mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Torque Specs - Spider Comp

I have put in enough break-in rides on my new Spider Comp that I now want to go in and tighten everything up to make sure all is still torqued to spec. Are the torque specs and techniques similar to Santa Cruz as listed on the link below?

Tech Sheet (Blur LT2, BlurLT carbon, Nomad2, Nomad carbon)

Also, do I need to remove the wedge bolts to check the pivot axle torque every time I torque it down or do I only need to check the axle torque if the wedge bolts have come loose?

I appreciate the help!

I will right up a full review of the bike soon but this thing is fast up and down. I was riding with the two fastest downhill guys I ride with on their AM sleds, and I was hanging on their rear wheels much easier with the Spider Comp than with my Uzzi. Trails were just moderately rocky and steep single-track but impressive nonetheless. I am very pleased with this purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ended up speaking to Sam on the phone - very helpful. Figured I would post the information here for future torque spec searchers. Sam, please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding here.

We will start from the bottom up.
    Lower link axles (axles themselves inside of the expander bolt) = 60 inch lbs
    Expander bolts on lower axles = 125 inch lbs
    Upper bolts attaching swing link to top tube = 125 inch lbs
    Lower bolts attaching swing link to seat stays = 175 inch lbs

I was negligent in not getting the torque specs for the upper and lower shock bolts. Sam please confirm my data is correct above and provide the shock bolt torque specs as well. Thanks!

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I ended up speaking to Sam on the phone - very helpful. Figured I would post the information here for future torque spec searchers. Sam, please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding here.

We will start from the bottom up.
    Lower link axles (axles themselves inside of the expander bolt) = 60 inch lbs
    Expander bolts on lower axles = 125 inch lbs
    Upper bolts attaching swing link to top tube = 125 inch lbs
    Lower bolts attaching swing link to seat stays = 175 inch lbs

I was negligent in not getting the torque specs for the upper and lower shock bolts. Sam please confirm my data is correct above and provide the shock bolt torque specs as well. Thanks!
    Correct on the values I gave you above. As for shock mounting bolts, stay around 60-70 in/lb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks again for the info.