bike addict
    Jan 2004

Tracer 275 versus Carbine 275 and other ponderings

I am looking at both these bike as my next ride. I read the mtbr review/shootout but i am perplexed by francis' comments about liking the Tracer more. The carbine has everything i want in a bike, shorter stays, more slack, except for the slightly taller bb height. Unless my ride style is different than Francis.

Have they addressed the tire clearance cross brace issue on the Tracer 275s?

Is the latest Carbine 275 the same as the 26r Carbine except for the G1 dropouts?

I ask this because there may be a chance that i initially build the carbine in 26 mode u til i can save for a pair of i9 torch 27.5s

If you have had ride time on both of these frames, id love to hear it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The newest version of the Carbine has stealth routing (for adjustable seat post) and ISG tabs. I'm curious to hear if anybody has any feedback on the comparisons as well. My buddies both have tracer 275's and love them, I just ordered the newest Carbine 275. On paper the only thing I didn't like about the Carbine is the taller BB/standover and shorter wheelbase. I ordered offset bushings to offset this some, running a large frame with 35mm stem and will be running a 160mm fork. Not sure which fork yet, I don't really care for any of the current options.....want a Lyric 650.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Why is shorter wheelbase not desireable in a trail bike? Easier to negotiate tight corners...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's more of an all mountain bike for me, I need it to be stable in high speed, rough terrain. A short wheelbase is not ideal for those trail conditions. I do agree a shorter wheelbase gets through tight switchbacks quicker but that's less important to me.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    I am looking at both these bike as my next ride. I read the mtbr review/shootout but i am perplexed by francis' comments about liking the Tracer more. The carbine has everything i want in a bike, shorter stays, more slack, except for the slightly taller bb height. Unless my ride style is different than Francis.

Have they addressed the tire clearance cross brace issue on the Tracer 275s?

Is the latest Carbine 275 the same as the 26r Carbine except for the G1 dropouts?

I ask this because there may be a chance that i initially build the carbine in 26 mode u til i can save for a pair of i9 torch 27.5s

If you have had ride time on both of these frames, id love to hear it.
    Question 1) Yes, the cross brace issue was only on pre-production bikes.
    Question 2) Yes.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by itsscience View Post
    It's more of an all mountain bike for me, I need it to be stable in high speed, rough terrain...
    The Carbine is very stable at high speed in rough terrain, no worries.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    The Carbine is very stable at high speed in rough terrain, no worries.
    Yep...the Carbine 275 is solid at speed...lots of grinning...