Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    beautiful bike. Intense nailed this one, currently loving mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Those are beautiful bikes guys!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just ordered a Large for a build I'm 6' with long reach, could do with some advice on stem and handlebars as I want the shortest stem length I can get away with.

So what are you lucky spider comp owners using? Flat or riser bars? What width and sweep?

What length and angle stem are people using?

I'm thinking of this Mcfk bar

and this stem in 60mm

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_fish View Post
    Absolutely stunning, gotta have one!

Could you post the build list please?

Thanks
    Fox 34 TALAS 140mm Forks
    XX1 Group set
    Mavic ST 29 Wheels
    Reverb Stelth Seat post
    Fizik Gobi XM Seat
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    XTR Trail Brakes
    Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm Bars
    XTR Trail Peddles
    schwalbe nobby nic tyres tubeless
    Crisk King Head set

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Fox 34 TALAS 140mm Forks
    XX1 Group set
    Mavic ST 29 Wheels
    Reverb Stelth Seat post
    Fizik Gobi XM Seat
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    XTR Trail Brakes
    Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm Bars
    XTR Trail Peddles
    schwalbe nobby nic tyres tubeless
    Crisk King Head set
    Thanks stejam,

I'm trying to decide between Formula R1 and XTR trail brakes, how do you find the XTR's?

How tall are you? I'm trying to work out what stem length I need!

Am I right in saying the rear brake line is externally routed? Could it be internally routed at all?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks stejam,

I'm trying to decide between Formula R1 and XTR trail brakes, how do you find the XTR's?

How tall are you? I'm trying to work out what stem length I need!

Am I right in saying the rear brake line is externally routed? Could it be internally routed at all?

Thanks
    Ive had both sets of brakes and I would go with XTR ever time.... the R1 are under powered and have no modulation to them and they fell just on or off! The XTR are unreal so much power and the control is modulated, I also now use the new style Shimano brakes on my DH bike, the only bad thing is that they pull back to much before biting but this is good for them never rubbing even when they get full of mud.

Im 5' 10" and I normally like a short top tube and I feel the 70 is perfect for me, i tried a 50 a few weeks a go but didnt like it to much for climbing.

The rear brake is internally routed through the front end of the frame but the external on the rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 6'1 with avg reach (longer torso but avg arms). I have the new Race Face next flat wide bar on mine. In reality, I believe it is a 1/4 inch degree rise and 8 degree sweep. Its a 720mm width. My stem is a 70mm, 6 degree rise. Feels pretty good but will probably swap it for a 60mm this summer. Not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Ive had both sets of brakes and I would go with XTR ever time.... the R1 are under powered and have no modulation to them and they fell just on or off! The XTR are unreal so much power and the control is modulated, I also now use the new style Shimano brakes on my DH bike, the only bad thing is that they pull back to much before biting but this is good for them never rubbing even when they get full of mud.

Im 5' 10" and I normally like a short top tube and I feel the 70 is perfect for me, i tried a 50 a few weeks a go but didnt like it to much for climbing.

The rear brake is internally routed through the front end of the frame but the external on the rear
    XTR Trails it is then! To be honest I only like the Formula's for the looks, not the best reason for choosing a set of stoppers

I tried out a Large SA Tallboy LTc which fitted me nicely, but the Spider has a slightly longer top tube according to the geometry spec sheets. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I am 6'1 with avg reach (longer torso but avg arms). I have the new Race Face next flat wide bar on mine. In reality, I believe it is a 1/4 inch degree rise and 8 degree sweep. Its a 720mm width. My stem is a 70mm, 6 degree rise. Feels pretty good but will probably swap it for a 60mm this summer. Not sure yet.
    Thanks for the info smithrider.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have rode both the Spider 29 Comp and the Tallboy LTc as it was the LTc all the way for me until I laid eyes on a Spider frame on the wall of my LBS. Not ridden the Spider yet, waiting for them to build it up before I can demo it. As the Spider has a slightly longer top tube than the LTc I was considering getting a Med Spider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im 5 11ish ordered a large, will that work with a 50mm tem

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bikes look sweet! I have a quick and possibly odd question but are the decals on the top tube under clear coat or can you remove them?

