Thread: tires for 6.6

tires for 6.6

My 6.6 bike weights a tad shy of 36 pounds, so i would like to shed at least 2 pounds from the tires and tubes. I'm currently running 2.35 maxxis minion dhf/dhr ST with maxxis middleweight tubes (i think...). I like the sturdiness of the walls (no need to worry about pinch flats yet)... as with the maxxis mofo DH 2.35 i have on my hardtail. As a bench mark, IMO, the minions roll fine on the street and are excellent on the downhills. I just dont like the overall weight of the bike on the climbs, so i need to strip some fat somewhere on the rig (not me ).

I looked at the venerable Nevegals, but i heard they roll realy slow cuz of the soft compound. I would like the tire to still not flounder from 4-5 foot drops, since i do some urban as well, but i would prefer a trail tire that can on the rocks/roots and drops rather than err on the side of a DH tire.. if that makes any sense .
    anyways, do not want to have to carry too much weight on the trails. I need/want/prefer lighter tires/tubes.

it does get wet/muddy here in northern california, but it's usually more dry or slightly damp most of the year, so an all-purpose tire that doesn't HAVE to be a great mud tire would be nice. Thanks

Any suggestions on what i should try out to save > 2 lbs?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    My 6.6 bike weights a tad shy of 36 pounds, so i would like to shed at least 2 pounds from the tires and tubes. I'm currently running 2.35 maxxis minion dhf/dhr ST with maxxis middleweight tubes (i think...). I like the sturdiness of the walls (no need to worry about pinch flats yet)... as with the maxxis mofo DH 2.35 i have on my hardtail. As a bench mark, IMO, the minions roll fine on the street and are excellent on the downhills. I just dont like the overall weight of the bike on the climbs, so i need to strip some fat somewhere on the rig (not me ).

I looked at the venerable Nevegals, but i heard they roll realy slow cuz of the soft compound. I would like the tire to still not flounder from 4-5 foot drops, since i do some urban as well, but i would prefer a trail tire that can on the rocks/roots and drops rather than err on the side of a DH tire.. if that makes any sense .
    anyways, do not want to have to carry too much weight on the trails. I need/want/prefer lighter tires/tubes.

it does get wet/muddy here in northern california, but it's usually more dry or slightly damp most of the year, so an all-purpose tire that doesn't HAVE to be a great mud tire would be nice. Thanks

Well, Try this system:

Stans no tubes, with either Maxxis Highroller Single Ply 2.35 Super Tacky, or Kenda Nevegal 2.35 single-ply Stick-E front and 2.1/2.35 rear. I have a set of the Kenda and will have them on by this weekend and can give a ride report. I have ridden them on a buddies bike and I thought they rolled great. The center tread is a harder durometer rubber and the side tread is the Stick-E for conforming to terrain. Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't had many bikes but sooo many tires... (Contis, Hutchinsons, Schwalbes, WTB, Michelin, Kenda).

The perfect combo reasonable weight great grip/traction that I've ever been on for a mix of everything, technical trails, light DH, urban...

Nevagal 2.5 sticky front and Nevagal 2.35 DTC rear loaded with Stans goop on Mavic Xmax XL wheels.

The Nevagal sticky rear wears way too fast and yes it's a bit slow but the DTC is better. In front the 2.5 sticky doesn't feel slow, well not to me, but it really inspires confidence when you look at that big meat grinder below your handlebar...

Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For my 6.6 I run a Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.50 on the front (Fox 36 Van fork) and the narrower 2.35 on the rear.

2.50 weighs 846 grams (1.87 pounds)
    2.35 weighs 722 grams (1.59 pounds)

Specialized 26 x 1.5-2.2 tubes weigh around 165 grams.

If you are not happy with the extra money spent on increased tyre wear then get the non Stick-E versions (called DTC). Although if you want 2.50 for the front then you'll have to go with Stick-E. But the front doesn't wear as much as the rear anyway.

These are the best tyres I've used.

And the Santa Cruz pro team has just moved to Kenda tyres. If they are good enough for Steve Peat...

Dirt Diva Little h

Check out the Bontrager Big Earl tubeless. They are beefie and will work with stans and are 870gm for 2.35 tire or the kevlar version with dual tread that is only 725gm for a 2.5 tire!!! I have not tried them yet but I'm very interested....
    Last edited by heather@thebakkers.com; 01-18-2006 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll just add that the 2.35 nevegals are a little tight in the frame. They are awesome tires and if you aren't worried about the snug clearance, you will be happy. I'd also consider the 2.35 folding single-ply Minions.

thanks the the recommendations!

