Thread: Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tracer 275

Anyone have a Tracer 275? How does it compare to the carbine 275? Likes/dislikes? I currently ride a 26" Rocky Mtn Element and am thinking about going to a 27.5" bike.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Havent tried the Carbine or Rocky mountain but I have been impressed with the versatility of my Tracer 275, that said if you're a weight weenie a 7.75 lb frame isn't a good option. Mine weighs just under 30 lbs without any superlight components except for the XTR rear derailure and frog pedals.
    Last edited by slowrider; 10-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can't say enough about how much I dig my Tracer 275. It pedals great and can take anything I throw at it on the downhill.
    I swapped my 3x10 to 1x10 (Raceface Narrow/wide) and really like how it's been. CCDB Air CS is on the way, so I'll have something new to tinker with.

mtbr member

Simply awsome rides.....

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Anyone have a Tracer 275? How does it compare to the carbine 275? Likes/dislikes? I currently ride a 26" Rocky Mtn Element and am thinking about going to a 27.5" bike.
    There are differences, the 275 Carbine is not just a clone of the 275 Tracer. Of course the obvious differnces are the carbine is stiffer and lighter, but the Tracer is no slouch. Both bikes can be switched from 5 to 6 inch rear travel making them a one quiver bike.

The real differnce is the Tracer geometry is a little more slack and aggressive DH, while the Carbine in my mind is the perfect do it all.

If you cannot tell by now I am biased twords the Carbine, but the Tracer is still a great bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i have both bikes.
    it is hard to decide between them.
    tracer 275 can be ridden as a cross country bike ..i do 40 mile rides on it..a little more comfortable on the long chunky down hills..a little more room for bigger tires on this bike but not much..i run maxxis 2.35 on both bikes in the back..schwalbe 2.35 in the front
    carbine 275 is easier to climb on...lighter ..snappy response...killer on the downs also
    i switch back and forth every few months

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The rear end of the Tracer is slightly stiffer. Longer wheel base descends with more stability, but the balancing traction on uphills can be slightly tougher.

I also find the Carbine to be under-sized. I am 5'9" and would prefer a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I own a Tracer 275 and spent a week riding a Carbine 275. I would agree with what most people have said above, Carbine is lighter and little snappier, Tracer is more forgiving on the downhills. Really it depends on your local trails and what you like to ride. Steep, techy downhills? I would buy the Tracer. Balance of up and down with nothing too steep? Carbine.

I should also add, either bike you buy won't be the wrong one...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've ridden the Element and own the Tracer 275. Based on what people have said/written about the Carbine (which I haven't ridden but assume to be awesome) it's probably closer to the Element in terms of handling. That said, the VPP suspension is to my mind the big difference between the Element and the Intense bikes. I found the rear suspension on the Element to be "busy" which I mean in a slightly more negative light than "active". Not to say it wasn't a great bike, but I find the more progressive/consistent feel of my Tracer to be more to my liking.

You know what they say about opinions, but there's mine. Christhebrit has it right though, pretty sure there's not a bad option in the bunch.

mtbr member
    Just bought a 2013 Tracer Rally build. Still getting use to it from only riding a 29 hardtail. Wondering what people think about going from the 3x10 to a 2x10. Is this a good or bad idea?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Having a year on my 2013 Tracer I can say that the 2 most likely changes I'll make to the kit build (Shimano XT) is 1x10 (with a Oneup 42-tooth cog or similar) or 1x11 and a dropper post.

I've found that I can just about get by without the granny on the 3x ring and would be pleased to simplify. I've also noticed that the only time I even think about switching the CTD shock due to pedal feedback is when I'm in granny. Not sure if that's driven by the chainring size (suspect it is) but I'd be glad to be rid of that as well.