mtbr member

Sweet spot for front fork travel Carbine SL

What's everyone think the sweet spot is? Originally I had a Talas 120/140 (2008) fork on my SL with the rear in the short travel mode. The bike felt fantastic with 120 on both ends.

Just put on a Float 150 (2012) up front and switched to long travel in the back. Bike definitely feels less precise. I can feel the front end push in corners where before, at 120 it was like a razor.

Thinking of reducing the travel to 130 or 140. Just wondering how others have their front end set up.

mtbr member
    long travel rear 140 front(2013 float ctd)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Interesting. I currently have mine long in the rear with a 140 revelation up front, but was thinking of removing the spacer to up it to 150.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member

I reduced the 150 Float down to 140. Still using long travel in the back ( I assume the long travel position is the upper hole in the rocker).
    I like the feel much better than in the 150 travel position. Cornering was better without the pushing I felt in 150 mode.

Something to note is that Im on a small frame. It can be difficult keeping the handlebars level or only slightly above the seat height on smalls with long forks. When the bars get too high, theres just not enough weight over the front wheel. Right now, I'm where I like to be with saddle / bar orientation so that definitely helps.

I also think getting the front and rear balanced is helping handling. At 152ish psi in the shock and 72 in the fork, things are reacting real nice (175# body weight). By the end of the ride both travel indicator O-rings were right down to the "Kashima coating" letters on the fork and shock. So I used all the travel on both ends and never really felt a harsh bottom on either.

Overall yesterday mornings ride was the best yet on this bike. It sliced up the twisty stuff, smoothed out the rocks without feeling mushy and made all the climbs easily. Of course the ride went down hill fast when I ran over a ground bee nest and got swarmed and stung many many times. My wife counted 23 stings on my back alone. Got em between fingers, legs and arms too. Fortunately none on my head or face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Hobine, how tall are you? i have demoed a medium, i'm 5'7" and i'm planning to get a small. Nice bike you have! more picture please...thanks!

mtbr member

I'm between 5'7" - 5-8" and went with the small. No regrets here. I do run a long by today's standards 110mm stem. It came off my old bike as did many of the parts.
    Really love this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It looks great! I've done it and bought a small frame. Thanks Hobine. Now the hunt is on for a new fork - RS revelation 150 wc xx :-)

mtbr member

Good for you Kix! Make sure to get a couple d-hangers. They're delicate

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advise mate. where did u get your frame & D-hangers from?

mtbr member

Got the frame from WrenchScience.
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/mountai...rbine+SL/2013/

Had to order the D-Hangers directly from Intense, couldn't find them anywhere else.
    http://store.intensecycles.co/Produc...uctCode=130133

Very first ride I tweaked it but was able to straiten it. Yesterday's ride completely destroyed it. Glad I ordered two right after buying the frame.

Hopefully Wheels Manufacturing will come out with an aftermarket version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ordered mine from WS aswell, $70 for the postage though. How many days u have to wait for the delivery? does your frame comes with a ISCG mount?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kix12 View Post
    ordered mine from WS aswell, $70 for the postage though. How many days u have to wait for the delivery? does your frame comes with a ISCG mount?
    About a week and a half. Gave me some time to gather the few parts I needed.
    Shipping does seam expensive but all the retailers charge the same and WS had the best price and a good reputation. They package the frame very well.

Yes- my frame has the ISCG mount.