V-Shaped Rut

Tracer 1x9, 100mm

Hey all. I got sick of tuning my shifters all the time and normally ride SS anyway. I'm a strong enough climber that I find the granny gear useless and frustrating. So I took the front D off and did a ghetto 1x9 using the big ring as a bash guard. I took off the 80mm sid team I had on there and put on a 100mm duke. Swapped the answser carbon bar for a syncros gain aluminum with ergon grips. The result? Freakin awesome!

Before the granny gear plus all the lightweight gear up front would cause wheelies on steeper climbs, especially trying to get over rocks of which we have many in vegas. Now the heavier fork and bars along with LESS leverage without the granny makes climbing a LOT easier. Also the longer steerer stem and geometry change makes the bike more comfortable on long rides.

Downsides are the chain jumped a lot down to the granny on rough stuff. I need a chain guide or something. I'd also like a proper bash guard. Additional weight of course but its meaningless, its not heavy at all except maybe compared to my SS.

Of course I have pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    nice pix!!! post some more of this lovely bike in a nice scenery,

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is there any purpose the left shifter is serving?

V-Shaped Rut
    The left shifter and brake are one unit, can't remove it unfortunately. Only one more pic with the bike in its current form, but its not so much about the bike but a big drop. And no I didn't take it on this bike, heh heh.

mtbr member

1 x 9, 5.5 EVP

Hey Slacker

Nice setup...I've been rocking my 1 x 9 5.5 for the last six months...had it setup as a double 24 small and 34 middle when I built it up 2 years ago.
    I have a Socom setup for racing downhill with a 1 x 9 E13 LG-1 which is a 37 front ring and a 12-23 cogset.
    I figured, why not try it out on my 5.5...It's awesome. At first I tried to ghetto it out with a Blackspire guide and just a front bash guard...SUCKED!!!
    It kept throwing the chain...so I added a MRP plate I had lying around...worked like a champ, but it looked like s*&t.
    MRP makes a new guide called a G2 Mini...beautiful but a bit heavy. I've had it on there for about 3 weeks now...flawless.
    The 1 x 9 becomes a bit tough on long tech ascents...I have it setup as a 32 front ring with an 11-34 cogset.
    It's good middle of the road gearing for all-mountain, aggressive cross-country riding.

V-Shaped Rut
    Nice looking setup blueridge.

Currently I've rigged a front derailleur to stop the chain from jumping to the small ring. I rode some rock gardens at speed plus some smaller 1-2 foot drops yesterday and this worked fine. I suspect for my style of riding (aggressive XC but not so much AM) this will be fine. I'll get around to ordering a proper bash guard and an n-gear jumpstart soon to clean things up.

Eventually I'd like to get a longer travel bike and 1x9 it so I can do some gnarlier stuff without feeling like I'm gonna break my bike. The new tracer may be a good platform. Of course being cheap I'll wait till someone is selling a used one in a year or two.

mtbr member
    How thick is that Blackspike Roller Plate?

I had a similar setup on my 5.5 with a Heim Guide, Front Derailleur and the MRP roller and plate and it worked well too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeRider
    Hey Slacker

Nice setup...I've been rocking my 1 x 9 5.5 for the last six months...had it setup as a double 24 small and 34 middle when I built it up 2 years ago.
    I have a Socom setup for racing downhill with a 1 x 9 E13 LG-1 which is a 37 front ring and a 12-23 cogset.
    I figured, why not try it out on my 5.5...It's awesome. At first I tried to ghetto it out with a Blackspire guide and just a front bash guard...SUCKED!!!
    It kept throwing the chain...so I added a MRP plate I had lying around...worked like a champ, but it looked like s*&t.
    MRP makes a new guide called a G2 Mini...beautiful but a bit heavy. I've had it on there for about 3 weeks now...flawless.
    The 1 x 9 becomes a bit tough on long tech ascents...I have it setup as a 32 front ring with an 11-34 cogset.
    It's good middle of the road gearing for all-mountain, aggressive cross-country riding.

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Blackspire Plate Thickness

Hey CoyoteRun
    I believe it's 2mm thick.