mtbr member

Tracer 275: Fox 34 or wait for new Pike?

I'm building a Tracer 275 - have most of the parts for it...

MINUS fork.

The two options I'm considering are:

1. Fox 34 160mm CTD - available NOW, for the '13s and in 2-3 weeks for the '14s.

2. New Rockshox Pike - available at the end of June, which, realistically, in Canada will be more like July. I love the 35 mm stanchions.

Weather is amazing here.
    ...I'm sitting with a gorgeous frame in my arms and dunno if I should wait 2 months (!!!) or just get the Fox and be done with it...

Advice? Opinions? Help a brother out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hard one. I just got the Fox 34, 2013. I haven't ridden on it yet, but it sure looks the business. Kashima, beefy lowers etc. Why wouldn't you go for the Fox?

mtbr member
    Cause the Pike is tempting... )) But it's also two months away.

Nothing against the 34, quite the opposite. I've had one on my 29er and loved it. And it looks awesome!
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the 34 CTD and am really happy with it. You're too a love that bike! Ride it ASAP!

Dude, got any schwag?
    Fox. Carpe diem baby.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Buy the Fox and then sell it in a few months when the Pike becomes available. May cost and extra $100, but you can start riding now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a 34 160 Talas and im not crazy about the CTD valving so im sending it back to Fox to get it revalved with more high and low speed dampening. No one has really ridden the Pike yet, its going to be hard to get a comparison.

mtbr member
    I'm loving my Float 34 CTD, and even if you like the rock shock stuff better it'll cost you prime ride time to wait, so I'd get the Fox now and enjoy the time. Incidentally my 275 worked great with my old float 32 150 so if you have an old fork to run while you wait for your dream fork that could be an option too. Either way I'd get on the bike ASAP as depending on what part of Canada you're in you'll regret not jumping on the bike after the weather turns. Good luck.

mtbr member
    slowrider, you're right... who knows how long the season will be.
    I'm in Calgary. Sometimes we ride late into November, sometimes we get snow in October, like last year.

And, like Salespunk said, I could sell it, if I'm in love with the Pike...

I'll get on it! 2014s should be here soon! Apparently they've solved the diving issue.

...and it'll look good with the Kashima!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post

MINUS fork.

1. Fox 34 160mm CTD - available NOW, for the '13s and in 2-3 weeks for the '14s.

2. New Rockshox Pike - available at the end of June, which, realistically, in Canada will be more like July. I love the 35 mm stanchions.

Weather is amazing here.
    ...I'm sitting with a gorgeous frame in my arms and dunno if I should wait 2 months (!!!) or just get the Fox and be done with it...

Ronon, I would wait for the '14 34 if you are going with fox
    I'm a big rock shox guy, and can't wait to try the pike.
    My 34 is my first fox in 7 years and I like it, wish it was a little stiffer but I can live with that because it's lighter than any of my lyrics. It just needs more high/low speed adjustment. I bottem it out too easily.

I got my 34 because I couldn't wait, I'm sure you would like to see your tracer dirty asap
    I'm sure you'll love it!!
    cheers

mtbr member
    The shop I work at has built a number of bikes with Fox 34 CTD's and everyone that has one has come back disappointed with its performance. Even my boss has one on his bike and isn't happy with it. I would wait or get a Revelation for now and sell it once the Pike is available.

mtbr member

Απ: Tracer 275: Fox 34 or wait for new Pike?

Get the Fox that is available. After the new forks arrive test ride them and decide yourself if you want to change.
    Add to your list the new Deville from BOS. Trust me you won't lose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post

MINUS fork.

Weather is amazing here.

Easy..... Buy the FOX !!! It's a great shock and Ride this summer. Wait for the new Rock Shox and skip summer riding. Seems like a no brainer to me.