mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Tracer VP: Help with greasing the pivots

Today I tried to grease the pivots of my Tracer VP for the first time. I use the manitou grease gun and park tools grease.

The lower pivot was fine, I've pumped in new grease until the old gunk started to flow out on the left + right side.

The upper pivot (closer to the BB) seems impossible to grease. First it takes much more pressure to pump in new grease, and no matter how much I pump, nothing flows out of the link.

Any idea what's wrong here?

Plus, is it also necessary to grease the links which drive the shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like the zerk fitting is plugged... this happens quite often on the older style of zerks that the Tracer VP has. Best option is to replace the zerk... which is easy to do. And the upper pivots used sealed bearings so you technically don't have to grease them, although there is nothing stopping you from removing the shoulder bolts and going at it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Sounds like the zerk fitting is plugged... this happens quite often on the older style of zerks that the Tracer VP has. Best option is to replace the zerk... which is easy to do. And the upper pivots used sealed bearings so you technically don't have to grease them, although there is nothing stopping you from removing the shoulder bolts and going at it.
    Hi gretch,
    thanks for the answer! In the meantime I found some other threads describing the same problem, seems this is not limited to the Tracer VP model alone.

In order to get them out, do I simply pull them out with a proper tool (side cutter)? As described here: Removing stuck zerk fitting

So turn the bike upside down, grab the zerk and pull it out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, that's more or less the process... although I have had some stubborn ones that I have had to drill out. Good luck!!