Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226

    Tracer VP Arrived!! v.pics

    A few days ago I got a knock from a man in brown asking for some help. Look what he dropped off:


    Big dent, no worries!



    THIS is how you ship a bike:
    \


    Assembled:









    Frame: Intense Tracer VP Large White
    Fork: 36 TALAS RC2 1.5
    Headset: King 1.5
    Stem: Synchros AM 80mm
    Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC
    Brakes: Avid Elixir CR (203f/185r)
    Grips: Salsa Juegos de Fuego
    Wheels: I9 Enduro w/ Stans
    Tires: Mountain King 2.4 UST
    Drivetrain: XT
    Pedals: 647
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT


    I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet because the damn fork arrived with an oil leak on the TALAS side Hopefully that will be corrected tomorrow and I can enjoy my long Thanksgiving break outside

    BIG thanks to Drew and Eric at Competitivecyclist for putting this together
    Last edited by jonny427; 11-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    179

    Nice rig!

    Bike looks really nice, and well thought out. Be curious to know what the final weight was, as I trying to get a feel for Tracer builds.


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    118
    Cograts! Looks absolutely sick!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    518
    Nice.

    Might want to cut down that rear skewer a bit though.
    Romani ite domum

  5. #5
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    Nice.

    Might want to cut down that rear skewer a bit though.
    Good catch man! I'll take care of that shortly.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,344
    jesus christ that thing is pretty. congrats!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boogenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    nice

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,667
    Nice build. It appears to be the exact same as mine except for the tires, pedals, seat and skewer. You will love the way it rides!

  9. #9
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,853
    Love the red anodized bling! Awesome looking bike!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10
    Very nice!

    I have that saddle, don't expect those cloth bits at the back to stay white for very long

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    A few days ago I got a knock from a man in brown asking for some help. Look what he dropped off:


    Big dent, no worries!



    THIS is how you ship a bike:
    \


    Assembled:









    Frame: Intense Tracer VP Large White
    Fork: 36 TALAS RC2 1.5
    Headset: King 1.5
    Stem: Synchros AM 80mm
    Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC
    Brakes: Avid Elixir CR (203f/185r)
    Grips: Salsa Juegos de Fuego
    Wheels: I9 Enduro w/ Stans
    Tires: Mountain King 2.4 UST
    Drivetrain: XT
    Pedals: 647
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT


    I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet because the damn fork arrived with an oil leak on the TALAS side Hopefully that will be corrected tomorrow and I can enjoy my long Thanksgiving break outside

    BIG thanks to Drew and Eric at Competitivecyclist for putting this together
    vey nice !!!!

    I would love to get the same !!

    how tall are you,please ?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Christ D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    485
    Very luvely!!!!! Nice build, White seems to be a hit.
    Those guy's at CC allway's doing their best to please the rest.Enjoy it

  13. #13
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by a_fisher
    don't expect those cloth bits at the back to stay white for very long
    They're already dirty

  14. #14
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by lucash290
    how tall are you,please ?
    I'm 6" with a 31.5" inseam and the Large fits just fine riding around the block. I'll post a better review after some trail time this weekend.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,184
    jonny427, you've just got to get rid of those XT gear position indicators and shift by feel. You can unscrew them and there is a nice little cover hidden behind them. Looks a lot less comfort bike!

    I'm jealous of the bike though.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Just how noisy are the I9 hubs? I want a front hub that I can convert from 15mm to 20mm if I change forks...Chris Kings aren't available yet that I can find.

  17. #17
    This is how it started...
    Reputation: sdsantacruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    I like the look....what's it weigh in at?
    Life is about the ride.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Sweet build. I would have gone with red I9s though.

  19. #19
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Sweet build. I would have gone with red I9s though.
    I debated for 2 months before I settled on the stealth bling.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,463
    Perfect! Nice build man.

    When I rode a bike with I9s for the first time I kept thinking someone was coming up from behind me every time I stopped pedalling. I even pulled over and looked back a couple of times. They're loud...... but pretty.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PuddleDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    My I9's are nowhere near as loud as my ProII's.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31
    That is one of the nicest builds I have ever seen.
    That is a very well thought out parts list.
    Please let us know how it rides once the forks are repaired.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    I debated for 2 months before I settled on the stealth bling.
    I run red I9s on my White Socom with red bits and it looks pretty good.

  24. #24
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    FWIW, my I9s are extremely quiet. I'm running all 6 pawls and at about 10mph the sound of my tires hitting the dirt is much louder than the whir of the hub.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    FWIW, my I9s are extremely quiet. I'm running all 6 pawls and at about 10mph the sound of my tires hitting the dirt is much louder than the whir of the hub.
    They get much louder.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Black RONIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,505
    Jonny, yours is one of the best looking, if not the best, Tracer so far! Just amazing! Perfect choice of details (I picked the same myself - on the white frame, the red bits just makes the bike glow!) like the CK HS and Elixirs. But how does the white look in person? Is it like a solid white or like a pearl white? From all the white bikes pics here I really can't say - Intense describes it as pearl white - so I'm dead curious!

