared with Shimano XT Brakeset. But, when i changed from XT Brakeset to Hope Brakeset....problem is gone.
    Best,

Tracerey

(For we that live to cycle must cycle to live)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    been on a bit of an upgrade mission recently, finishing of with new pedals (as I smashed a 5050 on a rock!) and a smaller chainring so I can ride up hills.

just need to order a Reverb!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ...didn't have enough post to put a pic up in the last post....Do now though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveooo View Post
    been on a bit of an upgrade mission recently, finishing of with new pedals (as I smashed a 5050 on a rock!) and a smaller chainring so I can ride up hills.

just need to order a Reverb!
    Curious, how many teeth up there in front with your 1x9? I would love to ditch my front D but no way here in socal where just about every trail has at least one fairly steep climb so it would be tough to loose the granny but I like the idea.

Looks good, get your adj. post and it will be complete!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Curious, how many teeth up there in front with your 1x9? I would love to ditch my front D but no way here in socal where just about every trail has at least one fairly steep climb so it would be tough to loose the granny but I like the idea.

Looks good, get your adj. post and it will be complete!
    34 now, from 38, from 42 some time ago, when my legs got used more often.....before I had to spend my days sat at a desk!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

My 2009 Tracer VP

Who needs a carbon frame when my 2009 Tracer VP weighs in at 27.03lbs with pedals?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer VP Photo Album-img_2165.jpg  

Tracer VP Photo Album-img_2164.jpg  

Tracer VP Photo Album-img_2163.jpg  

Tracer VP Photo Album-img_2161.jpg  

Tracer VP Photo Album-img_2160.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have one too. While agree that one doesn't need to go carbon - once you throw a dropper post on there and some chunkier rubber - your knocking on 30lbs' door. I've got mine built with a dropper, big rubber and coil suspension and it's 32lbs but then I need that for some of the races I do. I'd prefer the same setup AND a 27lbs weight. Unfortunately id have to trade up to a Carbine for that.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Jury's still out on the blue wheels, but the blue chain ring bolts are here to stay. I have a couple wheelsets for it - the Havens are my main wheels. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    NO! Not the blue and take that wierd massive bar end off....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How are the hubs on the eastons holding up CTB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelacon View Post
    How are the hubs on the eastons holding up CTB?
    I have been riding Havens pretty rough now for over a year and have had no issues at all. Just a fine adjustment with the pre-loader every once in a while and they are good to go - no regrets.

CTB
    mtbr member
    My comments are pretty much like Trojan's. Note: I'm a light rider (160 with full gear) with no power. I ride "light" as well, which means we have fairly mild trails here; even if I "mash" the pedals, there's still no power there; and I try to pick smart lines. That said, I ride the hell out of my bike when I can. The front Haven is new - I had to upgrade to 20mm for the new bike. Rear is on its 2nd season on two different bikes, and I've had zero issues so far. I really like the wheels a lot so far. No tape needed for tubeless = big deal. My Rovals were lighter, but every tire change mangled the tape. None needed here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just bought some havens for my tracer, half price in the chainreaction sale, was aware of the hub issues but thought I'd give them a go as I was changing to a bolt thru fork. Four rides in the rear has play, tweaked it up with the preloader & its been ok for a couple of rides but it makes you wonder..

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast