Spider Comp Photo Thread

Printable View

  • 02-02-2013
    smithrider
    1 Attachment(s)
    Spider Comp Photo Thread
    Attachment 767530

    I figured it was about time to start an official Spider Comp picture thread. Here is mine to start it off. No trail time yet but feels like it is going to rip on the downhills based on the pavement tests. Thanks to Jaydn at Fanatik for hooking me up with this sweet build. I highly recommend Jaydn or Dave at Redstone if you are looking to get one.

    Large
    Fox 34 Float 130mm
    Enve AM/DT Swiss 350/Aerolite
    XT Shifters/Derailleurs/Brakes/Cassette/Chain/Pedals
    XO 22/36 Crank
    Race Face Turbine 70mm stem
    Race Face Next Flat Wide bar
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Reverb post (non stealth)
    WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
    ODI Ruffian Grips
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 TS Front/Spec Purgatory 2.3 rear tires (2.35 Schwalbes are a tight fit in the rear due to height, plenty of room with the specie)
  • 02-02-2013
    ANDREW WHITE
    Nice beauty!. Jadyn at Fanatik Bike is a great seller, this guy knows a lot of mtb!
  • 02-04-2013
    mbernard71
    Nice build, you will love it. It rolls the chunk so smooth.

    question..I was going to go with XO instead of XTR but I was told that XO double hits the chainstay so I ended up going with XTR. How close is yours? One tooth of my outer ring hits when I not in sag.
  • 02-04-2013
    smithrider
    I have plenty of room with the XO crank and chainstay. With that said, I am running the 22/36 gearing on it. The 28/42 might hit but I have no intention of running that high of gearing on a 29er with the uphill slogs we have here in CO. I intentionally did not go with Shimano so I could get the lower 2x10 gearing.
  • 02-22-2013
    stejam
    1 Attachment(s)
    I have to say I have had many bikes but this bike rips so much more than all the others!!!
  • 02-22-2013
    ANDREW WHITE
    Nice ride!. How many chainring has the crankset?.
  • 02-22-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ANDREW WHITE View Post
    Nice ride!. How many chainring has the crankset?.

    Hi just the one a 32 T
  • 02-22-2013
    ANDREW WHITE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Hi just the one a 32 T

    Thanks. I will put a XX1 on my newest Uzzi but I donīt know if for an enduro use 32t is to hard to move!
  • 02-22-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ANDREW WHITE View Post
    Thanks. I will put a XX1 on my newest Uzzi but I donīt know if for an enduro use 32t is to hard to move!

    I think it should be fine im finding the opposite I do not have enough top end speed when flat out
  • 02-23-2013
    holiday
    OK,
    I was about to buy one of these, based on demos, then rode another 1 more time, and was bugged by a noise that i thought was from the internal cables, shaking inside the tube.
    since these are sweet looking rides, all well built, how is the cable routing working for you?
    solid, quiet? or a bit loose and rattley?
    thx,
    Holiday
  • 02-23-2013
    smithrider
    I haven't noticed it but I haven't really ridden it over any rough trails yet as everything in co is snowed over. I am sure I can wrap the cable in thin foam wrap or use some heavy grease if I end up hearing some rattles.
  • 02-23-2013
    Salespunk
    You will be fine on XX1 with a 32. I am running a 38 for Enduro racing without issues.
  • 02-24-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    OK,
    I was about to buy one of these, based on demos, then rode another 1 more time, and was bugged by a noise that i thought was from the internal cables, shaking inside the tube.
    since these are sweet looking rides, all well built, how is the cable routing working for you?
    solid, quiet? or a bit loose and rattley?
    thx,
    Holiday

    I dont have any cable rattle because intense have been good in using a carbon inserted tubes with a inside diameter not much bigger than the outer cable or hose.

    My road bike suffers from what you describe because the cables are lose within the main frame tubing.
  • 02-24-2013
    Salespunk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I have to say I have many bikes but this bike rips so much more that all the others!!!

    Are those 158 or 168 Q cranks? Will both work?
  • 02-24-2013
    Just J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I have to say I have many bikes but this bike rips so much more that all the others!!!

    Lovely bike!

    Whats it weighing in at please?
  • 02-24-2013
    Colin+M
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I dont have any cable rattle because intense have been good in using a carbon inserted tubes with a inside diameter not much bigger than the outer cable or hose.

    My road bike suffers from what you describe because the cables are lose within the main frame tubing.

    Beautiful bike, what size is it and how tall are you?

    Thanks.
  • 02-24-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Lovely bike!

    Whats it weighing in at please?

    Thanks
    The bike is weighing in at 26.10 lbs
  • 02-24-2013
    Just J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Thanks
    The bike is weighing in at 26.10 lbs

    Thanks, good weight!
  • 02-25-2013
    holiday
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I dont have any cable rattle because intense have been good in using a carbon inserted tubes with a inside diameter not much bigger than the outer cable or hose.

    My road bike suffers from what you describe because the cables are lose within the main frame tubing.

