mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tracer 2 vs Ibis HD frame stiffness

Can anyone compare the Tracer 2(26") frame stiffness to the Ibis HD? I had a Tracer VP that was a real noodle in the BB and rear end, and then went to an HD which was rock solid. Having sold the HD, I am looking for a replacement. I like the Tracer geometry. Can anyone compare these two?

mtbr member
    I can't compare the HD, but I had a TVP and replaced it with a T2 and the rear end is much stiffer. The T2 has been a fantastic bike that seems to do just about everything great and hasn't let me down yet even in some pretty harsh conditions - a very solid, well made ride, love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Same here. I never rode the Ibis, but the Tracer 2 is a much stiffer bike than the VP.

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Can anyone compare the Tracer 2(26") frame stiffness to the Ibis HD? I had a Tracer VP that was a real noodle in the BB and rear end, and then went to an HD which was rock solid. Having sold the HD, I am looking for a replacement. I like the Tracer geometry. Can anyone compare these two?
    Tell us why you got rid of the HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the HD for a couple years. With all of the changes happening in the AM bike category, I wanted to sell while it was still in good shape and the resale was high. The HD was the best bike I've owned. It was super-stiff and tracked like it were on rails. The frame alignment and build quality was superb. The DW was quick at the pedals as well. I was very happy with the bike, and Ibis.

With that being said I would like shorter chain stays, lower BB and maybe a little shorter top tube - and slacker HA(Angle Set). The new Tracer is close to ideal geo for me - the Enduro and Banshee Spitfire look really good too.

My concern with the Tracer is flex. I know the VP version has improved the frame flex, but has anyone ridden or owned an HD and a Tracer 2 that can compare them?

mtbr member
    Why not go Carbine? Carbon is going to be stiffer than AL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Why not go Carbine? Carbon is going to be stiffer than AL.
    This person summed it up perfectly in another thread -

07-14-2012
    epic
    mtbr member

"I'd rather see a whole 'nother bike that has a more AM mission and includes ISCG tabs. In riding the Carbine, it feels pretty XC to me. I'd like to see a carbon bike that is a little smaller than the Uzzi and bigger than the Carbine."

mtbr member
    Before I beginI have demo'd both the Carbine and Ibis and Many people only dream about such rare items....

I own a Tracer. It's great bike and I have demo'd the Carbine. Not only is the Carbine stiffer, but with the lighter wieght and simiar geomettery, It simply has a feeling that I can ony describe as "snappy". The Carbine holds the line better, pops back from turns. I love my Tracer, but I dream about a Carbine, EIther trust the Intense Mojo or seek out a Demo. I think you will be amazed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    With that being said I would like shorter chain stays, lower BB and maybe a little shorter top tube - and slacker HA(Angle Set). The new Tracer is close to ideal geo for me - the Enduro and Banshee Spitfire look really good too.
    Did you see the Banshee Rune V2? Seems to be lower an slacker than the Tracer 2 and can be converted to 27.5 if you wish to try this out.
    I still haven't gotten any real answer on my question if a Tracer 2 can use the 27.5 dropouts for the Carbine and how that would change geo if run with 27.5 and 26" wheels.