It doesnt fit right it hits the rear swing linkage

what should i use ???
    Last edited by divere; 07-28-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: fixed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    now I have a 50mm chainline
    Or I must get a truvativ holzfeller crank with a 56mm chainline bb or I must use a single ring setup with a other chainguide?????

mtbr member
    Just get Gamut vpp guide. It is the only guide that has best fit with lower vpp link.
    There is no bolt on the back side, so it fits perfectly with lower link.
    I use single ring guide on my Uzzi Vp with zero problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg An. View Post
    Just get Gamut vpp guide. It is the only guide that has best fit with lower vpp link.
    There is no bolt on the back side, so it fits perfectly with lower link.
    I use single ring guide on my Uzzi Vp with zero problems.
    he's using a dual guide though. The Gamut dual guide doesn't play well with the Intense VPP linkage. I've had success with a modified Blackspire Stinger on my Uzzi. Just use a chamfered ISCG chainguide bolt on the backside of the roller and bevel the edges of the hole. By the looks in the photos you could likely do the same thing on your MRP

I agree the single ring Gamut works awesome though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    But the chainline also give a problem?

what chainline do you have ???

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am going to order a rollor of a gamut double guide that one is different than the mrp rollor and bevel the edges of the hole

I think that should work

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi, I had exactly the same problem with my MRP dual ring device.

Intense's response was that although they recommend MRP they don't know of any dual ring devices that work well.

I got away with getting mine on by changing inner chainring from shimano to middleburn.

This sorted the clearance so the cranks can turn , however I found that due to the lower linkage you can't put the roller high enough to put any real tension on the chain..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the mrp does work but the chain is not running nice on hte roller
    so I get a other brand rollor

then I have more play with the backplate of the guide so I can bend that a little so it gets over the lower linkage

I hope

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Gamut dual guide is awesome, it just doesn't work that well on Intense VPP designs. Intense has made the bottom bracket surface even with the lower link, so you can't have anything on the backside of the guide backplate or it interferes. The Gamut is flush on the backside, but you have to shim it out because of the relief in the plate. That unfortunately pushes the roller outboard and causes chainline issues similar to what you're experiencing with the MRP. The Gamut roller in the photo below had already been milled 2mm off the step from small to big ring. That solved the chainline issues when in the big ring, but the inner lip of the roller pushes on the chain when in granny.

The Gamut roller is also on an axle that threads into the backplate and is held with a set screw. that might be a bit difficult to adapt to your MRP.

The Blackspire Stinger works pretty good out of the box with a slight mod to the roller fastening bolt and is super cheap. In fact for your MRP problem you might want to pick up a Blackspire roller. You can order parts directly from their website. http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5944/263204/0/0

You could probably to the same modification to the MRP roller too, and just remove the bevel on the roller to gain you some chainline.

This is all from my Uzzi, but it sounds like a similar complication with the Tracer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tracer 2 double ring chain guide PROBLEM with pics-guides-.jpg  

tracer 2 double ring chain guide PROBLEM with pics-guides-1000570.jpg  

tracer 2 double ring chain guide PROBLEM with pics-guides-1000569.jpg  

Last edited by davet; 07-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for your help that is great info
    how did you get that sleeve were the bold head is in

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by divere View Post
    thanks for your help that is great info
    how did you get that sleeve were the bold head is in
    On the Blackspire roller? It uses a threaded sleeve for the axle, with a button head bolt on the outer and I swapped a chainguide ISCG mounting bolt for the inside. I'm not sure what the size is, I just fished through a jar of misc. fasteners and got lucky.

or by sleeve are you meaning "slot" The Blackspire uses a slotted hole, I just used a flat file and chamfered the edges.

mtbr member
    Isn't it an incorrect roller? That roller is for the single ring use.

This is the original LRP Roller

Quote Originally Posted by divere View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm running a Heim2 from E13 with no issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    and why the heim 2 and not the drs ???
    what cranks are you using and can you tell me you chainline???
    from the middle ring to the center of your frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im of the understanding that there isnt a drs that works with the intense vpp properly

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have ordered a gamut dual roller and drilled a holle in the baseplate of the mrp and make a treat in it and install the guide and the roller

now I have max tension of the guide and it works ok now

maybe a shimano crank like the saint or xt(r) is even better but I a happy how it works now

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/p10202051280x720.jpg/][/URL

Scottish mtbr member
    ive been trying to get a double chain device to work on my Tracer2 and having no luck.... ive got a superstar iscg05 double device... more or less the same as the stinger....

ive got saint cranks, the granny ring bolts hit the chain device plate, then when i use a bottom bracket washer to space out the crank i get chain line problems...

any one got any ideas how to get round this ???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer75 View Post
    ive been trying to get a double chain device to work on my Tracer2 and having no luck.... ive got a superstar iscg05 double device... more or less the same as the stinger....

ive got saint cranks, the granny ring bolts hit the chain device plate, then when i use a bottom bracket washer to space out the crank i get chain line problems...

any one got any ideas how to get round this ???
    If the rub is slight, I've had success grinding the head of the chainring bolts flat. It does not take much. My XT cranks had the same issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i have receently seen two new chainguides been brought out by truvativ and MRP. both are actually MRP ones. The truvativ even says MRP on the back plate. they appear to be exactly the same and have the mini rear mech cogs rather than a roller
    They are designed for double ring set ups, the truvativ specifically for the 2x10 sram with ISCG05. i have read somewhere that the mrp say it will work on the tracer 2.
    i dont think either are out yet because i regualarly check chain reaction etc. though they have been 'launched'.
    its the MRP 2X
    truvativ X-Guide

Scottish mtbr member
    after much faffing ive finaly got a double chain device to work, turns out the superstar one is too long and hits the chain stay, but like every one said above the stinger does the job with some slight mods, i had to grind the granny chain ring bolts down a bit so that they clear the stinger, all works now, not much in the way of tension but at least it should keep my chain on for more than a 100 yards

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you guys running the bb mount stinger or the ISCG?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    having decided that the mrp 2x was somewhat pricey at 130, i have just ordered a blackspire stinger iscg5 for 22 (damn you chain reaction for being out of blue ones). i would have gone for the cheaper superstar one except that some superstar reviews said the back plate was thicker than than the blackspire and that is a critical issue here.

i will let you know how it goes in a week when fitted. the big issue i have is that i run sram x7 2x10 cranks and they dont seem compatable with any bash rings which as i found yesterday would be beneficial when i unshipped my chain outwards on a piece of winding downhill singletrack that was verging on perfect. i cant see that the mrp 2x would solve that either as chains drop of the top.

Scottish mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer2owner View Post
    having decided that the mrp 2x was somewhat pricey at 130, i have just ordered a blackspire stinger iscg5 for 22 (damn you chain reaction for being out of blue ones). i would have gone for the cheaper superstar one except that some superstar reviews said the back plate was thicker than than the blackspire and that is a critical issue here.

i will let you know how it goes in a week when fitted. the big issue i have is that i run sram x7 2x10 cranks and they dont seem compatable with any bash rings which as i found yesterday would be beneficial when i unshipped my chain outwards on a piece of winding downhill singletrack that was verging on perfect. i cant see that the mrp 2x would solve that either as chains drop of the top.
    I tried the superstar one, the problem i found wasnt that it was thicker, the issue was that its a bit longer than the Blackspire Stinger, the superstar tensioner wouldnt go far enough up to creat some tension on the chain, as it was too long, the metal plate would hit the rear chain stay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast