Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CTB
    mtbr member

Swingarm Protection?

Hi all. New Intense owner here (used 2010 Tracer VP). Love the bike performance, but has anyone found a good, durable way to protect the swingarm/chainstay area where the chain tears the heck out of it? I'm talking right at the lower link on the drive side. I'm going through self-fusing tape at an alarming rate trying to protect what's left of that area on mine and wondered if anyone has come up with a better mousetrap. I run a 3-ring setup (soon to be 2), so I think I'm SOL for any kind of tensioner helping.

FWIW, last time I taped it, I put a small piece I cut from a CD-R case underneath so that when the tape wears through, there's a plastic sacrifice panel before it gets to the paint/metal again. The curve of the CD case matches remarkably well to that part of the swingarm. But I only get about 4 rides before I have to retape.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I use 3m Mastic Tape. One roll does four frames and is available at Home Depot for $10. I've had great luck with it and it lasts long, quiets things down, and can be cut to look almost factory installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm Protection?-img_2751.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Ah, thanks, that's something to look at. We used to use mastic patches at work for other things, so I'm guessing this is similar material. Quieter wouldn't be a bad thing either!

Would a 2-ring tensioner help? It looks like some of the ones like a Blackspire Stinger would keep the chain away from that area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use Framewrap on my Tracer (Home) and it works well. It looks like the same stuff as the Mastic tape above, but it only sticks to itself. I also run a Blackspire Stinger (2x10 setup for me) which helps quite a bit with dropping chains & keeping noise down. I'll probably give that Mastic tape a try when I run out of my Framewrap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Try an old tube. Wrap it around and use a ziptie. If you need something stronger use a old road slick tire (foldable) and cut a piece and ziptie it.

mtbr member
    I typically don't keep my frames longer than a year so I protect it as if it would go through a nuclear blast to keep re-sale value up.

I typically wrap the frame with 3M (Scotchgard) paint protection clear film 8mil. The areas where I wrap the chainstay don't last that long so I use Velcro (soft-side), cut it to fit and and old tube that I cut in half and wrap around the stays (can't see the Velcro underneath but it's there). The links are also notorious for chain rub so I add Velcro to that too. Anal? yes.

Photo of my latest frame done up and a frame without the protection on link but with some on stay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm Protection?-uzzi_complete-10.jpg  

Swingarm Protection?-intense_tracer29-flaw-17.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Anyone using the Bionicon c.guide v.02? It looks like exactly what would help here.
    Last edited by CTB; 05-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Anyone using the Bionicon c.guide v.02? It looks like exactly what would help here.
    See this review on it, mentions protecting carbon bikes but same idea

Bionicon C Guide V.02 Review – ondirtreview
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have ordered a c.guide v02. I'll post once I have some test time with it. The online video with some footage of the chain with and without was very convincing and looks like it addresses exactly what I'm experiencing. We'll see!

Lord of the Chainrings
    I have ordered a c.guide v02. I'll post once I have some test time with it. The online video with some footage of the chain with and without was very convincing and looks like it addresses exactly what I'm experiencing. We'll see!

Same here.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

wuss
    Works great for me, had one for a few months. Don't know how much it would protect from above though (already had protection there), but I don't hear any chainslap anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i saw that they made an stronger rear triangle but i am not going to wait until it break because my warranty expires in 5 months so i will like to send my old and of they can send me the stiffer rear triangle i will pay the shipment cost ???? someone know something?? please help me

CTB
    mtbr member
    Here's a crappy phone video of me running the gears with mine installed. I won't be able to ride until Tuesday, though.

Bionicon c.guide - YouTube

Pick the 720p HD setting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "Mister tuffy" sucks for your tires but rules as a chainstay protector.

Also you can use self vulcanize tape that you can get at places like west marine, It bonds with itself after a few hours, really great material.

CTB
    mtbr member
    That black stuff you see ahead of the Lizard Skin on my chainstay in the video I posted is self-vulcanizing tape. The Tracer's design cuts through several layers of that in less than 4 rides. However, I'm hoping this new guide keeps the chain off that area so that I don't have to retape it nearly as often. I like that self-vulc tape stuff, but I'm going through it like it's water.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Boinicon C.guide works just fine on my 951.
    Just not a fan of the price.
    Anyway....Goodbye chainslap...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm Protection?-cguide951.jpg  

"Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    Just not a fan of the price.
    I wasn't either, but then the one reviewer I read online had a statement that hooked me. He said, "Ok, it's expensive, but how much did you pay for that frame?" I kinda nodded and thought, "I guess he's right."
    Anyway....Goodbye chainslap...
    Looking forward to it!

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    I wasn't either, but then the one reviewer I read online had a statement that hooked me. He said, "Ok, it's expensive, but how much did you pay for that frame?" I kinda nodded and thought, "I guess he's right."

Looking forward to it!
    Another way to look at it:

The C.Guide is a smoother running, quieter and at 19g a much lighter solution than anything else available. As with any product in the bike industry you pay more for lite-weight and better function. Once you put it on and use it, you will see the value.
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

CTB
    mtbr member
    Initial report on Bionicon:

Sadly, I did not have a good first-run with the Bionicon. Here is a video of how I had installed it:

Bionicon c.guide - YouTube

I was worried about clearance to the crankarm when using the 11-tooth in the back, and it turns out I was right. Not only crank clearance, but also shoe clearance. My installation lasted about 20 minutes. The guide made contact with my foot or the crank arm while pedaling down a gnarly fast section, which rotatated it and then broke the mounting pivot piece. Fortunately the kit came with two.

So I did some investigation. Moving it forward seems like the only solution; moving it rearward will make the amount it sticks out when using the 11T even worse, and it also greatly reduces the ability to stop the chain from tearing up the chainstay (i.e. the whole reason I got it). I remounted it and took a quick spin.

I observed what is happening. In the higher gears (11T, 12T, etc.) with the guide outboard, over rough sections it starts to bounce into the path of the cranks and your foot. So I'm going to try the solution you see here, using self-fusing tape as a damping material:

This still allows the guide to move, but it stops the undamped bouncing. Or so I hope...

On the plus side, while it was on the bike, it did help. The bike is still fairly loud, but once I had to stop and remove it when the attachment broke, I immediately noticed a lot more noise and chain slap, and in about 2 minutes I dropped a chain. So it works, I just have to make sure I can keep this failure from happening again.

I'm surprised no one else has had this problem. I'd love to hear more ideas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Mastik tape is great. I took delivery of my new M9 yesterday and just bought some Mastik sheets that are actually twice as thick as the tape.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I wanted to post an update. I now have two successful rides on the guide installed as you see above, plus one more zip tie in the middle as recommended by Bionicon. Paul from Bionicon contacted me directly with some recommendations, etc. Top-notch customer service! I'd certainly not hesitate to buy their products in the future.

Next step may be to remove the damping tape and see how it goes, but I'm tempted to not mess with what is working. The Tracer will never be a quiet bike, but it was quieter and I had much less chain trouble on the rides. It also appears to be protecting the chainstay as I had hoped, as my tape there appears to be nearly untouched after the last ride.

So far, I'm happy!

mtbr member

Ghetto Bionicon

I just made a Ghetto Bionicon c-guide - I have not had it out on the trails yet, but it is quiet around my neighborhood, and the FD still shifts well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm Protection?-chain_guide.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colin1 View Post
    I just made a Ghetto Bionicon c-guide - I have not had it out on the trails yet, but it is quiet around my neighborhood, and the FD still shifts well
    Sweet! Please update us with a ride report.

mtbr member
    Not to bring an old thread back, but this stuff works wonders. Comes with a chain stay, seat stay and down tube pieces and a couple smaller ones for cable rub. Really quiets down the bike as well.
    Home | Frame Defender

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ***MTB*** View Post
    Not to bring an old thread back, but this stuff works wonders. Comes with a chain stay, seat stay and down tube pieces and a couple smaller ones for cable rub. Really quiets down the bike as well.
    Home | Frame Defender
    Looks like that company copied what Hydro Turf has been doing for 20 years. Made for jet skis & boats. Hydro-Turf - About the Hydro-Turf Product
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast