mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Tall Folks and Tracer 27.5?

I am thinking of getting a Tracer 27.5 and was wondering what tall people did with this bike? The biggest size is a large. What experience has anyone who is 6'2 and up had with the bike? I am thinking of riding it in the 5.5in travel mode as more of a beefy all mountain/xc type bike. Anyone else have any thoughts of using this bike as an aggressive XC bike?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" with long legs and a shorter torso and have no problems. I love the bike! As far as aggressive xc... not sure as I don't have mine setup that way, but I'm sure it would be ok. The frame is pretty beefy and is on the heavier side at just below 8lbs with rear shock and thru axle.

mtbr member
    Hey man;

I'm 6' 2" (long legs) and built the Tracer as a beefy AM bike, which I'll use for XC purposes, as well as light park duty (I hope). I went with a Large frame and it fits wonderfully!
    The frame is beefy! When I first got it, I was stunned.

By FAR the best bike I've had (Reign, Ibis Mojo, SC Nomad, SC V10, Transition Bandit 29er, Specialized SX etc). Climbs amazing for its weight (32 lbs) and descends like a mini V10. Super sure footed, the 650 wheels roll over everything but, curiously, don't feel much different than 26 wheels in the tight stuff.

I ride it in the 6in setting and love it. I quite enjoy the Float CTD. On Climb is very stiff. On Descend is super plush. I have the 2014 Pike fork and it's a gem. I ran older Pikes on my previous bikes and was super happy when they came out with it again. This one is stiffer and more plush.

I know it all sounds almost too good to be true. But this bike really is. In general, I am a HUGE fan and convert of the 650B trend - but that being said, Intense built an amazing bike.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tall Folks and Tracer 27.5?-p4pb9829476.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    well the vast majority of my riding will be on more XC trails than park type riding. Midwest is short punchy uphills and rocky descents. Nothing I couldn't ride on a hardtail 29, but I have been looking for a more playful ride. My only worry about getting one of these is that I will be hauling a lot of heft around for no reason.

I was thinking that my build would have the bike set up in 5.5 inch travel matched to a 140mm ctd fork. This way I could convert the travel to 6 inch when I get out to colorado for vacation once or twice a year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am 6'1" and ride a size large with a 50mm stem, fits great.

I just switched from a spider to the Tracer 275. The Tracer is stiffer, 3lbs heavier and a better all around bike. A couple of pounds here and there makes naff all difference. Have a poop before you ride if you're worried about it; its not worth obsessing about.

If the trails you ride suit a 140mm travel xc style bike, buy a spider. If they demand a burly all mountain bike, get the tracer and build it appropriately. I ride in Newfoundland, Canada - its nicknamed 'The Rock'. Trails are rooty, rocky and hard on gear so the tracer makes sense here more than the Spider - 6 inches is perfect.

oh yeah, a 140 mm fork on the tracer will suck. The bottom bracket will be too low. 160mm fork (6.3inch) works great. Build the frame how it was designed or buy something else.

My Tracer 275 - Fox float, XT, hope, stans flow ex. A simple and functional build, nothing to fancy that can't be replaced for not too much money when it breaks.

Tall Folks and Tracer 27.5?-tracer_275_-001.jpg