mtbr member

tracer -- how to determine year?

(starting a new thread so it doesn't get lost in the other)

i recently got my first tracer, sold to me as an '03. someone on this forum said the decals would indicate that is actually an '01. i suppose the previous owner could have swapped decals, but i'm wondering if there is a way to determine the year? serial number? other?

here's a photo of mine:

thanks in advance!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Call Intense for Serial Number

If its new you need to register the frame for warranty. As a side note, you mentioned there was no badge on your frame, mine is an '03 and there is a metal badge on mine. The biggest change (as I am aware of) the '03 had a reinforced seat tower which I was told really only applied to the Large Frames and those who used coil shocks.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    If its new you need to register the frame for warranty. As a side note, you mentioned there was no badge on your frame, mine is an '03 and there is a metal badge on mine. The biggest change (as I am aware of) the '03 had a reinforced seat tower which I was told really only applied to the Large Frames and those who used coil shocks.

you mean there is a warranty extended to non-original owners? i looked briefly this morning before work for a serial number and didn't see one (at least under the BB). where can i find it?
    -

Black Lion

serial number

The serial numbers are located where the bb meets the underside of the swingarm. It is small but there.

There will be two letters followed by some numbers.
    for example mine is
    DM2563

D= Intense code for Tracer
    M= medium
    2= 2002
    5= May
    63 is the frame number
    Voltron

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    There will be two letters followed by some numbers.
    for example mine is
    DM2563

D= Intense code for Tracer
    M= medium
    2= 2002
    5= May
    63 is the frame number
    thanks, but now i'm confused... mine says DM09371

does that mean mine is really a september 2000 model?
    i'd have a hard time believing that, as its condition is near mint. ?!

does anyone from intense monitor these boards?
    -

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    thanks, but now i'm confused... mine says DM09371

does that mean mine is really a september 2000 model?
    i'd have a hard time believing that, as its condition is near mint. ?!

does anyone from intense monitor these boards?

This is the way the serial numbers were explained to me way back when I got my first Tracer.

Give them a call. Intense customer service in my experience is stellar.
    Let us know then end result.
    Voltron

banned

i recently got my first tracer, sold to me as an '03. someone on this forum said the decals would indicate that is actually an '01. i suppose the previous owner could have swapped decals, but i'm wondering if there is a way to determine the year? serial number? other?

here's a photo of mine:

thanks in advance!
    I just bought one as well. It looked absolutely perfect when I got it, I promise - but 20 something miles in the mud can age a bike pretty quickly.

I blew the shock in one ride, and found that one of the HL spacers was missing (the previous mechanic must have been a complete hack).

I guess my point is, this 4 year old bike didn't look much more than a few months old when I got it. If they're not beaten on, Intense's can last a long, long time. Just ask my M1!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail Rider

Mine has a metal badge

I have a frame with DS1126 on the BB tube. It is a small frame that appears to be made in 01 in Jan. and has a metal badge. I bought mine in 02 and the paperwork says it is an 01 model.
    Last edited by Quattro; 01-22-2006 at 06:22 AM.
    Don

I already rode that
    Judging by the stickers I;d agree its an older tracer
    I forgot where I put my old tracers serial # but my new one is DM47494 4646 stamped on the machinced part of the bb. New # cause I cracked mine at the seat tube and sent it in to get fixed but they game me that new front triangle last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Definitely Early Tracer

gotdirt,

You definitely have an earlier Tracer. The later models had a reinforced seat mast/shock bracket (see tkblazer's and PIMP's in the Tracer photo thread). I had those same decals on mine when I got it new in July of 2000 (also the last year you could order custom colors, hence the "Yamaha Blue" you see on mine originally). I ended up ordering a new set of 2001decals about a year later.

My frame is a Large. What I have learned in this forum about the early large frames is that they had a tendancy to crack at the seat tube/seat mast weld. I didn't have any problems with mine until this past summer after I did the 24 hrs of Big Bear, WV (attached photo). As you can see, I'm tall (6' 3"), but lean (180 lb riding weight) and purely an XC guy.....no drops or big hit riding....just aggressive trail riding and a few endurance races every year. After Big Bear, a creak developed in the rear and I discovered the crack around the weld at the base of the shock bracket (black circle). For $300, Intense stripped the paint, grinded off the old weld, re-welded, heat-treated, re-painted (in pretty midnight blue), and slapped on some '03 decals. Looked great....I was a happy customer and riding again. But.........