    Good news. I thought they had just put the cable through the tube, but it has a tube. in there to control the movement.

    thx,
    holiday
  • 03-26-2013
    adam199999


    Just built this up last week. First ride Saturday and its a beauty!
  • 03-26-2013
    stejam
    Nice.... the small looks so different, it looks long because of the difference in the top tube but obviously its not

    Come keep the posting!!!
  • 03-26-2013
    rakerdeal
    Had my Stumpjumper ht stuff transferred over to the Intense 29 Spider Comp. Fork is 100, wheels Am Classic Tubeless, all XT andvthe bike is sweet. 25lbs 4oz. Eggbeater SL pedals.
  • 03-28-2013
    mr_fish
    Be interested in build spec? Especially handlebar and stem specs please :-)
  • 03-28-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I have to say I have had many bikes but this bike rips so much more than all the others!!!

    Absolutely stunning, gotta have one!

    Could you post the build list please?

    Thanks
  • 03-28-2013
    muggel
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 785302

    Large
    Revelation
    POP/Sapim Xray/ carbon AM rims
    XX1
    Hansdampfs 2,35
    26.89lbs all complete
  • 03-28-2013
    Colin+M
    beautiful bike. Intense nailed this one, currently loving mine.
  • 03-28-2013
    danglingmanhood
    Those are beautiful bikes guys!
  • 03-29-2013
    mr_fish
    Just ordered a Large for a build I'm 6' with long reach, could do with some advice on stem and handlebars as I want the shortest stem length I can get away with.

    So what are you lucky spider comp owners using? Flat or riser bars? What width and sweep?

    What length and angle stem are people using?

    I'm thinking of this Mcfk bar

    and this stem in 60mm

    Thoughts?

    Thanks in advance
  • 03-29-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mr_fish View Post
    Absolutely stunning, gotta have one!

    Could you post the build list please?

    Thanks

    Fox 34 TALAS 140mm Forks
    XX1 Group set
    Mavic ST 29 Wheels
    Reverb Stelth Seat post
    Fizik Gobi XM Seat
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    XTR Trail Brakes
    Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm Bars
    XTR Trail Peddles
    schwalbe nobby nic tyres tubeless
    Crisk King Head set
  • 03-29-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Fox 34 TALAS 140mm Forks
    XX1 Group set
    Mavic ST 29 Wheels
    Reverb Stelth Seat post
    Fizik Gobi XM Seat
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    XTR Trail Brakes
    Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm Bars
    XTR Trail Peddles
    schwalbe nobby nic tyres tubeless
    Crisk King Head set

    Thanks stejam,

    I'm trying to decide between Formula R1 and XTR trail brakes, how do you find the XTR's?

    How tall are you? I'm trying to work out what stem length I need!

    Am I right in saying the rear brake line is externally routed? Could it be internally routed at all?

    Thanks
  • 03-29-2013
    stejam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mr_fish View Post
    Thanks stejam,

    I'm trying to decide between Formula R1 and XTR trail brakes, how do you find the XTR's?

    How tall are you? I'm trying to work out what stem length I need!

    Am I right in saying the rear brake line is externally routed? Could it be internally routed at all?

    Thanks

    Ive had both sets of brakes and I would go with XTR ever time.... the R1 are under powered and have no modulation to them and they fell just on or off! The XTR are unreal so much power and the control is modulated, I also now use the new style Shimano brakes on my DH bike, the only bad thing is that they pull back to much before biting but this is good for them never rubbing even when they get full of mud.

    Im 5' 10" and I normally like a short top tube and I feel the 70 is perfect for me, i tried a 50 a few weeks a go but didnt like it to much for climbing.

    The rear brake is internally routed through the front end of the frame but the external on the rear
  • 03-29-2013
    smithrider
    I am 6'1 with avg reach (longer torso but avg arms). I have the new Race Face next flat wide bar on mine. In reality, I believe it is a 1/4 inch degree rise and 8 degree sweep. Its a 720mm width. My stem is a 70mm, 6 degree rise. Feels pretty good but will probably swap it for a 60mm this summer. Not sure yet.
  • 03-29-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Ive had both sets of brakes and I would go with XTR ever time.... the R1 are under powered and have no modulation to them and they fell just on or off! The XTR are unreal so much power and the control is modulated, I also now use the new style Shimano brakes on my DH bike, the only bad thing is that they pull back to much before biting but this is good for them never rubbing even when they get full of mud.



    Im 5' 10" and I normally like a short top tube and I feel the 70 is perfect for me, i tried a 50 a few weeks a go but didnt like it to much for climbing.

    The rear brake is internally routed through the front end of the frame but the external on the rear

    XTR Trails it is then! To be honest I only like the Formula's for the looks, not the best reason for choosing a set of stoppers :D

    I tried out a Large SA Tallboy LTc which fitted me nicely, but the Spider has a slightly longer top tube according to the geometry spec sheets. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
  • 03-29-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I am 6'1 with avg reach (longer torso but avg arms). I have the new Race Face next flat wide bar on mine. In reality, I believe it is a 1/4 inch degree rise and 8 degree sweep. Its a 720mm width. My stem is a 70mm, 6 degree rise. Feels pretty good but will probably swap it for a 60mm this summer. Not sure yet.

