mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Spider2 rear shock set up

I have a Spider2. Frame size is a small with 120mm fork. I presently have the rear set up for 120 to match the fork.

My Weight fluctuates between 175-180

I run anywhere between 180-200 lbs of Air in the shock
    With the rebound between 3-5 clicks out. Shock is a Fox RC

Fork is a Fox RLC with anywhere from 100-75 lbs of pressure

Tire pressure between 35-45

These settings all pending upon the trail and speed of the trail. Slower trails require less air pressure in the shock as well as the tire.

I pretty much ride the big ring most of the time

With that being said......

The issue is when I am hammering the back end seems to Kick up when going over logs or rocks (I guess I can describe it as Yamahop). I Notice that when I slow the rebound I experience packing up. I Futz around with all sorts of setting and just cant seem to get it right.

I have a couple of older tracers and the Suspension is incredible!
    The Handling is Phenominal. i am trying to capture that same ride on the spider.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is it topping out when rebounding? When did you have it rebuilt last?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hello
    i have a spider29 frame,
    size L,
    rear setup 120mm with a fox float ctd 120mm.
    I need advice for starting shox setup:
    weight 77 kg,
    intended trail use,
    how can I start?
    thank you very much....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry for the late reeponse. Definately not topping out. I had a bit of a hard time dialing in the rear. I have got it riding smoother but it still has a tendancy to kick as I described.
    Definately have to set it up different for slow and fast trails. If I use A single setting and I have to compromise.

Giando. I would start with a little above your weight as air pressure and then adjust you damping as needed. I had my rebound slow and found the back end packing up and then went too fast on the rebound. when it was too fast it was almost like riding a bucking bronco with the back end hoping everywhere and traction was limited. I am between 3 to 5 out on the rebound pending trail