    Oh boy, really, just beautiful. Can't wait for mine to get here! Also went with the white!

    Edit: Just curious, what QR are you using in the rear wheel?
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 11-21-2008 at 06:18 PM.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    107
    He is using a Salsa skewer.
    I am a little confused... don't get me wrong, i love the tracer, it was in my top few bikes before i settled on a knolly dt, but i don't know why they would offer it built so light. In my opinion, and my all mountain riding style, there is no way this bike would hold up to that type of riding. intense makes different bikes, such as the spider, 5.5, etc. which are more geared for racing / xc. So why take your bike targeted towards the aggressive or "all mountain" side of things, and spec it really light? Is it meant to be raced? Or did they just get a good deal on this kit? I can understand offering it in the beautiful blue color, and i think thats great... but why the super light xc spec? No offense intended, just curious... seems to be odd for this model.
    ( sorry for the confusion... i was making reference to the special edition tracer...)

  28. #28
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,853
    This was a mistake I made with my original tracer. The thinking is that lighter=higher tech/better. In reality (outside of competition) a 31-32 lb semi burly rig will ride far better and last longer than a 26-28 lb one.

    I mean seriously guys, this is a 5.5"-6" trail bike. They make lightweight race bikes if that is your goal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley78
    He is using a Salsa skewer.
    I am a little confused... don't get me wrong, i love the tracer, it was in my top few bikes before i settled on a knolly dt, but i don't know why they would offer it built so light. In my opinion, and my all mountain riding style, there is no way this bike would hold up to that type of riding. intense makes different bikes, such as the spider, 5.5, etc. which are more geared for racing / xc. So why take your bike targeted towards the aggressive or "all mountain" side of things, and spec it really light? Is it meant to be raced? Or did they just get a good deal on this kit? I can understand offering it in the beautiful blue color, and i think thats great... but why the super light xc spec? No offense intended, just curious... seems to be odd for this model.
    ( sorry for the confusion... i was making reference to the special edition tracer...)

  29. #29
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    If you want a beefier bike, the redesigned 6.6 is coming out. Look at the prototypes from Interbike. I don't need such a beefy bike for dh/fr, but I am a clyde, so the tracer was the perfect match for me.

    Ronin, the paint is a pearl, so in low light you will see some purple/pink hues. In direct sun, it just looks plain white. IMO, it looks awesome!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,667
    Are they redoing the 6.6??? I figured that would be eliminated. It appears the new Uzzi and 6.6 slopestyle would cover the more free-ride end of the 6.6 while the Tracer would cover the trail/AM end of it. With the three bikes above you have 5.5, 6.0, 6.5,6.75 and 7.5inches of travel with varying geometries and strenghts. A new 6.6 would seem a bit redundant. Purely speculation on my part and based on no facts what so ever.

  31. #31
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    My bad, I meant the UZZI, not the 6.6.
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"

  32. #32
    Epicriderat
    Reputation: epicriderat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    173

    Very Nice.

    Nice build and excellent color choice. The Pearl white can look plain sometimes(see pix), but in the right light it rocks. I'm glad to hear the I9's are quieter than the Pro 2's, had them on my 5.5 for 6mos. and sold them in Sept when I bought my Tracer. Should have I9's on my Tracer before year end, perhaps blue hubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. #33
    Botox User
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    RR:
    Took it to a local spot last weekend and rode it for about 19 miles, including hilly fireroad, twisty singletrack, 2 climbs and 2 descents. Obviously there isn't much difference on the easy stuff, but on the climbs and downhill this thing really shines! The combo of the new 1.5" 36 shock and stiff as hell I9's let me steer this through the rough stuff easily. On my last bike, the fork and wheels were so flexy under my weight that I often had to slow wayyy down just to change direction, but now I just point and she goes.

    Even with all 4 pivots and 8 bearings, the rear is way stiffer than my single pivot GT. I'm still entertained by the fact that when I mash the pedals, the bike actually rises a small amount rather than squats. I still have a buttload of tweaking to do, but after a few pitstops to change the seat position and air, I feel dialed in. I have to emphasize the importance of setting up 15-17mm of sag in the rear.. I must have gained a few pounds because I started the day with about 25mm and the rear end felt "soggy." Adding another 15psi fixed it pronto. Now I just need to save up for a CCDB

    My fiancee got me a Edge 705 for our anniversary, man this thing is sick! Fits perfectly on my stem. Updated pics:



    Last edited by jonny427; 11-27-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12
    the nicest one I've seen so far ... well aside from the special edition .. that blue is kick a$$

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •