mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Tracer VP a Cross Country Bike!!! Editorial review

From
    http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...1784-0,00.html

Mike Cushionbury said that Curiously, despite more travel and a higher leverage ratio, the Tracer tends to feel much stiffer through the stroke, more in line with a great cross-country bike compared with the LT2's softer all-mountain ride. As such, the Intense Tracer VP retains a distinct personality all its own. The aggressive SoCal feel, based on quicker handling, will benefit riders and their western terrain or those who are coming off a short-travel XC rig or hardtail.

Blur is a all mountain and tracer is a Cross Country bike?
    Perhaps he used a fox 2008 with high propedal level ?

mtbr member

strange...

Definately strange, as what I've experienced and 80% of the tracer riders I've spoken to, is that the stock RP23 on the Tracer was a bit too soft. He kind of contradicts himself as well when he says that with the higher leverage ratio, more air pressure is needed and then states that it is stiff through the stroke. Um, maybe they just overpressured the RP23? Seems to me as they set the Tracer up to be an XC bike, as they had a Talas RLC 100-140 fork, and not an RC2 36, which according to their measurements gave them a head angle from 69 to 72. Yes, that will feel like an XC bike, clearly.

Put a 160mm fork on that exact frame in 6" mode and you get a completely different bike, or combine a longer fork with the 5.5" setting for another feel. Versatility is the name of the game with the Tracer, and by saddling the frame with the max 140mm fork, 2.25" tires, lightweight build, they definately were setting it up in what I would call XC mode.

mtbr member
    Also the same misinformation that the shorter travel setting steepens the head angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well that is the worst magazine ever, even MBA is better, and MBA is awful. I bet they didn't even ride it, frickin roadies!!

mtbr member
    The Tracer Vpp a XC bike. More like a ALL Mountain bike. I agree the Fox rp-23 is very plush that was the first thing I notice when I rode my Tracer Vpp when I got it.I stated that in my Tracer Vpp review. They should have tested it with a Fox 36 Talas RC2. In the 140mm/ 5.5 setting then in the 160mmm/6.0 setting that would have been the way to go as far as testing the bike. They did the Tracer Vpp a great injustice by doing that GAFF test.If I was Intense I would be careful who I send a Tracer Vpp to do a bike test. I would stick to MTB mags not a road mag. P.S Even putting more air in the Fox rp-23 it still is very plush I would not use the word firm-stiff through the stroke- to describe that shock at all. P.S The 5.5 setting with 160mm is what I have been running very nice. Big hills just drop it to 130mm.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 01-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie11
    Well that is the worst magazine ever, even MBA is better, and MBA is awful. I bet they didn't even ride it, frickin roadies!!
    This review has been written by Mike Cushionbury who is a respected and experienced mountain-biker.
    http://junkshow.mountainbike.com/

But is possible that his shock was worng setting. Tracer use level 1 propedal, perhaps his fox was level 3 ...
    If your said that is very plush i prefer this opinion... then you vcan change the camera of shock to normal volume camera => more progressive.