mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Tracer 275 kit wheels, anyone have problems with the Novatec Freehub?

So I'm 6 months in on my Tracer 275, and I am stoked. This bike is a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to putting many, many more miles on this bike.

But before that happens I'm gonna have to fix a problem and I'd like to know if it's a failure others have experienced or if this is a fluke. The freehub on the Novatec wheels that came with the XT build spec has failed. Basically the machined part of the freehub body where the pall sits has sheared and bent/twisted. I've been riding more than a decade and never seen this particular failure on any wheel/bike. Is this a material/workmanship problem?

Photos attached.

PS- I realize this is a Novatec wheel, but I'm posting to this board since it came as part of the build kit, and I assume there to be other users of this wheel here.

PPS- My post is not intended as a complaint, but rather to ask for experiences from others. Failures happen, even on well made, quality equipment. For the record this bike is the most fun and nicest bike I've ever owned.
    Tracer 275 kit wheels, anyone have problems with the Novatec Freehub?-13-1.jpgTracer 275 kit wheels, anyone have problems with the Novatec Freehub?-13-2.jpgTracer 275 kit wheels, anyone have problems with the Novatec Freehub?-13-3.jpgTracer 275 kit wheels, anyone have problems with the Novatec Freehub?-13-4.jpg

Dude, got any schwag?
    It's still on warranty no? I've seen Mavic wheels come apart too. Shite happens. Seems like a good excuse to build up a set of blingy wheels and keep these as back ups. ;o)

"For the record this bike is the most fun and nicest bike I've ever owned."

Not as fun as my 26" SL. (Mine's better 'cause it's mine). And yes, these things SHRED!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    I've been on my Novatech wheels since the Intense parking lot sale and have yet to have a problem but thanks for the heads up on the potential; in my foggy memmory someone at intense hinted that they werent as reliable as Kings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Reviving an old thread...

A review on another website (I won't name them but search "Novatec Diablo 26 Complete Wheelset" if you want details) covers some long term use on their 26" wheels. Same general freehub design (not sure if identical parts) and they describe the same failure. Novatec told them this was not a common failure, I heard the same from their distributor about mine. Might be a coincidence and maybe they were totally unrelated causes but worth adding to the historical record.

My failed part was replaced under warranty (good on them) and hasn't given me any trouble (knock wood).