Living the High Life

Tracer hub question

Anyone know if the Tracer will take a 10mm axle, or is it a QR only? I'm ordering a set of Hope hubs for it and wanted to get a 10mm so the rear is a little stiffer.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    QR only

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you're talking about the Tracer VP, haha, I run a 10mm thru on mine just fine, as I did on my 5.5.

Living the High Life
    Really, I just called my shop and they said 10mm no problem. I looked at a few pictures and it seems like a 10mm would fit. Anyone else know the deal? I had them order the 10mm, now I'm a bit worried.

You posted, while I was responding. Yeah, I meant the new Tracer VP. Glad to hear it works, thanks.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sorry, thought you put 12mm!! Yes they do take 10mm. My mistake.

Living the High Life
    Rock

Dude, got any schwag?
    I have 10mm DT Swiss EX 1750 with the sweet RWS dealio for axle/QR on my Tracer. So yes, it will work. If any one is in need of one of these axle skewers, I have an extra & will sell for cost.
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 02-12-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker
    I have 10mm DT Swiss EX 1750 with the sweet RWS dealio for axle/QR on my Tracer. So yes, it will work. If any one is in need of one of these axle skewers, I have an extra & will sell for cost.
    I may be interested in one of those. PM sent

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I may be interested in one of those. PM sent
    Schwartz.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

ride
    Howdy Ithnu - 10mm thru axles and QR axles actually have the same diameter axle running thru the dropout. On a QR, the hub axle sticks about 3/4 of the way in to the frame. The QR rod goes thru the axle and clamps on. With the DT thru ratchet, the hub has a larger "axle" that abuts the frame on the inside of the dropout (like a 20mm front). The thru ratchet axle is then the only thing that is resting on the dropout.

The DT thru ratchets are a great way to gain a bit of stiffness over a normal QR on the front or the rear. They can be kind of a pain in the a$$ sometimes, but are worth it, in my opinion. I ride 'em and I've been putting them on the bikes of bigger or more aggressive riders for a while now. Good stuff.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Howdy Ithnu - 10mm thru axles and QR axles actually have the same diameter axle running thru the dropout. On a QR, the hub axle sticks about 3/4 of the way in to the frame. The QR rod goes thru the axle and clamps on. With the DT thru ratchet, the hub has a larger "axle" that abuts the frame on the inside of the dropout (like a 20mm front). The thru ratchet axle is then the only thing that is resting on the dropout.

The DT thru ratchets are a great way to gain a bit of stiffness over a normal QR on the front or the rear. They can be kind of a pain in the a$$ sometimes, but are worth it, in my opinion. I ride 'em and I've been putting them on the bikes of bigger or more aggressive riders for a while now. Good stuff.
    Which hubs other than DT Swiss could I use the DT RWS on for the quick release convenience? Would it for example fit on a Shimano Saint 810?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ride
    To my knowledge, DT, Hope and I9 have endcaps that you can use with the DT thru ratchet. Pretty sure CK was working on it but don't think it's seen the light of day yet. I'm sure there are others, but that's all I know off the top of my head.

Just checked on the Saint. Looks like the M810 hub should work - it's a 10mm thru bolt compatible hub.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    To my knowledge, DT, Hope and I9 have endcaps that you can use with the DT thru ratchet. Pretty sure CK was working on it but don't think it's seen the light of day yet. I'm sure there are others, but that's all I know off the top of my head.

Just checked on the Saint. Looks like the M810 hub should work - it's a 10mm thru bolt compatible hub.
    I ask because I'm planning a tough wheel set for a Tracer VP. I was looking at a set of XT hubs but on a whim had a look at the spec. of the new Saint 810 hubs. Both back and front thru axle are lighter than XT according to the Shimno's website, so it's a no brainer. Do you have to order the axle separately to the hub? If so I think I'd like to try a DT Swiss ratchet axle.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ride
    Yep, the m810s don't come with the axle.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Yep, the m810s don't come with the axle.
    Wow! Just did a search. The RWS is 50 plus bucks.

Ah well, thanks I'll probably give it a go anyway.

Ronnie.

Living the High Life
    I just got my Hope hub in and its the QR One of the guys at the shop assured me its fine, I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think they ordered the wrong one, or Hope sent the wrong one. That and I sent Shocker here $30 for his axle that won't fit now.

Am I understanding this right? Hope does make a 10mm thru axle, not the QR that has an outside diameter of 10mm that part of the hub.

I have a 150mm wide 12mm axle for my DH bike sitting on my desk too, I want the same thing is a 10mm axle and 135mm wide for the tracer. That's what I should have got right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just got my Hope hub in and its the QR One of the guys at the shop assured me its fine, I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think they ordered the wrong one, or Hope sent the wrong one. That and I sent Shocker here $30 for his axle that won't fit now.

Am I understanding this right? Hope does make a 10mm thru axle, not the QR that has an outside diameter of 10mm that part of the hub.

I have a 150mm wide 12mm axle for my DH bike sitting on my desk too, I want the same thing is a 10mm axle and 135mm wide for the tracer. That's what I should have got right?

You can get a Hope qr axle changed to a 10mm, you just need new endcaps.

mtbr member
    I just had a look on Chain Reaction Cycles and they list the Hope Pro 2 Disc Rear 10mm. Saint. The description says, "Designed for use with the Shimano Saint Mech, using Shimano's Saint axle or Hopes version of the same (available to order). Also suitable with any 10mm bolt through axle." So yes there is one available they got you the wrong hub.

Ronnie

Dude, got any schwag?

D'oh!!!!

Ask them to get the right setup.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

Living the High Life
    I guess I'll have to get the end caps changed then. I'm not running a wimpy QR. Oh well, by the time I get it built it will be snowing in Denver.

Living the High Life
    Thought I'd bump this just to say Shocker sent the axle with no problems!

But for now its going on my Enduro, my Tracer will be several months out

Dude, got any schwag?
    Thanks man!! The bike is worth the wait.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!