Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spider Comp Photo Thread

18K views 80 replies 30 participants last post by  biketavioumaximus 
#1 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

I figured it was about time to start an official Spider Comp picture thread. Here is mine to start it off. No trail time yet but feels like it is going to rip on the downhills based on the pavement tests. Thanks to Jaydn at Fanatik for hooking me up with this sweet build. I highly recommend Jaydn or Dave at Redstone if you are looking to get one.

Large
Fox 34 Float 130mm
Enve AM/DT Swiss 350/Aerolite
XT Shifters/Derailleurs/Brakes/Cassette/Chain/Pedals
XO 22/36 Crank
Race Face Turbine 70mm stem
Race Face Next Flat Wide bar
Cane Creek 110 headset
Reverb post (non stealth)
WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
ODI Ruffian Grips
Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 TS Front/Spec Purgatory 2.3 rear tires (2.35 Schwalbes are a tight fit in the rear due to height, plenty of room with the specie)

See less See more
#4 ·
I have plenty of room with the XO crank and chainstay. With that said, I am running the 22/36 gearing on it. The 28/42 might hit but I have no intention of running that high of gearing on a 29er with the uphill slogs we have here in CO. I intentionally did not go with Shimano so I could get the lower 2x10 gearing.

#10 ·
OK,
I was about to buy one of these, based on demos, then rode another 1 more time, and was bugged by a noise that i thought was from the internal cables, shaking inside the tube.
since these are sweet looking rides, all well built, how is the cable routing working for you?
solid, quiet? or a bit loose and rattley?
thx,
Holiday

#13 ·
I dont have any cable rattle because intense have been good in using a carbon inserted tubes with a inside diameter not much bigger than the outer cable or hose.

My road bike suffers from what you describe because the cables are lose within the main frame tubing.

#45 ·
My build:

1 x 10 Xtr Group (with shadow + XT rear mech because that's what i already had)
Hope press fit BB
RS Sid XX 120mm solo air
Roval Control SL carbon wheels, 15mm front, 142 rear
100mm Reverb
Fizik Gobi
Ritchey C260 stem 60mm
Crank bros cobalt 11 720mm carbon bar
Xtr M985 race brakes
XTR pedals
nobby nic 2.25
KMC SL gold chain
Hope headset

Weighed at my local shop at 26.1lbs with pedals and tubes in the tyres.

#28 ·
Just ordered a Large for a build I'm 6' with long reach, could do with some advice on stem and handlebars as I want the shortest stem length I can get away with.

So what are you lucky spider comp owners using? Flat or riser bars? What width and sweep?

What length and angle stem are people using?

I'm thinking of this Mcfk bar

and this stem in 60mm

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

#32 ·
I am 6'1 with avg reach (longer torso but avg arms). I have the new Race Face next flat wide bar on mine. In reality, I believe it is a 1/4 inch degree rise and 8 degree sweep. Its a 720mm width. My stem is a 70mm, 6 degree rise. Feels pretty good but will probably swap it for a 60mm this summer. Not sure yet.

#34 ·
Thanks for the info smithrider.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have rode both the Spider 29 Comp and the Tallboy LTc as it was the LTc all the way for me until I laid eyes on a Spider frame on the wall of my LBS. Not ridden the Spider yet, waiting for them to build it up before I can demo it. As the Spider has a slightly longer top tube than the LTc I was considering getting a Med Spider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.