    Thanks for the info smithrider.

    I'd be interested to hear from people who have rode both the Spider 29 Comp and the Tallboy LTc as it was the LTc all the way for me until I laid eyes on a Spider frame on the wall of my LBS. Not ridden the Spider yet, waiting for them to build it up before I can demo it. As the Spider has a slightly longer top tube than the LTc I was considering getting a Med Spider.
  • 03-31-2013
    snipes1
    Im 5 11ish ordered a large, will that work with a 50mm tem
  • 03-31-2013
    Worm0898
    Bikes look sweet! I have a quick and possibly odd question but are the decals on the top tube under clear coat or can you remove them?
  • 03-31-2013
    TheSchwagman
    Under clear.
  • 03-31-2013
    muggel
    Jep this is the only thing on the Intense I do not like so much - the decals. Too many too big and no other choice.. however having a dream of a ride I can live with that - would love to see custom painting - or just a boring matte black white theme..
  • 03-31-2013
    Worm0898
    Yeah that is the only thing I am not taken by on this frame. For me if you are spending this much I want a custom paint option Intense, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis take note! :-)
  • 03-31-2013
    snipes1
    Mr fish did u get a large or med being that ur 6ft
  • 03-31-2013
    snipes1
    So I think I'm gonna sale the large I just bought and get a medium any one interested 2300 and uninstalled headset
  • 03-31-2013
    confused
    How about some ride reports/comparisons on this bike, not much info out there yet!
  • 04-01-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Jep this is the only thing on the Intense I do not like so much - the decals. Too many too big and no other choice.. however having a dream of a ride I can live with that - would love to see custom painting - or just a boring matte black white theme..

    +1 for boring matte black instead of too many gaudy gold graphics! Although didn't stop me from ordering one!!
  • 04-01-2013
    mr_fish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snipes1 View Post
    Mr fish did u get a large or med being that ur 6ft

    ordered a Large in the end, not arrived yet though so don't know how well it fits!
  • 04-02-2013
    squealer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mr_fish View Post
    Be interested in build spec? Especially handlebar and stem specs please :-)

    My build:



    1 x 10 Xtr Group (with shadow + XT rear mech because that's what i already had)
    Hope press fit BB
    RS Sid XX 120mm solo air
    Roval Control SL carbon wheels, 15mm front, 142 rear
    100mm Reverb
    Fizik Gobi
    Ritchey C260 stem 60mm
    Crank bros cobalt 11 720mm carbon bar
    Xtr M985 race brakes
    XTR pedals
    nobby nic 2.25
    KMC SL gold chain
    Hope headset


    Weighed at my local shop at 26.1lbs with pedals and tubes in the tyres.
  • 04-25-2013
    stejam
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Wheels

    Attachment 793808
  • 04-28-2013
    Ethan F
    1 Attachment(s)
    Had to post review!
    Not one to post reviews of bikes, but this one is just to damn fun.
    Had the SCTBLTc in medium, just too big for me at 5'6". This is a small and not only does it fit better, but rides circles around it!
    It's a all about geometry! this bikes is superior in corners and switchbacks as well as all around a far easier bike to handle. The 17.5 chainstays and 67d H/A make it able to do anything you throw at it.
    The key is not to use the Fox 140, go X-Fusion Trance all the way. It has a 15mm shorter axle to crown measurement compared to the Fox still at 140mm travel. This sets the bike up to perfection and not Fox!
    Same on the Rear, the RS Monarch Plus greatly help the tunability, while the piggyback version does eliminate the h20 btl, going the standard Monarch and will be the way to go.
    I'm not a big fan of the VPP, but this big had less pedal feedback than the SCLT, very noticeable to me. Just a really fun, doesn't feel like big wheels, bike!
    Small Spider
    X-Fusion Trace 140mm (soon to be black)
    RS Monarch Plus
    Enve Am
    Sram XO trail
    WTB Weir-wolves 2.3 (new version)
    Bionicon C-Guide (do not do Sram Type 2, it will knock from chain pull)
    About 27.5lb but who's counting!
  • 04-28-2013
    smithrider
    Good looking bike Ethan. I hear ya on keeping the axle to crown height in check on the fork. I went the route of getting a fox 34 float and lowering it to 130mm to accomplish something similiar to yours. However, I think the one advantage the 34 has right now over other 29er forks is the 51mm offset which really helps the handling on slacker 29ers. I may be off 10mm in travel, but it has a lower axle to crown height and a good offset.

    Enjoy the ride! Looks great.
  • 05-01-2013
    stejam
    The 17.5 chainstays and 67d H/A make it able to do anything you throw at it.
    The key is not to use the Fox 140, go X-Fusion Trance all the way. It has a 15mm shorter axle to crown measurement compared to the Fox still at 140mm travel.

    If your using a standard 140 travel for not a fox 34 then your head angle won't be 67 deg more like 68 deg
  • 06-06-2013
    JDaugherty
    1 Attachment(s)
    Finally got my new frame after a 9 week wait.

    Attachment 805838