Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?

Hey guys,

I have read a lot of conversation about transforming a standard Tracer 2 to accept 275 wheels with new dropouts that are available but haven't actually seen one or heard from anyone that has done it. Not saying I want to do this because I'm pretty sure I have found my perfect AM rig in my T2 just the way it is, but I'm always curious about these things.

Anyone out there try this or maybe ridden one that could comment? Would it work with a standard FOX 36 Talas? I've seen pics of a 36 with 650b and still had acceptable clearance but I'm wondering about handling characteristics.

Any comments appreciated.
    Last edited by trojans1993; 01-25-2013 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, nobody out there has tried converting their T2 to a 275 yet. Let's lower the bar then, has anyone heard of this being done with success?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    IMO, it's just too expensive for a current owner of T2 (like me) to change wheel set, buy the conversion kit, and new fork just to compensate for a higher bottom bracket and a small difference in my ride to get into the 27.5 hype. I'll just stick to what I have, be happy and continue riding. But if you got the extra dough, do it, and give us your feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quite interested in this as well , will keep an eye on this thread.

mtbr member
    I know I've been waiting for a couple of months for my kit to come in. LBS called yesterday and they are in so I'm pretty stoked. In the meantime, I've been running a 650b rear wheel with a Vee Mission 2.1 tire. It barely fits with the regular dropouts. Can't help you with the front because I'm running a 29er wheel and fork. I've been 29er only since '05 but have grown tired of the long chainstays so I sold my Rip9 and bought a sweet works Tracer 2 frame off ebay to experiment with. So far I've really happy with it. It feels like a much more nimble and playful than my Rip9 but I will reserve judgement until I can put some big. beefy tires on it.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!

Tracer 2 to 275

Here you guys... I built this Nov last year, and didn't ride til Dec, so still very brand new. I built it straigh to a 27.5, so it was never a 26". The bike is awesome, probably the best bike I've owned! I've had a fleet of Intense's AM bikes from the original Tracer, 5.5, 6.6 and Uzzi. The Tracer 2(75) is sick!

The best part of it all is I'm using my Fox Talas 160 from my 26" bike. It has plenty of clearance. I also have a Fox Van 36 (also for 26") that I've swapped out from time to time, but I prefer the Talas because of its 3 settings (100-130-160mm)... Perfect when climbing. Anyhow, give it a shot if your thinking of converting your T2. You'll need the dropout and of course new wheels n tires.

Tracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?-imag1504.jpg
    Last edited by HardCharger; 01-30-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: pictures are pixelated after the system maintenance last night; was fine prior.

mtbr member
    Nice HC, that's just what I was hoping to see. I have a newer Talas 36 up front that I really like so if I can keep that it's got me even more curious. What size axles are you running on the Flows? I'm very intrigued, but wouldn't want to lose the playfulness I have with the my 26" setup. Thanks for posting!

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    20mm upfront and 142mm on the rear. I'll post more pics tomorrow, then one earlier was from my phone.. Kinda crappy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    awesome!

Whatabout rear tire clearance - how does the T2 rear tri holds to the larger diameter tire?
    does it seems to be a limiting factor for wider section tires at 27.5? (that is while using the replacement dropouts obviously).
    Last edited by Jonathan972; 01-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Yes I use Nevegals 2.1 on rear and there is plenty of clearance with the 275 dropouts. My bad I haven't had time to take pics but will try to do it later today.

mtbr member
    Well I guess curiosity killed this cat so I ordered a set of 27.5 Flow EX with some Hope 2 EVO hubs along with the G1 dropout kit ($175 for dropouts - really?). It's going to kill me to pull my beloved T2 apart for a major change like this, but I suppose nothing is permanent and can always go back if I wanted to. Everything I have read about the 27.5 thing just seems to make sense to me and I'll always be wondering unless I give it a shot. The wheels are being built up this week so I'm hoping to give it a thorough test ride next weekend.

Hey HardCharger - Is your front tire a Nevegal 2.1 as well? I need to find something that works with my Talas 36 as well but wanted to find something in the 2.2/2.3 range.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Nice T1993! Can't wait to see her built up. You'll dig it! I use Nevegals 2.35" for the front. I've been trying to post pics for awhile but it's only letting me upload one pic at a time. Here's a pic of the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?-img1505.jpg  

Last edited by HardCharger; 01-30-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: pictures are pixelated after the system maintenance last night; was fine prior.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Here's a pic of the rear with Nevegals 2.1. Plenty of room.
    Tracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?-img1506.jpgTracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?-img1503.jpg
    Last edited by HardCharger; 01-30-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: pictures are pixelated after the system maintenance last night; was fine prior.