Dude, got any schwag?
    Under clear.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Jep this is the only thing on the Intense I do not like so much - the decals. Too many too big and no other choice.. however having a dream of a ride I can live with that - would love to see custom painting - or just a boring matte black white theme..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah that is the only thing I am not taken by on this frame. For me if you are spending this much I want a custom paint option Intense, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis take note! :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mr fish did u get a large or med being that ur 6ft

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So I think I'm gonna sale the large I just bought and get a medium any one interested 2300 and uninstalled headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How about some ride reports/comparisons on this bike, not much info out there yet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Jep this is the only thing on the Intense I do not like so much - the decals. Too many too big and no other choice.. however having a dream of a ride I can live with that - would love to see custom painting - or just a boring matte black white theme..
    +1 for boring matte black instead of too many gaudy gold graphics! Although didn't stop me from ordering one!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes1 View Post
    Mr fish did u get a large or med being that ur 6ft
    ordered a Large in the end, not arrived yet though so don't know how well it fits!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

... and if we just ...

Be interested in build spec? Especially handlebar and stem specs please :-)
    My build:

1 x 10 Xtr Group (with shadow + XT rear mech because that's what i already had)
    Hope press fit BB
    RS Sid XX 120mm solo air
    Roval Control SL carbon wheels, 15mm front, 142 rear
    100mm Reverb
    Fizik Gobi
    Ritchey C260 stem 60mm
    Crank bros cobalt 11 720mm carbon bar
    Xtr M985 race brakes
    XTR pedals
    nobby nic 2.25
    KMC SL gold chain
    Hope headset

Weighed at my local shop at 26.1lbs with pedals and tubes in the tyres.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    New Wheels

Spider Comp Photo Thread-spider-new-wheels.jpg

mtbr member

Had to post review!

Not one to post reviews of bikes, but this one is just to damn fun.
    Had the SCTBLTc in medium, just too big for me at 5'6". This is a small and not only does it fit better, but rides circles around it!
    It's a all about geometry! this bikes is superior in corners and switchbacks as well as all around a far easier bike to handle. The 17.5 chainstays and 67d H/A make it able to do anything you throw at it.
    The key is not to use the Fox 140, go X-Fusion Trance all the way. It has a 15mm shorter axle to crown measurement compared to the Fox still at 140mm travel. This sets the bike up to perfection and not Fox!
    Same on the Rear, the RS Monarch Plus greatly help the tunability, while the piggyback version does eliminate the h20 btl, going the standard Monarch and will be the way to go.
    I'm not a big fan of the VPP, but this big had less pedal feedback than the SCLT, very noticeable to me. Just a really fun, doesn't feel like big wheels, bike!
    Small Spider
    X-Fusion Trace 140mm (soon to be black)
    RS Monarch Plus
    Enve Am
    Sram XO trail
    WTB Weir-wolves 2.3 (new version)
    Bionicon C-Guide (do not do Sram Type 2, it will knock from chain pull)
    About 27.5lb but who's counting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider Comp Photo Thread-spider-comp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good looking bike Ethan. I hear ya on keeping the axle to crown height in check on the fork. I went the route of getting a fox 34 float and lowering it to 130mm to accomplish something similiar to yours. However, I think the one advantage the 34 has right now over other 29er forks is the 51mm offset which really helps the handling on slacker 29ers. I may be off 10mm in travel, but it has a lower axle to crown height and a good offset.

Enjoy the ride! Looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The 17.5 chainstays and 67d H/A make it able to do anything you throw at it.
    The key is not to use the Fox 140, go X-Fusion Trance all the way. It has a 15mm shorter axle to crown measurement compared to the Fox still at 140mm travel.

If your using a standard 140 travel for not a fox 34 then your head angle won't be 67 deg more like 68 deg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Finally got my new frame after a 9 week wait.

Spider Comp Photo Thread-photo.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast