mtbr member
    Mar 2006

T2 vs Carbine: stability going down?

As the title says, which one is more stable going down? The geometry numbers look really close on paper but would like to hear opinions.

Also, I know the Tracer is heavier but some times that's an advantage too just not going up lol
    Thanks

mtbr member
    The stability will really depend on the rest of the build (wheels, fork, tires, bars, stem, etc) I honestly don't think you would notice much of stability difference if the bikes were identical other than the T2 vs Carbine frame.

Having ridden a Carbine and owning a T2 I think you would be very happy either way if you build it up properly. My T2 has done everything from paved bike paths to Mammoth DH and seems to feel right at home no matter what you throw at it - both excellent bikes IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Trojans, as you have tried both bikes I have to ask, if you were building a bike right now, dor the same riding you do, which frame would you choose between these 2?

For an AM build, 160mm fork, competent wheels, etc.

mtbr member
    Great question. Call me a bit old fashioned but I still put a lot of value in “Handmade in the USA” with proven good quality aluminum. Not to say the Carbine couldn’t handle it, but I am pretty rough on bikes and always like to take the bumpy, rocky, jumpy route down the hill and my T2 has come through with flying colors no matter what I throw at it and I would be very hesitant to mess with that.

So if I was going to build a “do it all” bike I would stick with the proven T2 and build it up nice and strong and not worry about the extra weight (personally I think people put too much value in shaving weight) and enjoy a bike that can do just about anything from XC to AM to light DH.

However, now that I have a dedicated DH rig (the M9 is a ridiculously fun ride) I might seriously consider doing a dedicated XC/AM ride with a Carbine(275) platform and build it up with climbing and speed in mind rather than an all-around bruiser build like the T2.

Hope this helps, again, just my opinion and I’m sure you will be happy either way. Feel free to ask if you have any other Q?s.