mtbr member

Tracer VP with DT Swiss M212. Possible?

Can anyone help out? I am looking to change my RP23 for DT Swiss M212 and want to know if this will fit, and whether it suits the bike.

1) The stroke of the M212 is 55mm not 57mm, does that make a real world difference or is it just how the companies measure? 200x57 is so popular that it would seem stupid of DT not to produce a shock with this stroke.

2) Will I need anything extra for mounting hardware?
    DT says the hardware provided with the M212 is 22.2 / 25.4 x 6/8 but I don't really understand what that means (I guess they mean 22.2 x 6mm upper and 25.4 x 8mm lower but this doesn't correspond with their schematic on their website http://www.dtswiss.com/CmsPages/GetF...6-ac02dff070a1

I read somewhere that the mounting hardware for the TVP is 6mm x 24.4mm for the upper mount and 6mm x 41mm for the lower mount but I am not sure if this is correct or even if it referring to the sam thing as the DT website.

3) Supposing it fits without an issue does anyone have any experience with DT shocks, particularly on a TVP? I have run DT Swiss forks for a few years now and love them but never tried one of their shocks.

Any light that can be shed on this would be excellent, thanks. BTW I use my TVP mainly for backcountry trail use, not too aggressive, the occasional jump etc.

mtbr member
    Sorry I can't be too much help, since it's not a real common mod you might want to try looking through TVP Photo Album thread and see if you can find someone that has one and send them a PM with your questions. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Looked already, not one!

I've looked at other mounting hardware kits from DT and they do one at 40.9mm (closest to 41mm) and 22.2mm (closet to 24.4mm). I am not sure how precise all the figures need to be and measuring my existing hardware and mounts with a ruler is not really very accurate.

Would putting a 1mm washer either side of the 22.2 hardware (bringing it 24.2) be doable?

Does anyone actual have the accurate measurement for the TVP shock mounts? (I am not 100% that 24.4mm an 41mm is correct)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Ink, this is directly from the manual for the Tracer VP shock spec:

Tracer VP specific Shock Spec:

Your Tracer frame accepts a 7.875Ē x 2.25Ē shock. The bolts used are 6mm x 45mm at the frame (with 6mm x 25mm reducers) and 6mm x 50mm at the top link (with 6mm x 41mm reducers).

I thought I had more, but this is really what I was looking for. Sounds like the specs you had for the M212 are pretty dang close. If you can find a 1mm spacer like you said it should eliminate any play if there is any (although may not even be necessary). I couldn't imagine DT making a shock like this and not matching specs of the widely used RP23.

Hope it helps...

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for your help. I've written to DT to see if they make correct size hardware. See what they say!

mtbr member
    So incase anyone else is looking for the info on this as well I just a reply from DT with the available sizes, these are the closest ones they produce:-

6mm x 23.8mm (permissible installation range [mm] 23.8~24.1); part number : CWBXXXXSA2380S
    6mm x 27.8mm (permissible installation range [mm] 27.8~28.1): part number : CWBXXXXSA2780S
    6mm x 40.9mm (permissible installation range [mm] 40.9~41.3): part number : CWBXXXXSA4090S

However, I also found this guy on ebay Proshox who will make them in any size for any frame = result!!!

Now just got to figure out whether it will be a good match. Guess I will just have to try.

mtbr member
    So finally maybe I won't try. I just got a great response from Sam at Intense :-

I definitely recommend against using that shock for the style of riding you are looking to do. It will also be really difficult to source the hardware to use with those spherical bearings, since the Tracer VP uses fairly wide hardware. I think that you should look into something like the new Fox CTD shock or the Rockshox Monarch + shocks, as those are great and reasonably priced options. I donít personally have experience with that DT shock, but they arenít know for being the most reliable shock beyond purely race use.

Thanks very much Sam. Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Glad you got it sorted out - Sam is the man for sure. Looks like there's a reason you didn't see any of them on the TVP album thread. Never tried it, but I've heard good things about the Monarch.