mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Tracer & Spider Differences

Hey Guys,
    Im obviously fresh into looking around the site, just getting back into riding after a long hiatus. I'm looking to start a patient build over the next 6 months or so, and Ive read a few of the threads in this forum now but Im still a bit fuzzy...
    Can somebody just delineate the fundamental differences between a Tracer 29 and a Spider 29 frame (both in aluminum) for me. Im not quite up to speed with all the lingo yet, but just in general the significant differences in intended use/performance of the two. Tried looking on Intense site, but both are now in carbon models, so not sure what to take from that..
    Thank you in advance,
    -Krause

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Generally speaking the Spider line has always been more XC oriented of the line up and the Tracer was always more trail/all mountain oriented or "Enduro" as the marketing types like to call it now.

In terms of geometry, the Tracer (Carbine in carbon) is a little more travel in the suspension, a little slacker in the head angle whereas Spider usually has a little less travel and steeper/quicker head angle.

If it were between the Spider or the Carbine with 29" then the Carbine is the burlier bigger bike. Tracer is only sold as a 27.5" wheeled bike now, positioned as an Enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Generally speaking the Spider line has always been more XC oriented of the line up and the Tracer was always more trail/all mountain oriented or "Enduro" as the marketing types like to call it now.

In terms of geometry, the Tracer (Carbine in carbon) is a little more travel in the suspension, a little slacker in the head angle whereas Spider usually has a little less travel and steeper/quicker head angle.

If it were between the Spider or the Carbine with 29" then the Carbine is the burlier bigger bike. Tracer is only sold as a 27.5" wheeled bike now, positioned as an Enduro bike.
    Thank you so much SRALPH, exactly what I was looking for.
    Cheers
    -Krause

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The head angle between the tracer and spider 29 is only 0.5. I have ridden both and owned the tracer 29. It was more fun, at least as set up versus the XC built spider. The tracer did not pedal as well, and was heavier, but very very smooth, more so than the travel numbers would suggest. My experience though was the tracer was a bit more fragile than I expected, and it only lasted a season before failing badly. That said the spider 29 comp Intense graciously upgraded me to is the most perfect bike designed by man. Less plush, but much faster in every regard.