mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Spider Comp as XC race bike?

Hi all. I'm new here, but I'm considering a Spider Comp and I was hoping to get some opinions from those with experience. I'm thinking of building the bike for XC racing (and of course long fun "training" rides over all sorts of terrain.)

Most of the race courses I enjoy are in Quebec Canada where the terrain is very rocky. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the Spider Comp will gobble up this kind of terrain, however most marathon races here have some extended fire road sections between the gnar bits and regular XC races tend to climb ski hills to get to the rocky descents. So I want the bike to be light and efficient as well.

So, some questions:

- Can anybody share their XC race build?

- How is the bike with a 120mm fork? I have a SID 120 that would be a key part of getting the build down around 25lbs. I'm concerned that the bike seems to be known for it's low BB height -- would a 120mm fork lower it too much?

I currently ride a Niner Jet9RDO. It's a very efficient pedaling bike but I've always felt it's geometry was a little "off." Even with a 100mm fork the front end is high and I'm right in between sizes... It's nearing the end of it's life anyway and the Spider Comp has caught my eye.

Maybe I'm trying to put a square peg in a round hole here by trying to turn a fun ripper of a bike into a torture machine, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions before looking to a different frame.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I love the bike. It's very very fast with the fork down to 120, and taller and more composed at 140. How about you look for a fork that can be easily adjusted between travel settings. I have a marzocchi 44 which is very easy to switch down to 120 when I race. That fork blows hard and I want to end it, but that's an example. I am planning on a formula 35 with easy travel change and very light weight when I can afford it.

Spider comp fork choice is just about the most complicated question out there. Easy answer would probably be a 51mm offset 120 float or revelation and take the added stability vice committing to a full trail fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for your input. So you don't find the BB too low with the fork set at 120mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi.
    I have a spider comp. with fox talas 34 on the front. The 140 setting is great bombing down stuff and 120 is great for climbing twisty tracks.
    I built mine up for cross country/ trail riding. I went for a full xt group set, rockshox stealth dropper post, maxis crossmax rims. It came in at 12.3 kg or 27.1 pounds. I found I needed to put flat bars and a low stem to stop the front popping on climbs. But biggest problem was the rear shock which I have just replaced with a Cane creek dbinline. The rear fox shock wasn't up to the task and blew through its travel far to easily, and pedal bob was horrendous to the point of being up unrideable, a friend bought a spider comp about a month before me and had the same issues. Only differences between our bikes was he had a 140 revolution fork on his.
    I hope this helps. I also have an Intense Hard Eddie, if you want an awesome Xc bike it's hard to beat the Eddie. As for my local trails I am in Cairns North Queensland Australia. Same trails the Worlds were held on this year.