Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Spider comp questions

I went to a LBS that sells intense bikes to look at a spider comp. they did not have any but the sales person said they do not recommend them because there suspension bolts are always backing out and he has heard of many frame issues. I have been reading a lot about these and have not heard that but thought I would ask to see. For the record he then wanted to sell me a specialized camber comp carbon which he did have in stock and told me a hundred reasons why it was better.

Pirate!!!
    They are just trying to ditch their specialized inventory because the Evil S is going out of business.. I love my Spider Comp! No issues with pivot bolts.

deez nuts
    Yup, another slimy salesman trying to sell you what he had in stock.

One full season on my Comp and zero issues. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Switch shops. My LBS is a Giant dealer and they're always talking sh!t about my T2, so they are no longer my LBS.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't drink the Specialized Kool-Aid. The Intense rides awesome....makes the Specialized look like a heavy, high-maintenance hoe.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not one bolt has loosened on my Spider Comp and I ride the crap out of it. I properly retorqued (using a torque wrench) and applied loctite to it half way through the season like I do on all my FS bikes. The bike is flawless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I understand sell what is on the floor not what you have to order I was just surprised that a dealer of the brand would bash it to sell another bike. He also told me how this is an issue with Santa Cruz bikes. I am no expert but I would imagine that given the way bikes are ridden it would be wise to check the bolts once in a while as they could loosen.

The shop is highly regarded in the area I guess they just need to move there stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Im not a big Specialized fan but you are making a BOLD statement here. Where did you hear that the Big S is going out of business?

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    Im not a big Specialized fan but you are making a BOLD statement here. Where did you hear that the Big S is going out of business?
    I'm just talking sh!t because of their latest shenanigans. They aren't really going out of business, as long as the brain dead masses still what to take up mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have nothing at any company but wanted to verify that people were not having all the suspension bolts backing out on a daily basis. I also would like to know how you all like your bikes. I am a one bike person and this would be a very expensive bike to me. I think it would be good for what I do but would like to know how you all think it rides, climbs and so on.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Chicks dig men on Spider Comps. Might be hard to deal with the onslaught...
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You sir are a salesman. I am in that was all I needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had the upper link bolts on my Tracer 29er back out several times. Once I got loctite on all four, I was good to go.

I have 2500 miles on my spider comp with ZERO issues. My ATF bike so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That makes sense it seems like loctite would be a normal thing to put on all the bolts. Thanks for the feed back.

Pirate!!!

Spider comp questions

I had the same experience with bolts backing out on my Tracer29, amongst other issues. The Spider Comp is a whole different breed. It's lighter, slacker, shorter, more reliable and more playful than the T29 could ever dream.
    This thread needs at least one picture.

Even if it's a crappy one.

mtbr member

Don't set and forget

Have a Spider 29. While it's a different bike, the pivots are the same. I took mine on an inaugural trip that involved lots of tech riding. Came home missing one bolt. My LBS replaced it on warranty, applied Loctite, torqued it to spec and no problems ever since. My bad for not checking it.

As several have said, Loctite, torqued to spec, checked from time to time and I bet you'll have no issues. Awesome ride, btw! You won't be sorry,

E

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That seems reasonable to me. I would think you should check them every so often.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the feed back.

What made you choose the spider comp over a different bike? What other bikes did you look at. I think I am deciding between this and a Pivot Mach 429.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacuslv View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back.

What made you choose the spider comp over a different bike? What other bikes did you look at. I think I am deciding between this and a Pivot Mach 429.
    I don't think the Pivot and Intense are very comparable. The Pivot is more XC side of the spectrum and the Spider is firmly in the Trail category. I think you need to ride them both to see what type of bike you are looking for. The Intense is more directly comparable to an SB-95, Rip-9 RDO, Tallboy LTC, Stumpjumper etc.

deez nuts
    Agree with Smithrider.
    The Comp fits more into the "trail" category but..I race it XC as it really firms up with the lever. It pedals great, is relatively slack and straight up, kicks ass. Great all-round'r.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I don't think the Pivot and Intense are very comparable. The Pivot is more XC side of the spectrum and the Spider is firmly in the Trail category. I think you need to ride them both to see what type of bike you are looking for. The Intense is more directly comparable to an SB-95, Rip-9 RDO, Tallboy LTC, Stumpjumper etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Agree with Smithrider.
    The Comp fits more into the "trail" category but..I race it XC as it really firms up with the lever. It pedals great, is relatively slack and straight up, kicks ass. Great all-round'r.
    after only 2 rides on my new Spider i feel exactly the same....

a very versatile allrounder! I love it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice shots! You summed it up well in that it is an allrounder. It works for 90% of my riding. I have a Yeti Big Top and an Uzzi for when I need more on either end of the spectrum, which is rare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think that is what I am looking for a good all rounder. I ride mostly xc but can get into some trail type rides. Would you say that the pivot would not be good in that area? From what I have read it seems like the spider comp is geared toward xc/trail. The pivot is more xc but really good at it from everything I can read.

I cannot find any bikes to try out. There are dealers in my city but they do not carry any bike they will order for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think you ummed it up well Spartacuslv. The Pivot is more XC that can do trail. Spider is more trail that can do XC. Only you can figure out what you value more. Both companies make sterling bikes. I rode a Firebird in Moab for a weekend and loved every minute of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacuslv View Post
    Yeah I understand sell what is on the floor not what you have to order I was just surprised that a dealer of the brand would bash it to sell another bike. He also told me how this is an issue with Santa Cruz bikes. I am no expert but I would imagine that given the way bikes are ridden it would be wise to check the bolts once in a while as they could loosen.

The shop is highly regarded in the area I guess they just need to move there stock.

Switch shops.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast