CTB
    mtbr member

Tracer VP and Cane Creek DB Air - fitment issues RESOLVED

Hi all. I got bored and since I couldn't afford a new 275 this year, I thought I'd freshen up my Tracer VP with a new shock. After getting dimensions from Cane Creek (they sent me the drawing for the shock with all the dimensions on it - very nice!) and doing what I thought were enough measurements on the bike, it appeared like it would fit. I got a good deal on a used CCDBA, which arrived this past week.

The good news: You CAN fit a CCDBA on your Tracer VP.
    The bad news: You can ONLY fit it in 5.5" travel mode.

NOTE: Apparently sizes large and bigger will fit the shock without this issue, based on info below. Mine is a medium.

Here are some pictures showing what does and doesn't work the the Tracer VP and a CCDBA.

Shock mounted can-up in 5.5" mode:

Full compression in 5.5" mode:

Shock mounted can-up in 6" mode:

Shock mounted can-down in 6" mode:

I also compressed the shock before mounting it to clear the front derailleur cable stop in 6" mode, and the can then proceeds to hit the top tube even harder than when can-up at full compression. I couldn't get a picture of that.

I always keep my bike in the 6" mode because it rides completely differently (and how I like) from the 5.5" mode. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this fly in 6" mode without cutting and welding the bike, I'd love to hear them. I've been noodling on this for a few days now and haven't come up with a feasible idea. I'm pretty disappointed, as I really wanted to get this shock on the bike. As it is, I'll still mount the shock and tune it in 5.5" mode to see what I can do with it. All the future frames I'm considering use this same size shock, so I plan on keeping it for future use, even if it isn't on this frame.
    Last edited by CTB; 06-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can't offer any help, but it answers my quandry over whether to go DB air or coil on my Tracer in a month or so's time!

EDIT:
    Although I don't run a front mech (and haven't for approx 12 years )
    Last edited by Daveooo; 05-20-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: addition

CTB
    mtbr member
    That's also part of why I posted this - if anyone was pondering a CCDBA for their Tracer VP, I hoped to help them know exactly what they were getting into. Mission accomplished!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I doubt you want to hack on a nice frame, but this a guess, it looks like you could drill out the top cable stop, drill a small hole for a small zip tie as close to the frame as possible on the lower stop, then grind the rest of the stop off leaving just enough to hold the zip tie then run a full housing.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ran my TVP with a CCDB-A for a long time with zero issues. I ran it in the orientation you showed first, and I ran it in 6" mode. It was a L frame, so maybe there was a bit more room. Does your shock have that newer hi volume air can? Maybe you could get more clearance running the smaller volume can?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Twotone, I thought about buzzing the cable stay down so that the shock cleared, but that won't work either. I compresed the shock and installed it past the cable stay, and then it proceeds to crash into the top tube just like it does in the other orientation.

Bnortho, a ha...that is interesting. Mine is a medium, so that must be one of the differences between the two. Now I'm even more bummed! My CCDBA is the standard-volume can. The high-volume is bigger than this one.

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bummer, it was a great shock too, I really liked the way it performed.Break out the dremel!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Really the welder. The top shock mount (front?) needs to be the slightest bit farther from the top tube. Otherwise, no dice.

mtbr member
    Just an idea: would offset bushings help?

CTB
    mtbr member
    That was my initial thought - put an offset bushing in the top eye to space the shock down away from the top tube since that end of the shock has very little motion. It's pretty hard to simulate that on the bike, but from what I can see, it'll help but not fix it. I installed the shock without the upper hardware in (basically an empty shock eye) and tried to use that play to determine if an offset bushing would help. It appears that not enough space is gained to make it work. I believe that putting an offset bushing on the bottom will do weird things to the kinematics because of how much that pivot rotates on this bike. Any one have any experience there?

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Thanks 4 posting it. I was thinking about getting a CCDB 4 my Tracer too. I went with a FOX DHX air 5.0 instead.
    GOD SPEED # 58 YOU'LL BE MISSED

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have a new update, as of yesterday. I decided to go ahead and try the offset bushings as a way to get the shock down more to clear the top tube. Yesterday I finally had all the parts needed (needed new DU bushings, which Cane Creek has for the best price and great service), so I gave it a shot. I've successfully made it clear the top tube with this setup. The head angle is maybe 0.5 steeper, but I think I can live with that. We got rained out yesterday, so I couldn't take a test ride. I also know that "without pics, this thread is useless," so I'll take some pictures of the new setup showing the clearance at full compression and post them. I'm excited to try out this shock - I hope it will be worth the weight and wait!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Ok, here are more details on my installation. I bought two offset bushings from seller "Proshox" on Ebay. He is from Poland, but he had good feedback and people online said they had no issues, so I gave it a shot. His bushings are steel (i.e. heavy), but also half the price of the Titanium ones from England. Since I didn't know if this would work, I went with the cheaper option. Proshox came through with hardware that matched the Cane Creek hardware's OD perfectly, and total time from order to delivery to Detroit, Michigan, was only about 2 weeks. Not bad at all. I would buy from him again.

Here are pictures showing my final installation:

Note the clearance at full compression now compared to the original shots above:

These show the offset at the top mount.

Test ride shortly.

mtbr member
    I am interested in the DB Air as well. How that workout with the Offset Bushing? Does the bike now handle as expected?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Ok, here are more details on my installation. I bought two offset bushings from seller "Proshox" on Ebay. He is from Poland, but he had good feedback and people online said they had no issues, so I gave it a shot. His bushings are steel (i.e. heavy), but also half the price of the Titanium ones from England. Since I didn't know if this would work, I went with the cheaper option. Proshox came through with hardware that matched the Cane Creek hardware's OD perfectly, and total time from order to delivery to Detroit, Michigan, was only about 2 weeks. Not bad at all. I would buy from him again.

Here are pictures showing my final installation:

Note the clearance at full compression now compared to the original shots above:

These show the offset at the top mount.

Test ride shortly.