mtbr member

Spring rub, from M6 photo album

Here are some pics of my CCDB before I put the sleeve on that does nothing because it can't fit over the threads. The rubbing is a lot worse now after more use.

I am using a 400lb steel spring, it is 10.5 X 3.5 on my M6

My old 9.5X 3 CCBD that I used for 2 seasons with a 400lb or 450lb spring, no rub ever.

mtbr member
    so i will quote a bit
    maybe it will lead to sth.
    hey m6-ridinī guys...
    since i am a bit concerned about the sometimes heavy spring rub on the ccdb shock-body: could you (especially those who really use their bikes) please take a look on your 10.5" shock (no matter if its a ccdb or not) and report if thereīs some rub too or not?
    i would be so thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    No the sleeve can not cover the threads, I have it maybe a 1/2" up the threads but it was a pain in my ass to get on there. I heated up the sleeve in my toaster over for 5 minutes to get it on there that far.

I have talked with Malcom a few times about the rubbing, his straight forward answer was that the long spring needs to go somewhere when it compresses, so at times it will rub the shock body. He mentioned to me that they can replace the shock body for me this winter free of charge. NOTE: Free of charge means I pay for the rebuild and they put a free shock body on.

A friend of mine has a avy chubie on her M6, I can't really comment on the feel as I am about 70lbs heavier than her. I would consider using a avy, craig makes great stuff and he backs it up with anything you need.

I know some people are upset about the rubbing or have be turned off from the bike because of it butpersonally I do not care. Everything else about the bike is great and the rubbing is just cosmetic.
    this was also the answer i got. replacing the part free of charge but for someone like me: i have to send it to the states which cost a lot and takes its time
    considering the rub as just cosmetic? well it depends on the strength on the rub. in my case i would like to know at what point the body is so hardly damaged through the rub that it prevents me from using my bike...?

if i could switch to a bos stoy i will do so. if not i will keep the ccdb...

to those who obviously have the spring issue:
    are you accepting the rub issue without geeting "angry". especially with an eye on the extra charge. i had the rub also on the threads of the body shock. now, it seems that itīs only on the sleeve.
    since it does not seem a ti spring problem: it sems like there itīs more on the ccdb-problem than a revox issue..whats your opinion? is it because of the frameīs kinematics? never heard of foes (and their curnut shocks) and rub issue. it could also be because i never was really interested in foes. as i said before i am very satisified with the performance of the ccdb but the spring rub which seems to be extreme on this shock sucks. the sleeve also degrades the performance since the shock and the spring canīt move without rubbing each other. s
    orry for posting, but iīm kind of frustrated.
    returning the ccdb for a revox?
    returning the ccdb and try to get a stoy?
    donīt know..

i was not in contact with jeff. neither with malcom from cane creek. but my dealer did so. as far as i remember they had contact to both and managed all. therefor i am deeply grateful.
    i am now in contact with bos and a bos dealer to check the stoy. the bos mechanical of fabien pedemanaud emailed me that they did not had any spring rub problem yet.

increase the id of the spring or decrease the shockīs body for a new ccdb version would be a solution. also buidling a thing which keeps the spring in their position respectively in their distance to the the body. (full floating?! sicklines.com --> hydraulic spring perch 4 the concerned customers? )
    even if the m6 is one of the expensiver frames on the market for me it rides perfect: that aspect is only embittered by the fact of the tire rub (which was solved very fast!) and the ccdb ti spring rub issue.
    just to make myself clear: i do not regret my m6 purchase, but i would like to get this (hopefully last) rub issue definitely solved. in favour of the customer(s)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    keep beating that dead horse....

mtbr member
    iīm not beating it... trying to evolve make the product better than it is right now and thus perfect please see my postings concerning this issue as constructive criticism which could serve future customers...
    sad to see, that none of those responsible obviously even try to improve the product.(take the last part as a slight provocation)

mtbr member
    What about this hydraulic spring perch? Did anyone besides Sicklines use it? Does it solve the problem? Maybe Cane Creek should start supplying them with the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    What about this hydraulic spring perch? Did anyone besides Sicklines use it? Does it solve the problem? Maybe Cane Creek should start supplying them with the shock.
    I was wondering the same thing. That said, I am running 400 lb Ti on my M6's CCDB and have no rub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

no crap

Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00
    keep beating that dead horse....

