mtbr member
    Mar 2006

A tale of 2 shocks - on the SS - DHX and Vivid

Just sharing some info because hey, sharing is caring....

Since getting my SS nearly a year ago, I have never been entirely happy with the performance. The rear suspension action just sucked. I tried everything to tune out the things I didn't like but to no avail. The main issue with the DHX5 was / is compression spiking. Hitting rock gardens / successive roots sections at speed causes chronic spiking. The shock also ramped up too much which, combined with an already progressive linkage made the shock even worse deep in its travel. The only time it felt ok was on BIG single hits like drops or small rolling bumps.

Finally, after seeking people's opinions and doing my google research i ponied up and bought a new shock. I was advised / decided taht that for the money, the Vivid was the way to go. Well, at last I can say my bike feels good - as it should. The shock does what it's meant to. Soaks up small, medium and large hits with aplomb. The dual rebound means you can run it fast and still not get bucked off lips or G-outs. It doesn't bob much - even with no low speed comp wound all the way off. No air pressure to d1ck around with either - what a pleasure.

So..... if any of you SS'ers out there aren't completely happy with the way your bike rides - try a different shock. In the end I narrowed it down to the Vivid and CCDB. The Vivid is 1/2 the price and so far feels 100% better that the fox. As long as it doesn't destroy itself I'll be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Friend of mine did this also and so far hes been really pleased.

Custom User Title
    I have a 6.6 and ditched the DHX air for a coil. Best thing I have done for that bike. I am looking at the Roco TST-R as a replacement.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

biking is fun
    Thats funny, mine came with a vivid cause i bought it used and i switched to a DHX and loved it. I did get on 09 dhx coil which they have changed quite a bit on so that might be why i love it so much.

the only complaint i had with the vivid was reliability. careful not to turn out the rebound knobs too much because oil and air will leak if you take them all the way out. this happened to my dads and mine. i cant remember which one but its the one you use an allen wrench to adjust and there are only 5 clicks.
    luckily rock shox is a great company and they warrantied it. i sold the new one i recieved and a week later the kid who bought it had issues where the shock would clunk and had move 1/4 of an inch. i researched this problem and i guess its quite common to get a "knocking" noise from it.
    again rock shox warrantied it for him but thats 3 vivids i have come in contact with and all 3 had issues.

for now ill stick with my dhx and if i want better performance ill get it pushed. i am a firm believer in the 3 strikes your out policy. if you search the forums it seems like vivid are prone to dying within the first season of use. hopefully they worked it out in 09 cause all of the ones we tried were 08's.

and im not saying this to rain on your parade, just make sure to keep checking for oil around the rebound knobs. when it was working it did feel amazing but after a bout with a manitou revox on a different bike i wasn't in the mood to mess with another high maintenance rear shock. dhx might not be as good feeling but they are reliable.

and the ccdb would be awesome but a little too pricey for me right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sheesh. Well I hope I don't have any of those issues. I was hesitant to buy a rockshox product because the last of their products I owned (pre Sram) was total cr*p and I swore never again. I thought they'd fixed their quality / reliability issues. I hope I am lucky with this one.

biking is fun
    yeah rock shox feel really good when they are working but i have had a string of bad luck.

my revelation had a bad damper
    my totem had damper issues
    3 vivids between me and my dad
    1 boxxer that rock shox couldn't even fix

i just put a 09 boxxer on my socom though so lets hope it works out. i really want to like rock shox with the marzocchi's being even less reliable and heavy but they are making it really hard for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    yeah rock shox feel really good when they are working but i have had a string of bad luck.

my revelation had a bad damper
    my totem had damper issues
    3 vivids between me and my dad
    1 boxxer that rock shox couldn't even fix

i just put a 09 boxxer on my socom though so lets hope it works out. i really want to like rock shox with the marzocchi's being even less reliable and heavy but they are making it really hard for me.
    I hear you. The mtb industry is still a fair way behing when it comes to reliable / issue free products.

I've had a steerer tube come loose from the crown on a Marz 66, and two blown Fox36 cartriges one of which fox couldn't identify the issue with so it had to be replaced. Then there was the plastic bag (yes as in shopping bag) I found in the fork leg of my new 36's and the two fox rear shocks (DHX and DHX Air) that came low on oil / not bled properly so I had to have them serviced almost right away.

Just cr*p what we have to put up with but sadly there are no great / affordable alternatives....

Commit or eat sh!t
    2009 Fox Dhx Coil works pretty well for me on my SS like some of the guys above. Lot better than stock Dhx's of previous years. Almost good as a Pushed Dhx. I am guessing yours was the 2008 model?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    2009 Fox Dhx Coil works pretty well for me on my SS like some of the guys above. Lot better than stock Dhx's of previous years. Almost good as a Pushed Dhx. I am guessing yours was the 2008 model?
    i agree man, fox has really stepped it up lately. my 09 dhx is amazing as stated above and i have an 08 talas that was completely rebuilt with 09 internals and it feels really good. the only thing i wish it still had was the internal bottom out. other people complained that they couldn't get the last inch of travel and i think that sounds perfect for the FR stuff i do.

Commit or eat sh!t
    i agree man, fox has really stepped it up lately. my 09 dhx is amazing as stated above and i have an 08 talas that was completely rebuilt with 09 internals and it feels really good. the only thing i wish it still had was the internal bottom out. other people complained that they couldn't get the last inch of travel and i think that sounds perfect for the FR stuff i do.
    My brother bottomed out his 09 Talas bunch of times yesterday doing Tunnel in Santa Barbara. Probably not the right bike (low BB) as it is rock gardens the whole way down. His DH bike wasn't ready. We We didn't have a shock pump, probably needed 5-10 PSI more. But it was a soft bottom out. He didn't feel it at all (zip tie showed it). So you can safely say that the last inch problem has been fixed. His Talas also feels almost as good, if not better, than my coil Lyrik.

biking is fun
    right, i wish it did have the last inch problem so i would not be bottoming it out. i have been running mine pretty soft though.
    im buying enduro seals and going to use there super slick grease, stantion lube, and take their suggestion to use multi viscosity motor oil and its supposed to make the talas super buttery. can't wait to try it out.

Commit or eat sh!t
    right, i wish it did have the last inch problem so i would not be bottoming it out. i have been running mine pretty soft though.
    im buying enduro seals and going to use there super slick grease, stantion lube, and take their suggestion to use multi viscosity motor oil and its supposed to make the talas super buttery. can't wait to try it out.
    When I tried out his bike, I only got 5" of travel. But I didn't do any serious DH runs. So Talas is really progressive for the last 1" of travel. You probably won't have the bottom out issue unless you are hitting some serious rock gardens or doing 6'+ drops.

By the way, did you pick out a DH bike? I remember you asking about some bikes like Socom, Jedi, etc.