mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Tracer rear triangle slop

I just landed a 2010 Tracer and it has more rear slop(wiggle) then described by seller. No big deal to me cause Im not too nit picky but it has much more then my 5.5 ever had. So what did you guys do to remedy the slop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What have you done so far to figure it out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I used to own a 2010 Tracer so maybe I can help.

When you say slop, do you mean there is play in the bearings? Is it a DU bushing issue? Are all your bolts to the correct torque settings? Have you taken a look at any of the bearings in the lower and upper portion of the frame to see if they are rolling correctly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have not tried anything yet as I just bought the bike. I will try all you suggested so far thanks. and what I meant by slop is the side to side flex it has when you grab the wheel and seat pushing side to side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FYI, if you check for play in the bearings, and DU bushing and dont find any. I would take the slop as a grain of salt and go ride it. I put that frame through its paces for 2.5 seasons with general maintenance and sold it to a second user who is more then happy with its performance.
    I own a Carbine, and have felt a Tracer2 and they do have noticabley different stiffness in the rear swing arm, however to be honest I never found it to be an issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I checked all the bolts and they care tight. In fact previous owner mentioned he used blue locktite cause they were known to come loose. After double checking it seems that the flex is actually coming from the wheel moving side to side and very little from the triangle. The wheels are Easton Havoc so maybe not as still as others? Still learning from you guys so thanks.

mtbr member
    I am not familiar with those wheels but sounds like a hub adjustment problem. If the preload isn't right on the axle you will fill it knock back and forth. Take the wheel out of the frame and see if you can feel any up down or side to side play in the rear axle.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Check for cracks in the linkages as well, known problem and intense came out with a new upper link as the old one is notorious for breaking (mine did).

mtbr member
    It ain't the stiffest frame out there....

I own one. Here's what you need to do:

1. check the lower pivots (regularly) and make sure they are tight. They loosen every so often
    2. If your rear hub allows, get a thru-axle or bolt on. I have a DT Swiss 350 rear hub and I was able to convert it to 10mm thru-axle for $100. It helps.
    3. check the upper pivots and shock mounts

The frame flex is "springy". It just flexes, but it still rips.