I had the shop order 2.35 kevlar DTC from the rear, 2.5 kevlar stick-e for the front.
    wow i called 5 shops and no one has them in stock, and one said they've been trying for months and they're on backorder... "such a hot tire lately" as the guy put it.

Has anyone tried running the minion dhF on the rear? I heard of some people doing it.
    I haven't found agreeing weights on the tires on different sites, but it seems the dhF runs around 800grams, the dhR is 1000+grams. So the DHR is def the heavyweight guy that I definitely want to swap out... maybe with the DHF in the rear and put a nevegal 2.5 up front??
    I'll also look into the 2.2 specialized tubes.. since chiz's bike is lookin pretty at that light weight If i flat those quickly.. i'll put the maxxis tubes back on.

aka...appBLING72
    thanks the the recommendations!

I had the shop order 2.35 kevlar DTC from the rear, 2.5 kevlar stick-e for the front.
    wow i called 5 shops and no one has them in stock, and one said they've been trying for months and they're on backorder... "such a hot tire lately" as the guy put it.

Has anyone tried running the minion dhF on the rear? I heard of some people doing it.
    I haven't found agreeing weights on the tires on different sites, but it seems the dhF runs around 800grams, the dhR is 1000+grams. So the DHR is def the heavyweight guy that I definitely want to swap out... maybe with the DHF in the rear and put a nevegal 2.5 up front??
    I'll also look into the 2.2 specialized tubes.. since chiz's bike is lookin pretty at that light weight If i flat those quickly.. i'll put the maxxis tubes back on.

Have you tried the Stans set up. I have it on both bikes and it works great. You can run much lower pressure with out the risk of pinch flats as easily. Nothing is totally safe, but the Stans seems to work great and the rolling weight reduced from a tube is a great thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    Have you tried the Stans set up. I have it on both bikes and it works great. You can run much lower pressure with out the risk of pinch flats as easily. Nothing is totally safe, but the Stans seems to work great and the rolling weight reduced from a tube is a great thing.
    I second that, I never want to see tubes again, what a pain in the butt those are...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I swapped most of my parts from my 5.5 over to the Uzzi,so I have mavic crossmaxx sls with hutchinson pythons with stans in them.They look way akward on the big ass Uzzi,but this is the best set up I've ever had.The pythons are my all time favorites, I know someone will hate them, it's just my opinion that they hook up so nicely in all conditions,up and down .So far I've dropped 4.5 feet on some shaky trannys and no problems,been using them since late 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I second that, I never want to see tubes again, what a pain in the butt those are...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1208&category=

is this what i need?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ya if you don't have tubeless rims that is. I have to admit I've never tried Stan's full kit with the rim strip. I run my Nevagals tubeless on a Mavic Xmax XL wheel so I don't need the rim strip, just Stans sealant in the tires. It's probably a bit more tricky to have the tire seal on a non-tubeless rim but I know a lot of people run it that way. Just be patient the first time you mount one and follow the instruction correctly. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Ya if you don't have tubeless rims that is. I have to admit I've never tried Stan's full kit with the rim strip. I run my Nevagals tubeless on a Mavic Xmax XL wheel so I don't need the rim strip, just Stans sealant in the tires. It's probably a bit more tricky to have the tire seal on a non-tubeless rim but I know a lot of people run it that way. Just be patient the first time you mount one and follow the instruction correctly. Good luck.

did you go to Stan's because you were blowing through tubes rather easily?
    I'll admit i've never flatted on the trail or from drops.. the only time I pinch flatted was when my sorry-excuse-for-a-bunny-hop wasn't high enough for a flight of stairs and i tacoed my rear rim on the top step.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hello unfluid one

The Specialized tubes I run are not their extra light ones. The "Ultra Light" tube is 109 grams, the 166 grams I run is just a standard tube. I went to the Alps in France last year for 7 days, took 8 tubes with me (they only cost £2.50 / $4.00 in the UK). Not a single flat!

Although they are rated for 2.2 max, they run just fine on a 2.5 tyre.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    did you go to Stan's because you were blowing through tubes rather easily?
    I'll admit i've never flatted on the trail or from drops.. the only time I pinch flatted was when my sorry-excuse-for-a-bunny-hop wasn't high enough for a flight of stairs and i tacoed my rear rim on the top step.
    Yes the first reason I went with Stans was because I was flating (pinch and others) often even with 40lbs+ of air pressure.

So I was happy with tubeless because no more pinch flats, BUT, what I did not expect and what really sold me forever on tubeless, is the amount of traction and confidence you get by running only 25 to 30 pounds of pressure in a 2.3 to 2.5 size tire.

Members who have read this thread: 0