The horse is getting straight mutilated!!

mtbr member
    I was told to heat the sleeve up and put some soap on it and twist in onto the threads.

What is up with the hydraulic dampner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr

What is up with the hydraulic dampner?
    It is a spring perch that is 100% flat so it reduces rub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    It is a spring perch that is 100% flat so it reduces rub.
    I just got this email from CC.

We don't make the Hydro spring perch. That was made by Hyper co., they made a pair for us to play with.My engineer sent a Perch over to Sick lines to look at. It helps align the piston shaft upon compression taking side loads off the shaft. Using a perch on top and bottom only make the spring rub worse since the perch floats. It was made for Motorsports applications where weight and cost don't matter as much.

I think they run about $175.00 ea. and weigh in at 6 to 8 oz ea. Not great for a bicycle.

Thanks,
    Malcolm
    Last edited by kntr; 11-19-2008 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    jim from obtainium oerfrmance products told me that using his spring plus one of this performance adapters would prevent rubbing

Our 350x3.0 will travel 3.5 inches. You do need an adapter to fit the Double Barrel shock. We will have the 1.420 Performance Adapters that do fit the DB but it's a tight fit and must be screwed on.

Thanks, Jim
    ??

concerning the spring perch i also had an answer like the one above from comp. cyclist.

I contacted Hyperco, and they put me in touch with the independent contractor they used for this project. I spoke with him directly. I explained to him the issue you're experiencing and here's what he had to say:

* The Spring Perch most certainly make the deflection issue worse due to the fact that it makes the shock run with less friction. The natural friction that exists in the shock actually works to minimize the deflection.
    *All springs deflect, but due to the "slenderness ratio" of the coil used in the case of the M6 and similar sized frames (regardless of shock manufacturer), this will "absolutely occur".
    *He suggested a sleeve for the shock body which I informed him you already had.
    *He went on to say the only potential solution he could foresee would be to utilize a barrel-type spring, which would increase the diameter (and naturally add plenty of additional weight).

In short, after speaking with Intense, Cane Creek, Hyperco, and this contractor (Richard Pare) that developed the spring perch, and researching the issue on the internet, I think this is specific to the size of the shock, and not the CCDB.

mtbr member
    hmmm. I wonder how Foes does it with the Curnutt. The Curnutt on the DHS is HUGE with a 5 inch stroke. They just need to use a spring with the correct inner diameter. Heck my King coilovers on my truck dont rub the shock body and they have a 14" stroke! Ya I know they are truck shocks.

Also, I talked with Craig at Avalanche today. The Chubie will fit the M6, but you can NOT run a ti spring. The diameter on the ti spring is a little bigger and will rub on the frame. He also said they only make one steel spring that will fit and its a 360lb spring. I may go this route. This whole spring rubbing issue of the CCDB is a bit much for me to take on such an expensive bike and shock.

Old school BMXer
    The reality is that CC took and existing product and lengthened it. Had the company done any testing, this problem would have been obvious and they could have made a correction. Virtually all coil springs move when they compress. CC could have done one of two things (or both): the spring ID could have been larger and used the appropriate sized end collars, or the shock body could have been made smaller.

CC didn't do their homework, and they didn't finish developing their product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been reading the threads about the rubbing on the CCDB, as I'm interested in both the M6 frame and the shock.
    Is it maybe possible to use shrink tubing to protect the body of the shock ?
    One could put it over the shock as far as possible and then shrink the tubing to fit the shock body. It would also be possible to use several layers of shrink tubing.
    In any case that should be easier than puuting on the CC sleeve.