Ten rides later, I heard another creak. This time it cracked at the notorious seat tube/seat mast weld. Pissed! Most likely, I will be upgrading to the 5.5, but the Tracer has been my favorite F/S bike and I'm sad to retire it. You should get many years of enjoyment out of yours. My advice is to keep an eye on the seat mast area and if you hear any creaking noises look it over thoroughly.

mtbr member

bummer

well intense customer service just confirmed via the serial number that my bike is a 2000 model, not an '03 as it was alleged when sold to me. d*mn.

guess i'll need to keep an eye out for any problems w/ the frame, though i can't see any difference from the photos as to what exactly was improved/reinforced? it sounds like it is more of a problem for the large frames, no? mine is a medium... either way i'll make an inspection when i get home tonight! luckily i'm not a clydesdale nor do ride north-shore style.

note to self: don't jump on a sweet deal before doing some research.

thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    -

mtbr member
    I can't tell from the picture but pre-2001 tarcers had ball-burnished rear triangles. i can't tell from the picture, but your rear triangle looks white and if so, chances are it was replaced along the way and maybe that is why the seller marketed it as a 2003. MyTracer was a 2000...in 2003 I cracked it near the seat tube and intense replaced it with the 2003 front end that I have now. My rear is still original 2000 with a permanent derailluer hanger. That would be another way to judge the year of the rear triangle, does it have a replacable derialleur hanger....
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    hmmm... interesting. the plot thickens. my rear tri is definitely white & hanger is replaceable.

still wondering about the badge though-- did the previous owner yank it, or was it not part of the bike during certain years? anyone?

thanks.
    -

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hmmm... interesting. the plot thickens. my rear tri is definitely white & hanger is replaceable.

still wondering about the badge though-- did the previous owner yank it, or was it not part of the bike during certain years? anyone?

thanks.
    Mine is an '00 and it has a replaceable hanger. I had the option of a painted or Ball-Burnished rear when I purchased it, too......I went w/ BB. If you look at my frame w/ the original paint job, you can see the side of the old head tube badge. It wasn't until '01 when they used the flame badge.

I wouldn't worry about it.....since you have a medium frame, you most likely won't encounter the seat mast issues that the early year large frames had. You can always update the decal set.....just go out and enjoy your new ride!

Black Lion

The Tracer is solid

Gotdirt.
    The frame is incredibly well built and very solid. I would be more concerned about the fact that it was sold to you under the guise of an '03 frame.

The seat mast issue was pretty much isolated to large frames a s you know. Intense still offers good support for the frame in case of problems. If you use the frame as it was intended you will have your Tracer for a while. The beauty of the Tracer is that the basic design was virtually unchanged and different years pieces could be bolted together.

I personally have had 2 Tracers in my past. One I used for racing that was stolen. One was my everyday trailbike that i sold this summer. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I am currently on the hunt for a Tracer frame. During the 5 years of riding and racing Tracers very hard, The only problems encountered was usuall matinence stuff and I had to replace a chainstay due to a stripped horst link bolt.

Have fun with yours
    Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    thanks greg...

you're right of course. i had a great time on the bike last week after installing the push'd shock; this being my first full-suspension ride, i hadn't realized that when i bought it the shock was "stuck down" so i was getting very little travel (and not very plush i might add). i was starting to have second thoughts about buying it. however once i rode the bike the way it was intended (properly extended shock and thus corrected geometry), i could tell that this will be a fun ride for sure!

i just hate being misled (by the seller) coupled w/ knowing now that i've got something that was ultimately "improved" in later years. however, as i said i'm not a burly guy nor a freeride abuser, so i'm confident this bike will provide years of enjoyment.

hoping to find a good deal on a crossmax wheelset this season and i'll be all set.

terry
    -

mtbr member
    so is this point in the photo below the "expected" or common point of failure in these early model tracers (i.e. when people talk about the seat mast)? i would've expected it maybe along the seat tube where the mast is joined... ??

Last edited by gotdirt; 01-24-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    -

Black Lion
    so is this point in the photo below the "expected" or common point of failure in these early model tracers (i.e. when people talk about the seat mast)? i would've expected it maybe along the top tube where the mast is joined... ??

The failure of the seat mast usually happened on this weld above the red arrow.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    The failure of the seat mast usually happened on this weld above the red arrow.
    Greg
    thanks... this is good info to have so i can keep an eye out.
    (and what i meant to say, mast joint at seat tube, not top tube)
    -

I already rode that
    Yea when mine cracked it was along that red dotted line started at the top in those pics above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here's a picture of the recent crack. It wasn't noticable to the eye, but b/c I thought/hoped the creaking noise was my seatpost, I put fresh grease on the seatpost, reinstalled it, and the grease started oozing through the crack after I compressed the rear a few times. The flash of the camera picks it up pretty well.

Chrome Toaster

here's a photo of mine:

thanks in advance!
    The front end for the 00 and 01 was the same which is what you have. The stickers are 2000. The 2001 stickers are like the ones on Blue Sprockets original blue Tracer. You can tell if its 02 or 03 because the seat tower has more reinforcement. The rear triangle on 2000 frames was polished which means it was either replaced, custom painted or maybe a late model 2000 frame.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I have a frame with DS1126 on the BB tube. It is a small frame that appears to be made in 01 in Jan. and has a metal badge. I bought mine in 02 and the paperwork says it is an 01 model.
    Could also be a December '01 manufacture
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    HI,
    The serial number on mine is: M912398...? Does anybody have any info? Size, year, etc? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    yours is a medium, built in 1998

Members who have read this thread: 1