mtbr member

Spider owners, please provide feedback on durability

Hi All, would appreciate some intel from current/former Spider 29 riders.

Years ago, I owned a 26" wheeled Spider. It was far and away the BEST handling bike I've ever ridden (ridden lots). Sprinting, climbing, steeps, techy stuff - you name it, I rode faster on that bike. One friend told me "you learned to ride fast on that bike". I loved it.

The only problem was that it kept breaking. In something like this order, I had to fix...

- broken pivot bolt,
    - seized lower pivot bearings,
    - broken pivot assembly to rear shock (the bushings)
    - another set of seized pivot bearings,
    - rear triangle (my fault, running too fat a tire wore a hole in the chainstay)
    - more pivot bearings (and I live in a dry state!?!)
    - finally a crack in the main triangle.

To be fair, Intense was awesome at helping me with replacement equipment and advice. Also, I realize I was riding a "race" bike pretty hard - no crazy hucking or anything, but lots of rocks where I live, and some 2 - 4 foot drops. So, I'm not blaming anyone. I just got tired of fixing it. One week of down time for every week of amazing riding. Full disclosure: this was the first version of the Spider and the VPP. I know they've gotten some things sorted out since then.

My question to those that have ridden the Spider 29 is, do you have any of these issues? I'm really interested in getting that same great handling in a bigger wheeled package, but not if it's as fragile as the earlier version.

By the way, I'm looking at the aluminum version. I weight about 175 with gear and go about 5'10", if it matters. I ride mostly in the Rocky Mountains. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Thanks,

E

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm happy to vouch for the durability of the current gen Spider 29 Alloy, my housemate owns one. FYI I'm a Carbine 275 rider but I've seen this S29 do plenty of 6'+ drops and I've personally sent this bike over a 15' gap with no problem at all. This thing just begs to be ridden hard. Get on board!

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Spider 29 alloy that I got in April 2013. Since then I've logged 115 hours in 66 rides over 640 miles. I've had zero durability issues related to the frame. T

he only problem(s) I've had are with the Fox rear shock, but no way do I attribute that to Intense.

I've never greased the pivots on the Spider. I recently learned that they should be greased every 5-6 rides. Yet, with that in mind the suspension feels totally fine. It only just recently started to creak. That should count for something.

I love the piss out of this bike. Its crazy.

I'm the exact specs as you: 175 lbs w/pack, 5'10", ride the Rockies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmarg View Post
    I have a 2012 Spider 29 alloy that I got in April 2013. Since then I've logged 115 hours in 66 rides over 640 miles. I've had zero durability issues related to the frame. T

he only problem(s) I've had are with the Fox rear shock, but no way do I attribute that to Intense.

I've never greased the pivots on the Spider. I recently learned that they should be greased every 5-6 rides. Yet, with that in mind the suspension feels totally fine. It only just recently started to creak. That should count for something.

I love the piss out of this bike. Its crazy.

I'm the exact specs as you: 175 lbs w/pack, 5'10", ride the Rockies.
    Thanks, rsmarg. I never followed up to my original post, but I did indeed get an alloy Spider about the same time you did. And, like you, I love the piss out of the bike - same amazing handling as the 26" wheeled Spider but even faster. And, I've had no durability issues either. Stoked to be back in the tribe.

Now, my only problem is my buddy at the local Intense dealership keeps sending me pictures of the Spider Comp's he's building up (including build weight).

Thanks for the reply,

E