mtbr member

tracer 2 sizing/ build

Looking at a tracer 2 as a replacement for my broken v1 titus el guapo. I'm usually on a medium with 26" and a small with 29" bikes. I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseem (built like a daschund I know)

Found some really good deals on mediums but nothing in small. Would I be ok with a medium? I prefer a shorter top tube most of the time. I come from a bmx back ground so I ride up hills just to have fun on the other side.

Thanks for any help guys!

Also. I would be transfering all my parts from the titus. I'm not a fan of the 10 speed stuff so all of my parts are 9 speed (nicer xo/xt stuff). Will I beable to make the direct mount derailers for the front jive with my 2x9 setup?

Looks like the only parts I'll have to buy at this point are the frame, front derailer and seat post. I have king wheels so I can swap to 142 drop outs down the road (nice feature on the intense bikes.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I am 5'9" with about a 32" inseam, and i am fine on a medium. Obviously if you can get a test ride that is the best option. I run the seat pretty high up so you should be fine. I run a 2x9 and I ended up going with a slx fd, it was the only one I found that was designed around a 9 speed seat up. I have a race face dues crank, and it is rubbing the chainstay so I am looking to run something different.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    With your size, it`s more a question of your reach measurement.

You will need a Shimano direct front derailleur.

If you like a shorter feeling bike, try a 50 or 60mm stem and a wider bar on the medium size if you`re not too worried about climbing. You can always compensate with your center of gravity when climbing to keep your front wheel on the ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big bear View Post
    If you like a shorter feeling bike, try a 50 or 60mm stem and a wider bar.
    Exactly what he said - the handling and fun factor increased dramatically when I dropped to a 60mm stem with 770 wide bars. The bike still climbs like a champ but has a hint of bmx/moto style feeling with the right cockpit on it - awesome bike for all-mtn fun.

I would definitely opt for the medium frame with a shorter stem rather than a small frame with a longer stem.