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks for the pics although the front wheel pic isn't showing but could be my browser. Hey, dumb question, are you running tubeless with the Flows? This is my first pair of Stan's and I'm still a little unclear if they are Tubeless, Tubeless Ready, UST or non-UST, I know the builder is installing some Gorilla rim tape for me but I don't see a lot of 27.5" tires branded as Tubeless so I'm just wondering if I should plan on running tubes for a while - I really got use to my Tubeless Havens and would like to stay tubeless if possible.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Yes they are tubeless. I think they are tubeless ready. If you use Stan's rim strip plus their sealant you should be ok. I don't see too many 27.5 Tubeless specific but they will all work from what I hear. One of my buddies is running Maxxis Ardents on his 27.5 Carbine. I think maybe Schwalbes are UST, but look into it...they're expensive! I chose Nevs cause I like running a 2.1 on the rear. Not too many 27.5s tires come in 2.1.

mtbr member
    If Gorilla tape is installed than you don't need Stan's tape anymore. Gorilla tape works well with Stan's sealant.
    All Schwalbe tires are tubeless ready, meaning they have the bead that keeps them on the rim when run tubeless at low pressures. However, they require sealant.

HardCharger: did you, by any chance, put the 27.5 dropouts on the frame and used the 26" wheels? I am curious to hear what the geometry would be like in this setup (mainly BB height) and if the tire doesn't rub the frame on the chain and seatstays.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    HardCharger: did you, by any chance, put the 27.5 dropouts on the frame and used the 26" wheels? I am curious to hear what the geometry would be like in this setup (mainly BB height) and if the tire doesn't rub the frame on the chain and seatstays.
    iRider: YES I'm using the 27.5 dropouts (see pic) but NO, never used 26" tires with this bike. I used an app for my iphone for the angles...HA is 66 and SA is 71. Not sure of the BB but I can measure. No rubbing whatsoever. The Nevs 2.1" have plenty of clearance in the rearTracer 2 to 275 Conversion Kit - Anyone Done It?-img_1499.jpg.

mtbr member
    Alright the new dropouts arrived today just waiting on the Flows to be built and shipped. I took a shot in the dark and ordered some Pancenti Neo Moto 2.3 tires, after reading some good reviews sounds like a tire that would do well on the mostly dry trails here in socal and sounds like it has a conversion friendly profile. Thanks all for the tips and pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCharger View Post
    iRider: YES I'm using the 27.5 dropouts (see pic) but NO, never used 26" tires with this bike.
    Thanks. But I really would love to know how much lower and slacker the Tracer 2 becomes with the 27.5 dropouts and 26" wheels.
    Trojans, any chance you can get me these measurements when you convert? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks. But I really would love to know how much lower and slacker the Tracer 2 becomes with the 27.5 dropouts and 26" wheels.
    Trojans, any chance you can get me these measurements when you convert? Thanks.
    No problem, I'll probably install the dropouts tonight and take some before/after HA measurements with the Clinometer on my phone and see if there is any measurable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    No problem, I'll probably install the dropouts tonight and take some before/after HA measurements with the Clinometer on my phone and see if there is any measurable difference.
    Could you get a wheel base measurement too? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
    Could you get a wheel base measurement too? Thanks.
    10-4

mtbr member
    Well I tried.... Washed the bike, took some BEFORE photos, measured the wheelbase and head angle then changed the dropouts and went to put the wheel back on but realized the new dropouts are 12x142 but my 26" wheels are just a 9mm QR axle. There wasn't any real good way to hold it in place with enough accuracy to make a quality HA measurement.

But honestly, it is only moving the wheel back about 1/2" and I can't see anything that would suggest it would make a measurable difference in the HA. However, changing the wheelbase by +.5" could certainly make a difference in the way the bike handles (although I'm not sure it would be for the better)

Sorry about that, I should have realized the axle difference thing a long time ago especially since I just ordered the new X-12 axle yesterday and didn't even think about it. Oh well, I'll post a pic when wheels arrive and measure the wheelbase and HA again to see how the 275's change those numbers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    But honestly, it is only moving the wheel back about 1/2" and I can't see anything that would suggest it would make a measurable difference in the HA. However, changing the wheelbase by +.5" could certainly make a difference in the way the bike handles (although I'm not sure it would be for the better)
    Thanks for your effort!
    If it is only moving the axle back 1/2" then the BB with 27.5 wheels will be ridiculously high.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your effort!
    If it is only moving the axle back 1/2" then the BB with 27.5 wheels will be ridiculously high.
    You know I never really considered BB height so I aligned the old drops with the new ones and it appears the axle height is raised somewhere between a .25" and .5" - with that said you actually might see a measurable HA decrease (slacker) by a degree or so with 275 drops - too bad I wasn't able to get the 26" to mount so I could see how it felt with a slightly longer/lower setup.

I just receieved the X-12 axle and it really makes my old 9QR look so outdated. You can tell it will be stiffer just by looking at how the TA mounts the wheel to the frame - guess I was a little slow on that upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast