mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Tracer 29", new love.

MY first time with the T29 was a little bit of disappointment, after a long waiting and a lot of expectation when I got on the bike immediately I knew that it isn't it...
    The bike was built with 120 fork, RP23, long stem and heavy wheels.
    So I went to other directions, I tried at least 6-7 FS 29" bikes, some are good and some are bad,
    I knew that I want an aggressive FS 29er and no bike was plush enough or as good as my DH bike on the slopes.
    A year latter I decide to give the T29 another chance, I got a frame from my LBS put on it 140 Reba, RC4 and some good wheels,
    That time the bike felt much better, it was plush and the geometry was OK but somehow you could feel that it can be better, a slacker head angle was needed, but if you put an Angleset HS the BB will be too low
    The problem with the T29 was that you couldn't get a right fork to it and the head angle was funny for that kind of a bike, as it was written in Intense site "The T29 was a bit ahead of itís time" (they where so right...).
    When I heard about the new longer Pike I ordered the 150 Solo air.
    Now with a 1.5 CC angle set headset, a taller 150 Pike and a Flow EX wheels the bike can run any DH course and still can climb up.
    This bike gives you so much confident, a lot of traction and it is as fast and much more comfortable then many other 6"-8" aggressive 26" bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer 29", new love.-img_3160_web.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-img_3154_web.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-img_3164_web.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-img_3168_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    MY first time with the T29 was a little bit of disappointment, after a long waiting and a lot of expectation when I got on the bike immediately I knew that it isn't it...
    The bike was built with 120 fork, RP23, long stem and heavy wheels.
    So I went to other directions, I tried at least 6-7 FS 29" bikes, some are good and some are bad,
    I knew that I want an aggressive FS 29er and no bike was plush enough or as good as my DH bike on the slopes.
    A year latter I decide to give the T29 another chance, I got a frame from my LBS put on it 140 Reba, RC4 and some good wheels,
    That time the bike felt much better, it was plush and the geometry was OK but somehow you could feel that it can be better, a slacker head angle was needed, but if you put an Angleset HS the BB will be too low
    The problem with the T29 was that you couldn't get a right fork to it and the head angle was funny for that kind of a bike, as it was written in Intense site "The T29 was a bit ahead of itís time" (they where so right...).
    When I heard about the new longer Pike I ordered the 150 Solo air.
    Now with a 1.5 CC angle set headset, a taller 150 Pike and a Flow EX wheels the bike can run any DH course and still can climb up.
    This bike gives you so much confident, a lot of traction and it is as fast and much more comfortable then many other 6"-8" aggressive 26" bikes.
    Esku, first let me start off by saying..... WOW! your T29 looks sick. Really really rad. Full on Johny Cash, love all black bikes.

I have stayed away from 29ers because of the obvious, steep HA, too long CS, short travel, ect...

I had a T2 and loved it. My friend wanted to buy it, I kind of wanted a new bike.
    I was going to just get a new T2, but the intense guys talked me into a carbine 275, and I love it too. But...

The T2 felt like a mini DH bike(I have a M9). The Carbine is a little more of a on top ride. I kind of miss the T2 feel.

The T29er has me thinking.

Can you tell me what how tall you are?
    What size your bike is?
    How much it weights?
    What kind of trails you ride?

thanks, and great job on your bike

cheers
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Seriously sweet ride, man! I know it's not built up to be light, but I'm curious as to how much it weighs. Any idea?

mtbr member

mine is set a bit different

My T-29 is a small with a 140mm 34 float, the head angle is slightly slacker than 69 degrees and weighs 30.5 lbs using parts off my old 03 5 Spot.
    I have tried several 29rs but this is the only one I've owned and I have owned it for about a year. The T-29 is a good bike with a unique ride, it's not a stiff bike for a 185 lb rider and I prefer a slacker head angle but it's plush and has great rollover. I have found it to be hard work climbing the steep stuff dispite the longer stays helping to keep the front tire anchored to the ground, part of that climbing issue has to do with my old 3X9 drivetrain.
    I test rode the T-275 and really liked it and managed to buy the small at the Intense parking lot sale. The weight is very similar at 29 lb 15 oz and the same equipment the head angle measured slightly steaper than 66 degrees with a fox float 34 160mm. The bike climbs better IMHO and comparing the same ride week over week, it's not a big difference over 15-20 miles but it's consistantly faster than the T-29, stiffer and more plush as well. Some of the climbing ability has to be credited to the 3X10 drivetrain it came with; I will say spend the money on the clutch derailure, prevents chain drop and slap, very worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer 29", new love.-tracer-29.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-photo_6d9e20bd-2d2b-b4a3-a698-3dceb2194d69.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am more then 200 (wet) and 5'11", the bike is M and around 31-32 Lbs.
    I had the T2 and I just loved it, it's one of the best trail bikes I ever had or tried.
    You cant compare the RC4 coil plushness to any RP23 or even CCDB (air), the T29 with RC4 cant climb as good as the Carbine or the T2 (26 or 275) but when you point down the T29 blown away (and you sit in the bike and not on the bike...) it is a really mini DH bike.
    For more XC/trails I am thinking to build a Spider 29 or a Carbine/Tracer2.
    Mostly I ride a rocky tech terrain with many DH slops and some loose gravel, desert area and fast trails.
    My old T2 is in the pic's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer 29", new love.-img_2861.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-img_5315_web.jpg  

Tracer 29", new love.-img_5358_web.jpg  

Last edited by esku; 06-15-2013 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I am more then 200 (wet) and 5'11", the bike is M and around 31-32 Lbs.
    I had the T2 and I just loved it, it's one of the best trail bikes I ever had or tried.
    You cant compare the RC4 coil plushness to any RP23 or even CCDB, the T29 with RC4 cant climb as good as the Carbine or the T2 (26 or 275) but when you point down the T29 blown away (and you sit in the bike and not on the bike...) it is a really mini DH bike.
    For more XC/trails I am thinking to build a Spider 29 or a Carbine/Tracer2.
    Mostly I ride a rocky tech terrain with many DH slops and some loose gravel, desert area and fast trails.
    My old T2 is in the pic's
    Rad T2, makes me miss mine, even though my carbine does every thing as good or better. I wanted to keep my T2 and put a 180mm fork on it and keep it as a free ride trail bike, but than I thought I would maybe get an uzzi and try it with 27.5 wheels.
    props on a rad bike
    Once you go slack, you never go back!