mtbr member

Thinking of a Tracer 2 to 275 Switch

Anyone else made the switch or spent time on both bikes? I built up my dream bike last year right before the 275 came out and have been having second thoughts at times. I also recently built my first 29er up (Santa Cruz Highball) and love the big wheels for local non-techy trails. I'm thinking the 275 will be the best of both worlds and allow me to still play on the lifts and feel better doing all day rides with the bigger wheel size.

Here is the current T2, new KS post added recently as well. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Just finished converting my T2 to 275 and absolutely love it.

mtbr member

Thinking of a Tracer 2 to 275 Switch

Uh forgive me...but convert? Wheels + fork?

Or you got a whole new frame?

mtbr member
    Sorry about that, I meant to insert a link to the thread. No fork swap needed for a Fox 36 (see pic) I just got some new Flows EX wheels and G1 275 dropouts for the conversion. Clearance is great and rides like a dream.

Tracer 2 Conversion
    Last edited by trojans1993; 04-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    That is freaking sweet! Well done! Wonder if it would work with a 36 Float?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike21 View Post
    That is freaking sweet! Well done! Wonder if it would work with a 36 Float?
    Thanks. I'm almost positive a Fox 36 Talas and Float will have the same clearance. There's a lot of good info on the 650b forum on this site regarding tires, forks, etc. that I found helpful.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the info, I've been wondering about the ramifications of changing the geometry. How does the slacker angle feel on climbs and more non-techy sections. I'm assuming it descends like a dream and motors through rock gardens but a little concerned on the 'trail' aspect of it.

Basically, did the 1/2 degree of slackness really change it much? I might throw on a 10mm longer stem too if that would help.

mtbr member
    It climbs and trail rides better than ever with the same setup before the conversion so I wouldn't change a thing. The idea is to keep it as playful as a 26 so a longer stem would counter productive IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Couple quick questions on the 275 conversion:

1) for the dropout conversion kit, does it come as the full set only or can you get the right side dropout on its own as well? I like to have a spare hanger in my kit when I ride.

2) I understand that the droput kit involves a special brake caliper adapter as well. What size rotor does this adaptor support? I'm running 180mm Hope rotors currently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Couple quick questions on the 275 conversion:

1) for the dropout conversion kit, does it come as the full set only or can you get the right side dropout on its own as well? I like to have a spare hanger in my kit when I ride.

2) I understand that the dropout kit involves a special brake caliper adapter as well. What size rotor does this adapter support? I'm running 180mm Hope rotors currently.
    1) When I bought my conversion kit from Fanatik Bike a few months back it was sold as a kit with the left and right dropouts + the brake caliper adapter. Since then I have looked for someone else and I thought I only saw it sold as individual pieces (same total price I believe) so you should be able to buy a backup hanger if you want.

2) Yes a brake adapter is needed so the rotor lines up properly in the caliper (also available at Fanatik). Unfortunately the only size available at the time was for a 160 rotor so I ended up going 203F and 160R with Hope M4 brakes and have no regrets - far superior to my former XTR988 setup.

**Also, you will need a Syntace X-12 axle (so much nicer than my old QR) so MAKE SURE the wheels you are looking at have 12mm hub. I found the X-12 axle on ebay for ~$20 I believe.

Hope this helps, give Fanatik a quick call and they will make sure you have the right stuff - good guys over there from my experience, I bought the ZTR Flow EX 650b custom wheelset from them too and they were very helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

mtbr member
    My 32 150 26" fork cleared a 27.5 X 2.25 tire with plenty to spare so I have no doubt it'll clear on any 36 fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. Ya, I ordered drive side G1 dropouts from Fanatik last year but I think the 275 conversion was as a kit only then. I really wish Intense would make the drive side a 2 piece. $70 for a spare derailleur hanger hurts.

Fortunately I bought a Hope Pro 2 EVO hub when I built these wheels, so I just need an axle conversion for the rear wheel plus the hoops and tires