Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member

my ne spidey

Spider Comp Photo Thread-spidey.jpg
    My new spidey, xx1, fox float lowered to 125, enve am tune king kong, thomson, reverb stealth, fizik goby xm braided, hope race, bontrager xr2. 25,55 lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My new Spider

Just got my new Intense Spider Comp last week, got two rides and love it!

Intense Spider Comp Large with Gold Links and Drop Outs
    XX1
    2014 Fox 34 140mm Fork
    Formula T1 Brakes
    I9 24 Spoke Torch Wheels
    Schwalbe Hams Dampf and Nobby Nic Tires
    Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper Post
    All the gold parts we could find!
    27llbs

Spider Comp Photo Thread-img_5011.jpgSpider Comp Photo Thread-img_5013.jpgSpider Comp Photo Thread-img_5014.jpgSpider Comp Photo Thread-img_5015.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Two great looking bikes! Still loving mine. My Uzzi and Big Top seem to be collecting dust these days.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Two great looking bikes! Still loving mine. My Uzzi and Big Top seem to be collecting dust these days.
    Any long term ride reports? Your previous review was quite nice.

mtbr member
    Have tons of rides, just a couple notes: check rear upper linkage bolts, mine loosened up several times before i nipped with new blue locktite. Watch for the Hans Dampf ripping rocks in the bottom chain stay lug! And i have found for a 140lb rider a super low compression shock to work best, IMO! But damn fun bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Another one....

Thought I'd throw my 10 pence in.....

Spider Comp Photo Thread-dsc02929a.jpg

Fork: Fox Talas 34 140mm
    Wheels - Front: Chinese Carbon with Hope EVO Hubs
    - Rear: ZTR Crest & Tune Kong
    Groupset:XX1
    Bars & Stem: Thomson
    Seat Post: Reverb Stealth
    Saddle: Mcfk Carbon
    Brakes: XTR Trail
    BB: Hope
    Headset: Chris King

Weight: 11.3kg - 24.9lb (in lightest trim i.e. ZTR & Tune wheelset F&R)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Any long term ride reports? Your previous review was quite nice.
    My opinion really hasn't changed. Fortunately, I haven't had the linkage loosening Ethan reference below or any serious issues with the frame. I do have a few scratches on it that have made me pucker, but I think its just getting comfortable with the damage a carbon frame can bear - more of a personal issue than anything.

I had the occassion to spin a Niner again a few weekends ago and the contrast between how the bikes handle is quite pronounced. This Spider really does do a fine job of combing more of an aggressive 26 inch bike feel with the 29er rollover benefits. This thing jumps, wheelies and flies down the mountain with the best of them. The three compromises on this frame are 1) you do have to muscle it around tighter corners (its not too bad though and actually find it engaging and enjoyable to a certain extent), 2) manualing has gotten better as I have adapted but it still isn't as intuitive as a short chain stay 26er and 3) it isn't going to handle big drops given its limited travel, but that isn't really what it is designed for.

It is a heck of a fun and fast bike and one I will be holding onto for the next four years or so. I highly recommend it as long as you don't need to huck it off huge drops or are on the shorter end of the spectrum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    Watch for the Hans Dampf ripping rocks in the bottom chain stay lug!
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is the bottom chain stay lug? I want to make sure I keep an eye on it, whatever it is. Thanks!
    Last edited by smithrider; 06-18-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Pirate!!!
    Thanks for that smithrider, I should have mine built up by the first of next week. I'm really looking forward to it. Coming from a Tracer29, should be an interesting comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    Just got my new Intense Spider Comp last week, got two rides and love it!

Intense Spider Comp Large with Gold Links and Drop Outs
    XX1
    2014 Fox 34 140mm Fork
    Formula T1 Brakes
    I9 24 Spoke Torch Wheels
    Schwalbe Hams Dampf and Nobby Nic Tires
    Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper Post
    All the gold parts we could find!
    27llbs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	808881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5013.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	808882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5014.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	808883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	808884
    I had a black and gold v10 and never really fell in love with the looks. But, man your bike look sweet. Very PIMP!
    After reading smithriders review and now seeing your bike really makes me want one more.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    My opinion really hasn't changed. Fortunately, I haven't had the linkage loosening Ethan reference below or any serious issues with the frame. I do have a few scratches on it that have made me pucker, but I think its just getting comfortable with the damage a carbon frame can bear - more of a personal issue than anything.

I had the occassion to spin a Niner again a few weekends ago and the contrast between how the bikes handle is quite pronounced. This Spider really does do a fine job of combing more of an aggressive 26 inch bike feel with the 29er rollover benefits. This thing jumps, wheelies and flies down the mountain with the best of them. The three compromises on this frame are 1) you do have to muscle it around tighter corners (its not too bad though and actually find it engaging and enjoyable to a certain extent), 2) manualing has gotten better as I have adapted but it still isn't as intuitive as a short chain stay 26er and 3) it isn't going to handle big drops given its limited travel, but that isn't really what it is designed for.

It is a heck of a fun and fast bike and one I will be holding onto for the next four years or so. I highly recommend it as long as you don't need to huck it off huge drops or are on the shorter end of the spectrum.
    Got any pics of the damage?
    My wife on her 2nd ride of her new carbine put three or four digs in the chain stay, I have to stop looking at it, it's making me sick to my stomach.
    I'm glad I'm not riding it.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    My wife on her 2nd ride of her new carbine put three or four digs in the chain stay, I have to stop looking at it, it's making me sick to my stomach.
    Here are two pictures for you. I have more. The only thing that made my stomach turn was there is no reason for these areas to be scratched to my recolection (ie no crashes, no improper transport, hard rock strikes yet on downtube etc). I took it to my LBS and they tapped all around on it (scientific, right?) and said its good. It was in my head for a moment or two but all's good now. I have not really heard any Intense carbon breakage stories. They seem to have done very well so far.

That said, I have added a heavy dose of helicopter tape to the downtube for further protection against any rock strikes.

Intense has been fantastic with customer service in the past so I have no worries there either incase something ever does go wrong. All's well and I am a happy Spider ownerSpider Comp Photo Thread-photo-1.jpg!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Spider Comp Photo Thread-photo-2.jpg

Pirate!!!

Spider Comp Photo Thread

Good job Intense!
    I transferred most the parts from my Tracer29. I've only put two rides on it, and I'm impressed! I'll elaborate more once I've put a little more time in the saddle. Spider Comp Photo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372490916.536820.jpgSpider Comp Photo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372490954.949409.jpg

mtbr member
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is the bottom chain stay lug? I want to make sure I keep an eye on it, whatever it is. Thanks!
    Me too!
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

Pirate!!!

Spider Comp Photo Thread

Don't know if this helps, but here's a picture of that area.. Sexy curves eh
    Spider Comp Photo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372670194.764552.jpg
    Spider Comp Photo Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372670238.447465.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    besides the nice setup of all spider comp posted, those owners of a very nice bike, what they can told us about riding feelings? climbing, descent, drops, pedal bob, cornering. i'm very interested in this bike!!

Pirate!!!
    Smithrider did a great review, here. Spider Comp Review

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3