ride lots

Tracer VP Headset for 1 1/8 fork

I just got my new Tracer frame and I'm planning on running an 09 RS Revelation (140mm max). I'm currently researching headset options and this is what I've found so far: Chris King Devolution, Cane Creek, Cane Creek flush, Synchros or run reducer cups (e.g. e13 and an internal 1 1/8 headset. What are people's thoughts on flush vs non-flush for the shorter forks? Any opinions on the options above?

mtbr member
    i would look at a hope step down headset if you want a zero stack headset for a 1 1/8" fork. the bearings are stainless and well sealed and easily replacable. if you don't mind the stack height i would put in a king 1.5" headset with the step down top bearing cap and the step down baseplate. this leaves you the option of just changing the top cap and baseplate if you go to a fork with a 1.5 steerer or even an e2 style fork. i would stay away from syncros as i've never had much luck with their bearings. hope are on par with king as they're designed for the wet in england and are sealed beautifully

Dude, got any schwag?
    King Devo. Buy the best & cry once. (like you did with the frame)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i have 2 short rides w/ a CC double flush XC, internal HS w/ a fox 36 on my tracer. I have a FSA Orbit Extreme external HS on order. I would like to relax the HA even more. I have talas on the fork so I figure it will make the bike more versitle. I had the same FSA HS on my 6.6 for 2.5 yrs. and no problems. From waht i could find the FSA was 199g. and the CC was 230g. Also, the CK 1.5 to 1 1/8 devolution HS was 250g for the HS and then another 72g. with the preloader and reducer. Thats some considerable weight. I am questioning the weight claim of the FSA though. I will have the FSA on Wed. or Thur.

mtbr member
    I tried Syncros, CC, FSA and reset racing for my SS with 1-1/8 forks. I didn"t try King because I want to be different. Above all, Rest Racing was the best, but for the best stack height purpose, I use Syncros for the bottom and Reset for the top. I wanted to use Syncros straight but the top didn't work that well and it was either too tight or loose (may be something wrong with my set) so I swapped the top back to Rest then no issues and they look great.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"